Sign in to follow this  
bojote

bojote's fsx.cfg file

Good evening Bojote, Thanks for all your hard work. I spent my evening tweaking my FSX a bit and finally installed your performance shaders... FSX is so smooth. I did all my testing in FSDT's LSGG... I have one last issue that I am trying to solve. If I fly away from the aiport then turn back and look at it the airport will be grey... All the textures load very quickly but I would like to solve that. http://www.geneva-racing.ch/images2/fsx/fs...sgg_texture.jpgI created a post on FSDT's forum. I added this in my fsx.cfg :[FSDREAMTEAM]AntiPopUp=100AltitudeCull=1It mad the textures load a bit faster but did not make the problem go away. Here are my specs : Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair HX 750W 7 64 bit pour FSX et Vista 64 pour les autres jeux ASUS P6T Deluxe iCore 7 920 @3.4 GHZ refroidi par Corsair H50 6*2 giga Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 Asus GTX285 TOP Crucial C300 128 for 7 and FSXThanks again for your awesome work,Cheers from LSGG,Thomas

@Bojote: Can you give me an answer to this?It's known that fibers running always at Core0 as you mentioned. So that's why lots of users use the AffinityMask to put the weight on the other cores, and let core0 free for fiber calculations. So far so good, here are some examples (in following I am talking about "THREADS" (!) not CORES. Please note also that first thread is called "core0" and not "core1" Be aware that maximum value for AffinityMask is 255)An usual 4core CPU has 4 threads. We want to have thread0 alone, so we put the load on thread1, thread2 and thread3. The correct value is AffinityMask=14If we use an i7 CPU with Hyperthreading DISABLED we also would have 4 threads and we use the same AffinityMask=14.If we use an i7 CPU with Hyperthreading ENABLED, we would have 8 threads in summary (thread0, thread1, ... thread7) . So in this example, we have:

