Sign in to follow this  
Guest Longyear

My take on Bojote's tweaks

Guest Longyear

Hi,Like most people here I tried Bojote's cfg file (containing BP=0, MEMFIX, etc), and whilst I immediately saw a 25% incerase in frame rates and a reduction in microstutters, for me the trade-off in having to set AA and AF to FSX's control and the resultant shimmering and jaggies was not worth the change.The one this I challenged in those threads was the statements that "nHancer is history, useless, and no longer needed".For me, using nHancer to set AA to 'enhance the application setting' up to 8xSQ results in an absolutey shimmer free rendering and (frame rates apart for now) a truly visually stunning FSX as a result.Complex glass gaugse like the G1000s and PMDG MD-11s glass screens were infinately more enjoyble with no irritating (and often painful!) shimmering and 'dancing of lines'.When I used *******'s tweaks I got the promised improvement in frame rates and smoothness, which is fantastic but because the advice involved not usign nHancer, and using only FSXs low scale AA and AF, I got nasty shimmering, particularly on complex glass gauges (the IRIS DA-40's G1000 was just not readable any more), and also on FSX's sea and inland waters.So..... I decided to be a rebel; I kept *******' CFG in place but I reinstalled nHancer and returned my settings to "enhance the application setting", with AA at 8xSQ and AF at 8x.I only have a 8800GTS 512Mb so I knew this was dead against *******' advice and was probably going to put too much strain on my GPU.However to my infiniate surprise and joy, I have now flown around 8 hours with the performance benefits of the CFG and 'UsePools=0' firmly in place, but also with absolutely zero shimmering and rock solid AA and AF in place, from nHancer.No crashes, no distortions.This is the best I have ever seen FSX looking and performing.For info, I am using the 'lite' CFG that ******* supplied here on this forum.I have a Q9650 at standard 3.0Ghz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 8800GTS 512Mb, and Win XP SP3.So this post may have started off looking as though I was going to criticize ******* but far from it - I just wanted to point out that (at your own risk) you many want to challenge some of the 'rules' and try your own thing.For me, nHancer is from from redundant and (until nVidia focus their driver development on FSX and not just mass shooter games) is still the single-biggest factor in giving me drool-worthy visuals in FSX.Also, there are some aspects of *******' CFG that I would challenge - I really can't see the point is wasting cycles on HIGH 2.0 water settings, when LOW 2.0 looks almost as good! Also I find the weather settings excessive (100% 3D clouds!). FSX still looks amazing with around 20-30% detailed clouds, especially with programs like REX. Also, ******* recommends NO AI traffic, which is not an acceptable approach for some.So my message is, yes, the messiah has undoubtedly brought us something magical! ....but keep your willingness to challenge, and try your own things.That said ........... everything you try on your PC is at your own risk. Everyone can and does see differing results and stability. Just like your car, you "remap" your FSX ECU at your own risk!

So my message is, yes, the messiah has undoubtedly brought us something magical! ....but keep your willingness to challenge, and try your own things.
It was because I CHALLENGED the state of things that brough you the tweaks I've published in the last weeks... so, who am I to tell others not to challenge my own advice!!! please do, now lets discuss it :)The Water settings on LOW 1.0 and HIGH 2.0 take the 'exact' same ammount of CPU cycles ;) it's GPU what they affect, because they rely heavily on hardware programable shaders :) only water MAX 2.0 is the one that EATS your CPU completely.P.D (by the way, my config has no AI traffic because I fly VATSIM) So, I don't use AI, except for testing...thats the only two observations :)

At first I was concerned too. Then little by little all the issues were resolved. Today, I marvel at my graphics and how smooth fsx runs on my system.Just to give you an example, I maxed out my AG and scenery using YBBN, and fps were still 20-30 and smooth flight. It's only going to get better when I change my video card.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

At first I was concerned too.
Judging for the ammount of people reading this thread this very moment it appears a lot of people were 'concerned' too ;) but, like you say... he is making a VERY valid point, that of 'experimentation' and challenge the advice, which is GOOD.

Guest 413X3

I got rid of water 2x high because it looks too unrealistic. I don't know where everyone flies but I have yet to see water reflecting its surroundings so much

I got rid of water 2x high because it looks too unrealistic. I don't know where everyone flies but I have yet to see water reflecting its surroundings so much
David, I'll be sending you during the week my custom Shaders using Shader Model 3.0 for FSX so you use them with HIGH 2.0 and my custom ENBSeries config, of course, only if you want to beta test stuff ;) (and in case you are wondering, I already solved all the issues I had before running SM3.0 in FSX)I was planning on releasing them today, but I would like some people to do some private beta testing first.

David, I'll be sending you during the week my custom Shaders using Shader Model 3.0 for FSX so you use them with HIGH 2.0 and my custom ENBSeries config, of course, only if you want to beta test stuff ;) (and in case you are wondering, I already solved all the issues I had before running SM3.0 in FSX)I was planning on releasing them today, but I would like some people to do some private beta testing first.
Good. Feel free to PM me :( Got some time today and tomorrow, it's my BDay so I'll be taking free from work. Since wife is at work, I'll be doing my own day. Evening is reserved ;-)

Hi Word Not Allowed,H a p p y B i r t h d a y

Good. Feel free to PM me :( Got some time today and tomorrow, it's my BDay so I'll be taking free from work. Since wife is at work, I'll be doing my own day. Evening is reserved ;-)

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi Word Not Allowed,H a p p y B i r t h d a y
Oh thank you very much! But on that note: I'm getting from my wife 2 Saitek TQ as a present!

So..... I decided to be a rebel; I kept *******' CFG in place but I reinstalled nHancer and returned my settings to "enhance the application setting", with AA at 8xSQ and AF at 8x.
I also have returned to the "Enhance the application" setting which, with 8XS AA and 16X AF gives me great visuals.Another thing which I noticed in Bojote's config is the LOD radius at 3.5 instead of 4.5 which I have typically used.Interestingly, I find that 3.5 works really nicely with the PNW scenery where 4.5 tends to overwhelm the terrainloading process. For native FSX scenery, however, I find that 4.5 gives me better visuals in the distance andmy system can handle it OK.So, I need to adjust this in game depending on where I fly.... for now at least... :(

Bert

Happy Birthday Word Not Allowed!send me an email: jaltuve at gmail.com and I'll send you the files you need.

Guest 413X3

Cool, Thanks *******! I just emailed youI run 6.5 lod radius, takes away fps but looks beautiful

I run 6.5 lod radius
Thats a big 'No No' :)Specially with BP=0!!! do what I do, Just make it short, 3.5 and STUFF all the terrain with autogen :) that way it looks all 'covered'

Guest 413X3

so I won't notice a difference when looking at the scenery? I thought the higher the number the farther away it draws? It helps make the world look good when I'm flying big iron at high flight levels

I thought the higher the number the farther away it draws?
And the farther away objects are batched too ;) if you want to compensate for the 'blurriness' then increase FFTF to 0.50 and you are all set. Remeber, that FFTF won't impact performance IF you are using AffinityMask=14