Sign in to follow this  
EmileB

ASX no go via SimConnect on new networked notebook

I posted this problem in the SimConnect forum but no-one was able to offer a solution (I don't mean this as criticism, BTW). Although I don't think it's an ASX issue, I'll try posting it here if that's OK since someone may have come across it before. Please bear with me.I run FSX (SP2) on a very fast, three months old Windows 7 Home Premium (32 bit) machine. The FSX SDK (SP2) is also installed on it.I used to run ActiveSky X over my home LAN on a Compaq notebook SimConnect client which ran with Windows XP (home edition), without any problems. That notebook died a couple of weeks ago. It's been replaced with a new Compaq notebook that came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit installed. On that new Compaq, I installed SimConnect as a client, in accordance with the instructions in the ASX documentation under "networked configuration". Then I installed ASX and all its service packs. But now whenever I try to load ASX, I'm getting the dreaded "Simconnect SP1 managed version was not found to be correctly installed on this system..." message during startup.The weird thing about this is that on my old XP Compaq notebook as SimConnect client, ASX worked flawlessly over the LAN. In addition, the other day as a test I installed SimConnect as per instructions, followed by ASX and all its service packs, on my wife's PC which runs Vista Home Premium (32 bit) - and from this SimConnect client ASX also connected immediately to my FSX over the LAN ! So from two PCs it works/worked but not from a third and all three of them were configured as per instructions. This has got me beat :(.Another thing that happened when I installed ASX on the new notebook, is that when I specified the location of the FSX and AppData folders (which are found on the network on the server PC, of course) on first running ASX, I was asked for a username and password. Just typed in my username and hit Enter and ASX kept loading but subsequently still gave me the error message. I was not asked for username or password when I first ran ASX after installing it on my wife's Vista PC. I did not put any passwords on the FSX PC anyway.It must be something to do with my new notebook, possibly a security matter. All my PCs as well as my wife's are protected by NOD32 AV and their default Windows firewall. Are there any known issues when running SimConnect client under Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit ? Or is there anything else I could try on my new notebook ? Would the username/password request have something to do with it ? Any help much appreciated :(.Thanks,Emile.

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Hi,1. SDK get installed on the client computer, not the server. So, with that in mind:2. Did you install SDK1 from the FSX DVD, SDK1A from Microsoft and SDK2 from Microsoft all onto the client and run the SimConnect.msi from each?

Hi,1. SDK get installed on the client computer, not the server. So, with that in mind:2. Did you install SDK1 from the FSX DVD, SDK1A from Microsoft and SDK2 from Microsoft all onto the client and run the SimConnect.msi from each?
Hi Jim,Apologies if I overlooked something, but in the file /Program Files/HiFi/XEngine/ASX/Documentation/networkedconfig.html :1. nowhere did I find any mention of having to install the SDK on the client PC (it may be implied but it's not listed as a step to be done) :Confused:2. only the SimConnect.msi file in the \SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib folder is mentioned as needing to be copied to the client PC and run there :Confused:So that's all I did initially.However, after reading your post I completely uninstalled ASX and SimConnect Client.I did then install the SDK from the FSX DVD, the previously downloaded SDK SP1A and SDK SP2, in that order, on the networked notebook.Then I ran each of the SimConnect.msi files in that order from the following folders :\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\libThen I installed ASX. And indeed it worked :( !!Then, to test a hypothesis, once again I uninstalled ASX and all of the three versions of SimConnect Client and the FSX SDK from the networked notebook. So started again from scratch, so to speak. This time I just copied each of the SimConnect.msi files as above and in that order from the FSX "server" PC and ran them. Then I installed ASX. And once again it worked !I am very grateful for your reply. It has resulted in ASX now running as it should from my networked notebook.However, it would have helped if this process was reflected in the Networked Configuration file. Additionally, it looks like anyone who has the SDK and service packs already installed on their FSX "server" only needs to copy each of the three SimConnect.msi files to their SimConnect client PC and run them in the right order - no need to install the SDK and service packs on the client notebook as well, at least that was the case with my setup - FWIW.I also found that I did not need to enable Port 500 on either my "server" or "client" PC. On my setup at least, ASX runs fine without doing this.Once again Many Thanks for your response - it is much appreciated :(.Cheers,Emile.