All the textures load very quickly but I would like to solve that.
Thomas, texture loading can be tweaked changing the TextureMaxLoad value.. can you check you have it in your FSX.cfg? here is my latest fsx.cfg..
//// FSX Config File By ******* Altuve (Bojote) // Last Revision May 31, 2010// *** This file has been tweaked to run maximum performance, looks and stability// *** ONLY TO BE USED ON i7's running > 3.8Ghz and a GTX 280/480's // *** Do not change ANY value, otherwise the achieved balance will be lost// *** Remember to LIMIT your frames using an external limiter @ 25 or 30 FPS// *** Tick AA and AnisoFiltering inside FSX, set driver to application controlled//[BufferPools]UsePools=0 // Setting this to 1 will turn the BufferPools ON (stability), setting it to 0 disables them (Performance).RejectThreshold=98304 // Vertex data at or over 96KB does not get pooled and bypasses the bufferpoolPoolSize=2097152 // Defines a 2MB BufferPool[FSDREAMTEAM]AntiPopUp=100AltitudeCull=1[JOBSCHEDULER]AffinityMask=12[GRAPHICS]// DPUPBUFFERSIZE=500000HIGHMEMFIX=1ALLOW_SHADER_30=1STALE_BUFFER_THRESHOLD=20 // Valid values are 5-1024SHADER_OPTIMIZE=1SHADER_PARTIAL_PRECISION=1ForceFullScreenVSync=1ForceWindowedVSync=1TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024NUM_LIGHTS=8AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=0COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1LANDING_LIGHTS=1AC_SELF_SHADOW=0EFFECTS_QUALITY=2GROUND_SHADOWS=0TEXTURE_QUALITY=3See_Self=1Text_Scroll=0D3D10=0IMAGE_QUALITY=0SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED_10=1693458432SHADER_CACHE_PRIMED=1693458432[Display]// ForceVCShadowMap=1 // Default is 0UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=0TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=10TextureMaxLoad=21ChangeTime=4.000000TransitionTime=4.000000ActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255ActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=0,28,140,64NonActiveWindowTitleTextColor=255,255,255NonActiveWindowTitleBackGroundColor=24,33,87,64InfoUpperRightTextColor=255,0,0InfoUpperRightBackGroundColor=0,0,0,0InfoLowerLeftTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerLeftBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoLowerRightTextColor=255,255,255InfoLowerRightBackGroundColor=255,0,0,128InfoBrakesEnable=FalseInfoParkingBrakesEnable=FalseInfoPauseEnable=TrueInfoSlewEnable=TrueInfoStallEnable=FalseInfoOverspeedEnable=FalseBLOOM_EFFECTS=0SKINNED_ANIMATIONS=1WideViewAspect=True[TERRAIN]// BATCH_AUTOGEN2=1 // Default is 0// TEXTURE_FORMAT=7 // Default is 7// TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1000// TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=600MIN_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 // Default is 15MAX_DETAIL_TEXTURE_LEVEL=21 // Default is 21TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=10 // Default is 8SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=20LOD_RADIUS=3.500000AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5MESH_COMPLEXITY=100MESH_RESOLUTION=22TEXTURE_RESOLUTION=29DETAIL_TEXTURE=1WATER_EFFECTS=6[Main]// FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.50DisablePreload=0User Objects=Airplane, HelicopterSimObjectPaths.0=SimObjects\AirplanesSimObjectPaths.1=SimObjects\RotorcraftSimObjectPaths.2=SimObjects\GroundVehiclesSimObjectPaths.3=SimObjects\BoatsSimObjectPaths.4=SimObjects\AnimalsSimObjectPaths.5=SimObjects\MiscSimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\MyTrafficXSimObjectPaths.7=Aircraft// SimObjectPaths.8=SimObjects\AI// SimObjectPaths.9=SimObjects\UT2 Aircraft// SimObjectPaths.10=SimObjects\AIComplex// SimObjectPaths.11=SimObjects\WOAIMaximized=1HideMenuNormal=1HideMenuFullscreen=1PerfBucket=7ProcSpeed=14767Location=0,0,1280,720,\\.\DISPLAY1[SCENERY]// MissingLibraryAlert=1// ShowMissingTextureAlert=1// MAX_ASYNC_BATCHING_JOBS=2 // Default is 1 (Should match the number of texture manager threads)// ObjectsToBatchPerFrame=30SmallPartRejectRadius=0.0LENSFLARE=0DAWN_DUSK_SMOOTHING=1IMAGE_COMPLEXITY=5[Weather]WindshieldPrecipitationEffects=0MinGustTime=10MaxGustTime=500MinGustRampSpeed=1MaxGustRampSpeed=200MinVarTime=5MaxVarTime=50MinVarRampSpeed=10MaxVarRampSpeed=75TurbulenceScale=0.750000WeatherServerAddress=fs2k.zone.comWeatherServerPort=80WeatherGraphDataInDialog=0AdjustForMagVarInDialog=1DynamicWeather=0DownloadWindsAloft=0DisableTurbulence=0CLOUD_DRAW_DISTANCE=6DETAILED_CLOUDS=1CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY=8THERMAL_VISUALS=0[SOUND]AmbientUIMusicVolume=-6.000000SOUND=1SOUND_QUALITY=2SOUND_LOD=1UISound=1AmbientUI=0PrimaryDevice={DEF00000-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}VoiceDevice={DEF00002-9C6D-47ED-AAF1-4DDA8F2B5C03}SOUND_FADER1=0.100000SOUND_FADER2=0.400000SOUND_FADER3=0.450000SOUND_FADER4=-0.400000AmbientUIMusic=FSX01[PANELS]VIRTUAL_COCKPIT_TEXTURES_SCALE=2.0 // Default is 1.0IMAGE_QUALITY=1QUICKTIPS=0PANEL_OPACITY=100PANEL_MASKING=1PANEL_STRETCHING=1UNITS_OF_MEASURE=0DEFAULT_VIEW=0[CONTROLS]Controls_Default=StandardControls_Current=StandardKBDAIL=64KBDELEV=64KBDRUD=64force_master_gain=10000force_stick_force_enabled=0force_stick_shaker_enabled=0force_gear_bump_enabled=0force_crash_enabled=0force_ground_bumps_enabled=0force_master_enabled=0[TextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6[TextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2GForce=1,3FuelPercentage=1,4[TextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5WindDirectionAndSpeed=1,6FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2GForce=2,3FuelPercentage=2,4[SlewTextInfo.1]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5[SlewTextInfo.2]FrameRate=1,1LockedFrameRate=1,2[SlewTextInfo.3]Latitude=1,1Longitude=1,2Altitude=1,3Heading=1,4AirSpeed=1,5FrameRate=2,1LockedFrameRate=2,2[DynamicHeadMovement]LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.020000LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.010000RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.010000YawAccelOnHeadLat=-0.100000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.100000MaxHeadAngle=5.000000MaxHeadOffset=0.300000HeadMoveTimeConstant=1.000000[VirtualCopilot]VirtualCopilotActive=0[USERINTERFACE]PageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1Map_Orientation=0ShowAllACPaintSchemes=1SelectAircraftManufacturer=AllSelectAircraftPublisher=Flight1/CoolSkySelectAircraftType=AllSITUATION=c:\users\*******\documents\flight simulator x files\Last FsPassengersX save.FLT// SITUATION=FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIMDisplayFuelAsWeight=0[ATC]ShowATCText=0COMM_MSG_NONE_COLOR=FFFFFFFFCOMM_MSG_ATC_USER_COLOR=FFB6FFB6COMM_MSG_USER_ATC_COLOR=FFFFD21BCOMM_MSG_ATC_AI_COLOR=FF00FF00COMM_MSG_AI_ATC_COLOR=FFFF7840AutoOpenAirTrafficWindow=0UsePilotVoice=0PilotVoice=458752[PointOfInterestSystem]CycleSetting=2[TrafficManager]AirlineDensity=0GADensity=0FreewayDensity=0ShipsAndFerriesDensity=0LeisureBoatsDensity=0IFROnly=0AIRPORT_SCENERY_DENSITY=0[AContain]ShowLabels=0ShowUserLabel=0ShowLabelManufacturer=0ShowLabelModel=1ShowLabelTailNumber=0ShowLabelDistance=1ShowLabelAltitude=1ShowLabelAirline=1ShowLabelAirlineAndFlightNumber=0ShowLabelFlightPlan=0ShowLabelContainerId=0ShowLabelAirspeed=0ShowLabelHeading=0LabelDelay=1000LabelColor=FFFF0000[INTERNATIONAL]ASLAT=2ASLON=1MEASURE=0[REALISM]PFactor=1.000000Torque=1.000000GyroEffect=1.000000CrashTolerance=1.000000General=1.000000UnlimitedFuel=FalseTrueAirspeed=FalseAutoCoord=FalseRealMixture=TrueStressDamage=TrueGEffect=TrueManualLights=TrueGyroDrift=TrueCrashWithDyn=FalseCrashDetection=TrueAutoTrim=False[SIM]SYSCLOCK=1[STARTUP]DEMO=0SHOW_OPENING_SCREEN=1STARTUP_DEMO=LoadWindow=1[FACILITIES]COUNTRY=STATE=CITY=GTL_BUTTON=1232[Misc]Com_Rate=7[RWW_WEATHER_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[FlightPlanMap]LineWidth=2SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=1SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_waypoints=1show_airways=1show_markers=1show_volume_boundaries=1show_ac_twr=1[MAPVIEW_MAP]SHOW_AIRPORTS=1SHOW_VORS=1SHOW_NDBS=1SHOW_APPROACHES=1SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=1SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1show_flight_history=1[WeatherMap]SHOW_AIRPORTS=0SHOW_VORS=0SHOW_NDBS=0SHOW_APPROACHES=0SHOW_INTERSECTIONS=0SHOW_VICTOR=0SHOW_JET=0SHOW_AIRSPACE=0SHOW_FLIGHTPLAN=1SHOW_WEATHERSTATIONS=1SHOW_WEATHERSYSTEMS=1SHOW_DATATAGS=1SHOW_TERRAIN=1[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480.0]Mode=1280x720x32Anisotropic=1AntiAlias=1[DISPLAY.Device.NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480.0.0]Mode=1280x720x32Anisotropic=1AntiAlias=1[MULTIPLAYER]AccountLogin=1AccoutUsername=blkslvr94condAccoutPassword=0LanUsername=PlayerDefaultLobby=Free FlightVoiceVolume=-0.800000

