Sign in to follow this  
machie

In Flight realistic ATC Programs with Chatter

I'm on my second flight with PFE and it hasn't been exactly smooth. Using VCP mode 1 where the co pilot only handles frequency changes I can't seem to get the "roger" key working despite assigning a number of various key mappings. That's when I can get that far. In this flight it took me four tries before I could even get a response for the initial departure clearance using the 0 key. Hit zero and nothing happens. No response, and nothing in the display to even tell me what frequency I should be on for the request. For whatever reason on the fourth clean start of PFE and reconnecting it just started working.

We'll see how the second half of the flight goes, but it's been a bumpy road. At this point I'm kind of glad I got my copy for free. Perhaps time will arm me with the tricks to get some consistency out of it.

- Aaron

Thanks to all the people who added to this thread--lot's of good information---BUT!!! I have tried to install this program for three days--onto many, many forums--the program just will not install into Win8---many people have detailed instructions--tricks, tips, etc--they all seem to work for some people and not for others--I am one of the others. Funny--Aircraft installations and scenery installations all work great---but PFE and RC do not install---the issues are missing files, and no matter how I try and how many step by step instruction I follow---it's still a case of no joy. I am going to go next to Microsoft support---we will see

Why was it free?

Won it from an ASN screenshot contest.

I still hope to find the secret sauce to get this thing going, but the last flight was mostly just background ATC chatter. I have no idea why it doesn't respond to roger commands, how to request higher or lower altitudes, how to change the assigned runway on approach, how to find out the ATIS frequency, and probably half a dozen other things. A nice walk through would probably help a lot, but of the documentation I have gone through, damned if I can find one.

Also, many of the documents do not have the same info. The commands.htm file has additional stuff (as I'm just noticing) than does the manual, the version history doc is two versions back from the current, and 40 out of 50 pages in the manual are discussing options and configuration, not actually how to use it. The PF 2000 manual is definitely more verbose, but sadly it really is just the same material but in much greater detail. Of the 164 pages, 10 of them make up the tutorial, which is with the VCP in mode 2.

I really am trying to figure it out, but they don't make it easy. And if I am having technical issues, such as the roger command not working and the initial '0' button for requesting clearance, then it is kind of compounding the learning curve.

- Aaron

I'm currently using VOX ATC which is outstanding. For chatter - I simply put on winamp with http://www.liveatc.n...ap/feedmap.html and just tune in the arrival frequency of where I'm flying into. Simple and gives me exactly what I want.

yes! this is what I do as well and if you tune into your arrival airport ( has to be top 50) you can find out the runway in use.

Its quite odd that using live atc chatter I have never even heard of a minor incident in 3 full months! this includes the lone ranger at Kennedy who sounds like a machine gun

there was one minor incident where the controller got overwhelmed and forgot to give the landing clearance to a 737 . The pilot told her it was "very sloppy" work, on air.

I find Vox atc satisfyingly demanding and exceptionally easy to use.

ZORAN

I find Vox atc satisfyingly demanding and exceptionally easy to use.

+1 - Vox has made me forget about Vatsim because I no longer need to worry about where I'm going and if a live controller will be available or not. LiveATC just makes the experience complete.

I bought PFE Deluxe this weekend and must say it's a bit of a chore to set up in comparison to RC4. It is however an "Alright" experience once set up. I think though that RC has the edge over it for me just for simplicity of use.

I'll probably also get ProAtc in the future as it is looking quite promising with the amount of updates it's receiving from the developer.

Gavin Price

+1 - Vox has made me forget about Vatsim because I no longer need to worry about where I'm going and if a live controller will be available or not. LiveATC just makes the experience complete.

Im sure your reading my mind :rolleyes:

after psyching myself up for vatsim i found it was a big let down and defiantly a step down from voxatc. I only fly vatsim fly in events now as I find normal routes a bore ;-(

ZORAN

To reduce most errors with PFE, first disable your antivirus program (Nortons kept removing files because it wrongly thought they were viruses during the install). Then change the install directly. Do NOT use the defaul install directory, which is like c:\program files... Instead just specify "C:" and it will install to c:\pfe. Then go the PFE website forum (oncourse.. sorry don't remember full address) and download the "Manual install" program. Then run it. That will install and correct any missing/damaged files. Lastly, in your antivirus program specify that the PFC directory is filtered out from searches so that it doesn't mess up your install.

Following all that, everything should work pretty well.

To reduce most errors with PFE, first disable your antivirus program (Nortons kept removing files because it wrongly thought they were viruses during the install). Then change the install directly. Do NOT use the defaul install directory, which is like c:\program files... Instead just specify "C:" and it will install to c:\pfe. Then go the PFE website forum (oncourse.. sorry don't remember full address) and download the "Manual install" program. Then run it. That will install and correct any missing/damaged files. Lastly, in your antivirus program specify that the PFC directory is filtered out from searches so that it doesn't mess up your install.

Following all that, everything should work pretty well.

Hey Zoran, I realise that VoxATC is a voice recognition prog, but is it also possible to use it with button assigned commands?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Bought PFE back in 2008 and wasn't that impressed. Lost the cd and cannot for the life ofMe think where I purchased it. I tried going through my accounts at the different companies with no sign of a record of purchase. I do have proof of purchase of the additional voice pack from Aerosoft but no PFE.

The dev won't help without proof of purchase, so all I have is a voice pack for an app I don't have, otherwise I was willing to give it another try. However, I'm not willing to re purchase just to try.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Howard

yes , I used it as button for quite a while before stepping up to voice (same package)

just remember it has terrible default voice but Ivona voice (payware) is very real.

ZORAN

Oh god PFE, that is a nitemare program. I shelved that long ago, All iremeber if you gotta recompile something to emulate something else and hope the quantum flux doesn't leak out.

Oh god PFE, that is a nitemare program

Hello

Works great for me, what did you do wrong ?