Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

Wich folders and files to back up

Gentlemen, I am tightening my backup-regime further and need some advice. What files and directories are necessary to back up with respect to sucsessfully restoring an FSX-installation gone bad?

Thanks,

23.png

Unless you know  where  all the  registy files  go with the fsx installation it will make it  hard  to do, my only  advice is  to use  a program which I use acronis true image, there are others of course,  this backs up my whole   drive to an external drive so if some thing happens  just a matter of re installing  again

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Don't really see an easy way to backup FSX once you've started installing addons as most developers use all kinds of tricks to prevent piracy. I have a FSX dedicated machine that I just imaged the entire harddrive once I had it stable and everything installed.

Yes..taking an image of the boot drive c: drive (where your OS is and the drive of your FSX is, is the best way.

Do it after a most of your addons are in and its stable and good.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Continuous Mirror Image Backup !!!

Absolutely without a doubt the best decision I ever made related to Flightsim.

Currently I'm backing up to a USB 3.0 - 2 TB External drive.( I hope to make that a 3TB )

This gives me many snapshots of my C Drive containing Windows 8 and installed FSX, etc...

Just the other day I experienced an issue with FSX, much the same as many other times in the past.

Whatever the reason for a start over, I can roll back to yesterday, or pick another.

Saving me weeks of misery getting Flightsim back to that sweet spot I had worked so hard to achieve.

Now I can have it all restored 100%

Wow, used it twice already !!

I'm using Carbonite for unlimited online backup and for mirror image backup.

May be other good options out there as well.

Cheers

Thanks guys, great info. I have Acronis and a 2T MyBook USB 3.0 HDD so I am going the image road.

23.png

I use the built in Win 7 backup since its free.

But not very reliable

I use the built in Win 7 backup since its free.

You probably  find it only copies folders   but not  the actual  registry  files  etc  that you need  for  a  complete reinstall of programs. 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

You probably  find it only copies folders   but not  the actual  registry  files  etc  that you need  for  a  complete reinstall of programs. 

Does Acronis do that?

Yes it  does it mirrors your hard drive , plus you can make  up a boot copy of your hard drive  just in case,  other programs  can probably  do the  same but iam happy with it

Peter kelberg

Excuse me gentlemen, to pull this thread back from oblivion, but I have an additional question regarding this.

Backdrop: I have now initiated frequent image-backups with Acronis to a 3tb external HDD USB 3.0 wich I run almost everyday, and I always run an incremental imagebackup before installing something new. I also have collected all my installers, serials and proofs of purchase in a separate folder, included in the image backup, and also put on the external HDD outside the image backup. I have also made a bootable media on DVD.

So, I should be well covered for a diskcrash or a change to SSD when I feel like it.

My question is: wich files are good to backup instantly when doing some installing? I know about fsx.cfg, scenery.cfg and dll.xml. Are there other files I should include in a rapid filebackup in case I need a short revert?

Thanks guys,

23.png

Thanks cptawsom, appreciate it mate :)

23.png