Sign in to follow this  
INFORIS

Distant Blurries

Does the MipBias Tweak have any Effect on these Blurries?VideoCard= XFX ATI Radeon 4650 HD30w1jdd.jpg

No. FSX textures by design will be blurrier the father they are from you. The only thing you can do to try to reduce them is increase your LOD radius which in itself puts even more strain on your system.

You should increase your AA and more specifically, your AF levels. Also you can configure the LOD to be higher than the slider depicts. You can enter any value, but I wouldn't go higher than 7 to start. it's in your fsx.cfg.... lod_radius = 4.5 is default I think

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Normally I would say try nHancer but I see you're using an ATI card. I'm not exactly sure what's best, but my experience has been the FSX in-game settings (anisotropic and anti aliasing) are poor compared to what nHancer can provide.I have the same issue as you (my PC is getting to be the low end these days... sigh) But even with the jpeg compression what I have here is much better than in-game settings only.Untitled-28.jpgMaybe someone with an ATI card can help?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

You can generally use an LOD of 6.5 when flying high over flat lands. Flying low in the mountains (Darrington) - then all bets are off as there is a much greater surface area that needs to be textured at a higher rez not to mention AG. Blurries will also be aggravated when flying low and fast so you could be in trouble if you like personal jets.. Recommended low altitude mountain settings are LOD 3-4.5 and locked FPS 25-30. FL 20 and up 6.5 may be OK. Shouldn't FSX auto adjust it?I would jump on a GTX480 if it would allow 6.5 LOD in the mountains.jja

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

What is the upper LOD limit allowed within FSX? I've set it up to nine but not sure if FSX recognized that value.

Does the MipBias Tweak have any Effect on these Blurries?VideoCard= XFX ATI Radeon 4650 HD30w1jdd.jpg
Higher LODs will help in around the A/C but NOT distant blurries. However, The Shader Mod tweak (latest version yesterday) now includes a terrain specific negative LOD bias plus Aniso Filters to make the distant terrain a little bit more sharp.

Higher LODs will help in around the A/C but NOT distant blurries. However, The Shader Mod tweak (latest version yesterday) now includes a terrain specific negative LOD bias plus Aniso Filters to make the distant terrain a little bit more sharp.
I must somewhat contradict this. Using higher LOD_RADIUS, eg. 9.5 vs default 4.5 (high setting) gives MUCH clearer and sharper textures both near aircraft and in distance. I made some comparison shots I believe at AS Madeira, where I was spot-looking towards a mountain in the background, and could clearly see changes between 4.5-5.5-6.5-7.5-9.5 setting, those I tested making for each one and the same shot (fixed spot saved). I could clearly see mountain textures clear up.Point is with higher LOD Nr, highres textures spread more widely around aircraft position. Lowerres textures are futher away. You don't recognize them at 9.5, since they are far enough. Both ground level and all up to 60,000ft. There is a big change you are going to get an OOM error at such high LOD. That is why a setting of 7.5 is a very good compromise.Keep in mind that some HP is needed, FPS ARE gonna drop a bit with higher LOD, of course...And, don't ask me why always .5. I just do it like that.

I must somewhat contradict this. Using higher LOD_RADIUS, eg. 9.5 vs default 4.5 (high setting) gives MUCH clearer and sharper textures
Sure, by 'distant' we are talking about those 'beyond' the LOD_RADIUS coverage, those blurries can be controlled via negative LOD bias settings as long as Aniso filtering is also enabled (to avoid shimmering)The last update to the shader 3.0 mod has this 'feature' and you can clearly see WAY BEYOND your LOD_RADIUS coverage.

Sure, by 'distant' we are talking about those 'beyond' the LOD_RADIUS coverage, those blurries can be controlled via negative LOD bias settings as long as Aniso filtering is also enabled (to avoid shimmering)The last update to the shader 3.0 mod has this 'feature' and you can clearly see WAY BEYOND your LOD_RADIUS coverage.
Alright. I did install 3.0 today. Will see how it works with lower LOD settings, than 9.5, which I btw. absolutely love.EDIT: 4.5 ugly. 7.5, same as before. 9.5 is a keeper :-)

But what is the maximum value that FSX will accept for LOD?
There is no maximum that will be "accepted". There is a memory limit though. At some point virtual space is going to fill over 4GB, and then it will crash. The higher the number, the longer will be loading - try 15 or so, I did. Performance will drop, very far highres textures, and VS usage at about 3.8GB. Takes a while to load though :(

Alright, I've installed new shaders and i made a Backup This time I also tweaked the LOD Radius to 6.50000Heres what my sim looks like nowi41k5t.jpgIt looks a bit Better