@Bojote: Can you give me an answer to this?Thanks in advance.Pegasus.
Pegasus, long time ago I tested the performance in FSX using all 8 threads (HT on) so it was 4 cores / 8 threads.Performance, was ok, however every 30 seconds or so, I experienced terrible stutters, sound distortion, etc. After, countless hours of observation, I also noticed that actual FSX performance was 'exactly' the same, when using either all 8 cores or 3 (using affinity mask 12, which uses core 3 and 4, leaving Core0 for fiber work) so I decided to simply let FSX use the least ammount of cores, while maintaining the same performance. Now. I know some people will disagree.. and I completely understand their points, however, as a programmer, I can assure you that 'more' does not neccesarly mean (better) in multithreaded applications, specially if they are not optimized for > 4 cores, this is due to syncronization issues and the fact that having more threads running mean that the application will have a hard time trying to keep things in sync. So, in this cases, is better to find the 'sweet' spot.. even enterprise level apps won't perform optimally when using more than 4 cores, they will need to be specifically optimized for that. so, in short, my recomendation is to either use AffinityMask 14, or, if you trust my advice go with 12.FSX is (in fact) able to use all 8 cores, but they are good ONLY for terrain/texture loading. With FSX you don't want MANY cores running, but just a few running at FULL speed. 4.2 or higher.