Cheers,
Emile Bax.

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I've had a similar problem.Both ASX and XGraphics were running in my network with no problem. I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultima 64 from Vista Ultima 64. I've checked all firewall and Mcafee settings to make sure neither were blocking these programs. And allowed for changing files on my computer. I followed the networking instructions in the manual and rechecked all my settings. I get no errors from ASX. It appears from disk activity on server that files are being sent from client. Xguage works but there is no change to the weather on my server. No indication that there is communication with the server as I've seen before(green status across top of screen that server and client are communicating).Since these to computers were working together before is there some other change I need to make with Windows 7?Thanks to all who reply.Bill

Hi Jim,Apologies if I overlooked something, but in the file /Program Files/HiFi/XEngine/ASX/Documentation/networkedconfig.html :1. nowhere did I find any mention of having to install the SDK on the client PC (it may be implied but it's not listed as a step to be done) :Confused:2. only the SimConnect.msi file in the \SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\lib folder is mentioned as needing to be copied to the client PC and run there :Confused:So that's all I did initially.However, after reading your post I completely uninstalled ASX and SimConnect Client.I did then install the SDK from the FSX DVD, the previously downloaded SDK SP1A and SDK SP2, in that order, on the networked notebook.Then I ran each of the SimConnect.msi files in that order from the following folders :\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-RTM\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\LegacyInterfaces\FSX-SP1\SDK\Core Utilities Kit\SimConnect SDK\libThen I installed ASX. And indeed it worked :( !!Then, to test a hypothesis, once again I uninstalled ASX and all of the three versions of SimConnect Client and the FSX SDK from the networked notebook. So started again from scratch, so to speak. This time I just copied each of the SimConnect.msi files as above and in that order from the FSX "server" PC and ran them. Then I installed ASX. And once again it worked !I am very grateful for your reply. It has resulted in ASX now running as it should from my networked notebook.However, it would have helped if this process was reflected in the Networked Configuration file. Additionally, it looks like anyone who has the SDK and service packs already installed on their FSX "server" only needs to copy each of the three SimConnect.msi files to their SimConnect client PC and run them in the right order - no need to install the SDK and service packs on the client notebook as well, at least that was the case with my setup - FWIW.I also found that I did not need to enable Port 500 on either my "server" or "client" PC. On my setup at least, ASX runs fine without doing this.Once again Many Thanks for your response - it is much appreciated :(.Cheers,Emile.

Hi,The default Win 7 Network name is Homegroup which is different than XP and Vista and this needs to be changed to Workgroup so that Win 7 and non Win 7 computers can communicate.

Jim,Thanks for the quick reply.I looked through the ASX documentation and could not find where to change the workgroup name. When I display my network places both server and client have the same workgroup name. But it is not "workgroup". It's the name I assigned and it worked before with a VISTA server and an XP client.Please explane further.Thank you.Bill

Hi,The workgroup names have nothing to do with ASX and there is nothing in the ASX documents that provide help. However, this is a general networking requirement, that all computers on a network must belong to the same workgroup. So when you changed from Vista to Win 7 you went into Win 7 and actually changed the name of the workgroup to match the name of the workgroup that the client computer belongs to? The old Vista workgroup name is not the same as the new Win 7 workgroup name, by default.

Jim,As I said in my previous post. The workgroup name for both the server and client are the same. Therfore what is causing my problem.Thanks.Bill

Hi,What happens if you run the AI Traffic utility on the client with FSX running on the server?

AI Traffic Utility shows no Console. Just opens and closes. My workgroup name is @HOME on both server and client. Which it was running VISTA server and XP client and worked fine. Should this workgroup name be ok running Windows 7 server and XP client. As I said in my original post the only change I made was installing Windows 7 on the server.Where do we go from here?Thanks for your patience.Bill

Hi,You need to go back through the config files on both computers and also make sure both firewalls are allowing SimConnect to communicate. The same as with the ports through both firewalls. The fact that the AI Traffic utility does not work tells us that your SimConnects are not communicating properly.

