Sign in to follow this  
Tui737

Active Sky 2012 & NGX

Just did another flight from PDX to SAN. Again, poor visibility at Portland and AS2012 did a great job showing it. I didn't get any performance hit until descending into San Diego with five busy cumulus layers but part of that is the LAX area which is a real hog. I wish I took some screenshots, the departure was absolutely stunning with the overcast clouds covering ground (which I could not see) and the base of nearby Mt. Hood.

Stormy today in Rome coast + AS2012...
stormy day and yet you see blue sky?? am I missing something?

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

there were 3 things that make me dislike REX2 and wonder if it is changed/correct in AS2012.1) lack of overcast sky - one of the most annoying thing with REX (which made me hate REX b/c of) was the fact that when it was raining and supposedly overcast sky, you would fly between clouds with large gapsin between them and you see the rain fall from the blue sky.2) inconsonance Fog - when there supposed to be fog , it only exists at a certain altitude.when you fly it would suddenly show up at a certain altitude and then disappear at a certain altitude (usually when getting close to the ground.3) constant Speed change - with REX during my flight (and I am talking about short flights) with either the NGX or PMDG747X I would always get my speed at my PFD go crazy.it could be at let's say 270knt then it would drop to 240 the it would jump to 310, etc. I already started to give up trimming during cruzeas I always lost the trimming when the speed would go crazy.was those corrected or better with AS2012?that is the only 3 things which would make me migrate from REX to AS2012...would appreciate if some of our AS experience drivers here could answers those.
Hi Joel,I have only done three flights so far but here is what I have found.1 - it was raining in Portland this morning and I could not see the sky. Keep in mind though that it was foggy and I haven't been in a situation yet where its just overcast and rauny.2. I have not noticed this yet and the transition from fog to clouds to open sky on departure has been very smooth so far. Can't comment on approach though yet.3. This was a big problem for me when before with ASX. Almost every flight I would have this issue especially during cruise. So far with AS2012, the only wind changes I have noticed are extremely smooth and subtle (usually just changing from station to station which I barely notice). I also want to add that with the latest unregistered FSUIPC, the airpspeed does not shoot up and down (at least not in a crazy way like it used to) when you hit turbulence but rather the planes shakes just like I have noticed in real life.I highly recommend it!

what you saying in that with AS2012 you don't get a full overcast sky?I know with REX you don't, you only get bunch on clouds , but still you don't get a full gray overcast sky.that is what I was hoping AS2012 would change/add.could you shed some light on this with AS2012? is it still bunch of clouds (with gaps in between them) or you can get a full overcast sky?one of the most annoying thing with REX (which made me hate REX b/c of) was the fact that when it was raining and supposedly overcast sky, you would fly between clouds with large gapsin between them and you see the rain fall from the blue sky.is this the same with AS2012?
Sometimes it comes close to it. I'm using the full amount of 20 layers but I got today nice snow showers from more or less single clouds with space in-between. In ASE I got sometime results being quite close to overcast skies and thus I'm still confident that I can use some new options in order to optimise these results.[rant modus on]The disappointing fact for me is that the AS support never accepted this gap in realism. There are endless threads in their forum and only useless answers. I'm just asking whether it is a limitation of MS' FSX preventing to build a single cloud with a diameter of 200NM. It wouldn't even disturb the view if there would be much less details farther away. Well, yes AS2012 is an improvement but at the moment I can't see that big advantage being worth the money I had to invest for an upgrade.[rant modus off] :(

Regards,
Axel

whether it is a limitation of MS' FSX preventing to build a single cloud with a diameter of 200NM?
I always asked my self that same question.what is the big f***ing deal building a huge cloud ? with bits of shapes at the ceiling/bottom (above/below the cloud) of the gigantic cloud.that way you get a great overcast sky on an ordinary day in Manchester, England Angel.gif (bit sarcastic, forgive me).
I also want to add that with the latest unregistered FSUIPC, the airpspeed does not shoot up and down (at least not in a crazy way like it used to) when you hit turbulence but rather the planes shakes just like I have noticed in real life.
but what I was reading for unregistered users of FSUIPC (like myself), you should disable the weather in FSUIPC altogether, so how does this makes a difference?I am puzzled now :(

Joel Strikovsky
Banner_FS2Crew_NGX_Driver.jpg

1) lack of overcast sky - one of the most annoying thing with REX was the fact that when it was raining and supposedly overcast sky, you would fly between clouds with large gapsin between them and you see the rain fall from the blue sky.
I'll second Akila, could you please post some overcast skies ?Thx

What textures do you guys have your cloud resolutions set to? I have mine at 4096 but it does impact on my system. Looks beautiful though. Definitely a massive improvement in making it all feel real. After all the comments about SAS flights, I made one today from EGLC to ESSA an the approach into Arlanda was fantastic. The fog looks awesome now.

Gavin Price

What is it with people complaining about ASE and/or REX for not having decent overcast sky's? This is a MS limitation since at least fs 2002. Flight Sim clears the air around your plane, above and below, so you can see it in spot view. If you want to change that behaviour, there is a setting in FSX.cfg called CLOUD_COVERAGE_DENSITY which the sliders set between one and eight. Set it to 12 if you want a decent overcast, but remember that any other change to the cfg file will reset it to a max of eight.

To the guy that was complaining about the NGX lights being Dim with AS2012. This happens with the default lights. I am doing a flight now from VHHH to RJAA. What I did was import my flight plan into AS and then load a WX theme based on the route. After that I went to the Graphics Section and selected 05 High Intensity XEON and installed that. It used the WX theme again but with the XEON change I made.Landing Lights and Strobes are super bright again.
Does not appear the AS2012 light effect themes affect the NGX Lighting at all. I think the reason my lights reflecting off the ground were dim on the first flight with AS2012 was due to the weather conditions at the time. During the rest of my flights under normal conditions the lights are about the same intensity as they have always been.

Does anyone know if other a/c around you like online MTL a/c on IVAO but also FSX AI a/c are affected by replacing these textures?Haven't had enough time to try this out myself yet.

Richard Åsberg

The NGX, AS 2012 with these great clouds and new atmospheric feel to it and great airport scenery from Aerosoft...what a great combination :biggrin:In this picture Freja Viking parked at gate E23 at LSZH just arrived from Stockholm-Arlanda.

Richard Åsberg

I use FS Commander, EFB, FSBuild, and TOPCAT for flight planning. I haven't dove deep into the AS2012 flight planner yet, but it looks reasonably complex and you can import any .pln. The only downfall I see so far with the AS2012 flight planner is a required climb and descent rate which is, of course, not a linear function in the NGX.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg

stormy day and yet you see blue sky?? am I missing something?
Well, in fact the real weather was pretty like the screenshot (even if the blue sky is behind in the distance), but unfortunately I have to say that even with AS2012 there are still many "holes" in the sky and the rain often falls from the blue sky. Another thing I don't understand is why there are NOT CB clouds in FS, I still have to see a building up CB, even in heavy thunderstorm area. Anyone has seen any and can post a screenshot?Thanks.

James Goggi

Made a perfect flight yesterday from PANC to KSFO with the -800. At certain stages there was this full overcast. Very pretty, very real.AS2012 is set to 10 cloud layers, resolution @ 4096.Stop complaining if you don´t own the product!Menno

Menno 

i7-11700, 16GB, 1 TB SSD, 2 TB HDD, RTX 3070, Windows 11, MSFS 2020 DeLuxe, P3D 4.5