Dear Bojote,I also have tried lots of stuff with that, in my case at luck I don't have the stuttering problems you mentioned with HT enabled as I work always with HT enabled on my machine (i do also video conversions, working with graphic and sound, and really need HT enabled) i am monitoring lots of stuff while working with FSX since over a year, and I immediately realized, that FSX only uses the "real" threads of each core unless not specified explicit by the AffinityMask. When HT is enabled on an i7, there are 8 threads available (starting with thread0, thread1, ... thread 7) AffinityMask=14 would be false here, because thread1 thread2 and thread3 would be used (==> 1st core plus the first thread of 2nd core). Remember that thread1, thread3, thread5, thread7 are the hyperthreads and FSX do NOT use them by default (when no AffinityMask is set).In my opinion that means, that FSX is not good at handling its work with the hyperthreads. So, what AffinityMask would be good for i7 with HT enabled? AffinityMask=84 would be a possible value, it results in using only the 'real' cores 2,3,4 (in detail: thread2, thread4 and thread6). So the physical 1st core (thread1 + thread2) is completely untouched by FSX.I tested this AffinityMask=84, too. But: how should I realize if it's good for FSX or not? In my test scenarios I loaded a predefined flight (default 747-400 at runway KJFK) but the frames are always the same, regardless what AffinityMask I use. Should I change FTFF accordingly? If so, please tell me which value I should have FTFF set on, so I can test?As told before, I think that AffinityMask=14 is wrong on i7 when HT is enabled (8 threads) because this will not result in what we are mainly intended to (=divorce Fibers and Main). You told me about AffinityMask=12. Why? On a normal 4 core (4 threads) machine AffinityMask=12 would lead in using physical core three and four. Why would you want that?I'm looking forward to hear your opinion.Regards,Pegasus.

[FSDREAMTEAM]AntiPopUp=100AltitudeCull=1Jesus,Does this help FSDT airports load without the initial slight pause?Thanks.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

[FSDREAMTEAM]AntiPopUp=100AltitudeCull=1Jesus,Does this help FSDT airports load without the initial slight pause?Thanks.
Yes it does, but it will not eliminate them. It will simply make them happen farther away from the airport.

@*******: Please look one post over DJJose, I am looking forward to read your point of view.