Jim,AI Traffic is now working. I had the wrong IP address on the client. But still no weather.Simconnect works.WideFS works.Xgauge works.As I said previously based on drive activity on the server. It appears that data is being sent to the server. But the weather is not being changed even using XGraphics. No error messages.Again thanks for your patience.What's next?Bill

Hi,With FSX running on the server and ASX on the client, does ASX recognize your locations in FSX?There is an XEngine_Log file that may provide us with some details.Not sure why you mentioned X Graphics as that has nothing to do with the weather from ASX?Is Lock to Closest On in ASX?

With FSX running on the server and ASX on the client, does ASX recognize your locations in FSX? YES! When I change "Seek Station" to the current location. But, the map is at the last location on initial start.There is an XEngine_Log file that may provide us with some details. Log file attached. Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of fileNot sure why you mentioned X Graphics as that has nothing to do with the weather from ASX? I mentioned XGraphics because I thought it also writes to FSX when run.Is Lock to Closest On in ASX? YES 09:07:42: Logging Initialized09:07:42: XEngine v1.0.0.336 Copyright © 2007 HiFi Flightware09:07:42: Initializing XEngine09:07:42: Backing up FS Station Database Listfile to FSX's \Weather\Backup folder09:07:43: FSX station database backup complete09:07:43: World Magnetic Model has been loaded...09:07:54: Wx Station Database loaded: 9960 station(s)09:07:54: Airports Database loaded...09:07:54: Loading additional weather stations...09:08:18: Additional stations database load compete for 1704 stations09:08:19: SimConnect found and initialized09:08:21: Module Found: C:\Program Files\HiFi\XEngine\Modules\ASX.DLL09:08:21: ASX module load commencing...09:08:21: ASX ModuleFolder set to: C:\Program Files\HiFi\XEngine\ASX\09:08:21: ASX settings have been loaded...09:08:24: ASX controls initialized...09:08:24: ASX v1.0.0.1169 Copyright © 2007 HiFi Flightware09:08:24: ASX Module has been loaded09:08:24: Verifying status of FSX station mapping file...09:08:24: Updating FSX station database...09:08:25: FSX station list file verified OK, no update needed09:08:25: Main Background Wx Engine process has been started09:08:25: Online automatic download thread has been started09:08:25: Random element generation thread has been started09:08:25: Voice playback thread has been started09:08:25: Virtual station generation thread has been started09:08:25: Effects simulation thread has been started09:08:25: Wake sample and synthesis thread has been started09:08:25: 3 voice sets activated...09:08:25: Imagery processing thread started09:08:25: Wind Shift Stabilization thread started09:08:26: Initialization complete09:08:31: Downloading global weather data for 10/5/2010 1:08:31 PM (13Z) from Secondary Server...09:08:34: Saving weather to disk09:08:52: Download complete09:08:52: Populating weather stream with new data...09:08:52: Parsing line items09:10:01: 8190 stations were scanned (309 did not provide recent data)09:10:01: Weather stream fully populated with new data09:10:01: Weather synthesis thread has been started09:10:25: Synthesis updated...09:10:26: Weather injection thread has been started09:10:26: Data output thread has been started09:10:37: Station data export completed09:10:37: **** ASX Initial Weather Synthesis Complete! ****09:20:08: Downloading global weather data for 10/5/2010 1:20:08 PM (13Z) from Primary Server...09:20:12: Saving weather to disk09:20:46: Download complete09:20:46: Populating weather stream with new data...09:20:46: Parsing line items09:22:24: 8190 stations were scanned (277 did not provide recent data)09:22:24: Weather stream fully populated with new data09:22:38: Synthesis updated...09:24:27: XEngine Shutdown09:24:27: Logging StoppedThanks Again.Let me know what's next.Bill