On a normal 4 core (4 threads) machine AffinityMask=12 would lead in using physical core three and four. Why would you want that?
Because AffinityMask will NOT affect the actual fiber work going on in CORE0, meaning, that even though AffinityMask=12 instructs FSX to use only 2 cores (three and four), FSX is really using 3 cores: (that is Core0, Core2, Core3 to be exact)Fibers will ALWAYS run in Core0 regardless of your AffinityMask setting, so that means FSX will effectively use 3 threads/cores for the application. this threads will run: Fibers/Terrain + Main Scheduler + Texture Loaders If you use more than 3 cores, Fibers/Terrain and Main scheduler will NOT benefit from it, only the texture loaders will make use of those aditional cores, you can see this for yourself, simply use perfmon and select the right counters, log them and you'll see.Also, dont mess with the FFTF value... leave it at default, it won't impact anything if you run AffinityMask 12 or 14.Now, since you have HT on, for your particular case, the 'equivalent' of AffinityMask 12 would be the following:00 00 01 01 (the ones -1- represent the active threads) there is 8 digits in total, representing the 8 threads available.now, reverse it (binary numbers are read from right to left):10 10 00 00Now, change it to decimal:AffinityMask=160 (Equivalent to AffinityMask=12 with HT off)AffinityMask=168 (Equivalent to AffinityMask=14 with HT off)Don't worry, AffinityMask=84 and 168 are basically the same thing, the only change being 'which' thread is usded from the core (Primary or secondary)One more thing, I think you are worrying to much about the 'impact' this will have on performance... The real performance breackthrought in FSX is BP=0 -or- the alternative method (RejectThreshold) and if you have an ATI card the Shader Mod 3.0 (nVidia will not benefit much from the mod as ATI cards do) It's been aprox 2 months since the last time I tweaked anything on my fsx.cfg file, use it as a reference if you want and test it to see how your FSX performs.Cheers,

Because AffinityMask will NOT affect the actual fiber work going on in CORE0, meaning, that even though AffinityMask=12 instructs FSX to use only 2 cores (three and four), FSX is really using 3 cores: (that is Core0, Core2, Core3 to be exact)
Alright. AffinityMask=12 on a default 4 core system with no HT enabled means: FSX uses thread0 for fibers, and thread2 (3rd physical core) + thread3 (4th physical core) for the rest.

is it quite the same if HT is enabled and using AM=80 ? That's just my question I had :)
It should be the exact same thing.. however, having HT off also means you can run the cores MUCH faster because the reduced power requirements. Also, the explanation about fibers, Main scheduler and Texture Manager running different threads have been discussed at lenght by ex-aces members in the past, you'll have to search the forums and/or google it. I suggest you read Adam Szofran paper on terrain architecture, also check comments related to SP1 improvements and you'll see its all there :)As for your question when only 3 physical cores are available, I would not touch AffinityMask under such scenario.

You have to explain that more detailed please, I don't understand this. If I log the several threads, I only see the load, but I don't know if Main scheduler or Texture Scheduler is running on a specific thread. How do you see that?
First, log it. then, graph it (realtime preferably) if you have a second computer, even better, you can monitor CPU usage remotely and this is what you'll see:Fibers:They are responsible for mesh terrain loading, they DO NOT load the actual textures, but the actual layout. Fibers need to work in sync with the texture managers, they can not multitask, they need to work in (co-operation with) the texture manager threads, meaning that the more TEXTURE manager threads you have, the higher the burden on the actual work for the fibers to do, specially in the 'sync/co-operation part'Main Scheduler:Basically EVERYTHING related to panels, Simconnect, AI, weather etc etc etc..Texture Manager:Autogen pre-batches every x minutes, texture loading based on the fibers work. This threads are responsible for the actual 'scenery loading' what you see out there, texture loading, autogen loadingNow, using the above explanation observe and you'll see how your different actions impact the threads in FSX.I suggest you use an external FPS limiter, limit your FPS to 25 this will allow you to better observe the Main Scheduler behavior. Fiber behavior will be dependant on the terrain surface. The most irregular the surface, the more work you'll see CORE0 doing. Texture Managers will be very active under situations where terrain resolution is <= 30cm and/or when flying over high density autogen areas.

Fibers:They are responsible for mesh terrain loading, they DO NOT load the actual textures, but the actual layout. Fibers need to work in sync with the texture managers, they can not multitask, they need to work in (co-operation with) the texture manager threads, meaning that the more TEXTURE manager threads you have, the higher the burden on the actual work for the fibers to do, specially in the 'sync/co-operation part'
The master is back! :(

Jim Allen
support@skypilot.biz
SkyPilot Software home of FSXAssist / P3DAssist

LionheartVictoryBanner02s-369x97.png

Yes it does, but it will not eliminate them. It will simply make them happen farther away from the airport.
You my friend are a genius! :(

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.