Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Almost there... :-)

Having found out that with Stonelance's Toolkit I can import FSX default scenery into MS FLIGHT, I decided to give it a go :-)

I really can't wait to fly the Maule and the RV over Portugal and Spain ;-)

If that wasn't enough to try it, the chance to edit and adapt the weather parameters to non-ISA settings was even better to know :-)

Now, I have installed FSX-SE, and applied to it DX10 fixer, and a payware scenery for Madeira islands... I believe the conversion will work over FSX-SE, but only with default install ( standard FSX scenery ),

so I am considering installing FSX SE in another PC, and MS FLIGHT there too, as well as the toolkit, and then MS FLIGHT on my sims PC, and somehow copy and paste folders created at the other PC into my sim PC.

I just have to know it this process will work, and if there is some guide to what folders I will have to copy ?

Any hints welcome!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hmm... the conversion will work with FSX-SE but you wan't another copy on another PC? Am I right - and you want to convert from there and copy and paste the converted files to your Sim PC?

Right, that's it, because in my sims PC I already have FSX-SE changed from the standard vanilla install, including a payware scenery for Madeira, and I fear the converter might not work that way ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Do you know if the payware scenery adjusted any of the main scenery files? Or did it just go into the Addon Scenery folder?

Just realised...

It needs a clean install...

"This requires a clean installation of FSX (no addons enabled), but it doesn't verify this is the case before running the conversion right now."

I'll have to check that Kavinda at home, but I'd guess it's added to the "Addon Scenery folder" only...

But!  Now I recalled - I also put ORBX FTX Global :-( and that one certainly changed a lot more - sorry for having skipped that one :-/

I guess a vanilla install of FSX-SE would be my best choice, then installing MS FLIGHT in that other PC, which happens to have the same partition letters as the Sims PC, making the conversion and then porting the result into the Sims PC ? Will it work this way ?

Main Simulation Rig:

No Problem!

There's an easier way! You can create an addon of the FSX conversion and simply copy and paste this into your Sim PC and install it through the Addon Manager. This means that you don't have to spend time copying multiple folders just to get the addon working. Plus you don't have to play around with partition letters.

If this is what you need to do, follow these instructions and you should be fine:

• Install a clean version of FSX-SE, the toolkit and Flight on the other PC.
  • Run the conversion program but this time use the "/a" mode like this: 
    <Path to Flight Toolkit>\ContentConverter.exe /a fsx /i:<path to FSX folder> /o:<Path to temporary folder to convert the assets> 
  • That should give you a .flightAddon file in the temporary folder that you used in step 2.
  • Simply copy that addon file to your Sim PC.
  • Install Microsoft Flight and the latest version of the toolkit on to your Sim PC
  • Install the addon copied in Step 4 by double clicking it.
  • Make sure that you have the most recent WorldRegionUI addon installed and enable the "FSX World" addon!
  • Done!

Hope that helps and tell us if any issues arise!

OK. We are not going to discuss converting any Payware scenery or addons to Microsoft Flight using the Toolkit.

We run the risk of violating a vendors EULA and we're not going there. Remember, Avsim has a huge membership and we don't need any unnecessary problems.

Understand that I'm not referring to FSX or FSX-SE conversions as they is one of the functions of the toolkit. I'm talking about 3rd party payware.

Thank you for respecting this.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Sorry Rick, but José is referring to a "vanilla" install of FSX-SE which doesn't include any 3rd party content.

Even if you do have 3rd party content on your install, the converter won't work. That's what we are trying to get across here...

Thanks!  ^_^

Now, I have installed FSX-SE, and applied to it DX10 fixer, and a payware scenery for Madeira islands... I believe the conversion will work over FSX-SE, but only with default install ( standard FSX scenery ),

so I am considering installing FSX SE in another PC, and MS FLIGHT there too, as well as the toolkit, and then MS FLIGHT on my sims PC, and somehow copy and paste folders created at the other PC into my sim PC.

I just have to know it this process will work, and if there is some guide to what folders I will have to copy ?

Any hints welcome!

There have been several posts about how to use the converter, so I'll try to sum up what I did. I used a clean install of FSX-SE and adapted a conversion batch file as posted by rhumbaflappy on page 2 of this thread.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/458633-converting-fsx-content-to-flight/page-2

You can keep this batch file even if you update the toolkit to a new version, it'll still run and update the installation.

Using a SSD as destination drive the conversion only takes about 15 minutes on my Core i5 machine. Make sure to activate the converted files for use within flight by clicking "FSX World" and "World Region UI" in the Flight Addon Manager of the flightoolkit. As stonelance writes on page 1 of the linked thread above, you need about 7GB free in the conversion folder and 7GB free in the Flight DLC folder. If you rerun the conversion later, for example because of an updated toolkit version may provide a better conversion, you need to reactivate FSX World in the Addon Manager. If you run the conversion on another PC, you could use the option /a of the converter, which creates a zip archive of a .flightAddon file so it can be used on another machine. Though I have no experience with this latter option, so others may want to comment on this.

Thank you so much Kavinda and mibmab !

Main Simulation Rig:

What raises the red flag is that the payware Madeira was mentioned along with the FSX-SE and the use of the converter. It could be interpreted as being inclusive.

We just have to be very careful when we discuss these things because there are always some people that are looking for any reason to complain to Tom or Jim.

It's fine to mention that one has installed a payware package with FSX but let's make it clear that we aren't trying to convert it too. Which, by the way I don't think Jose was trying to do. But the way it is stated is subject to misinterpretation.

My post was just intended to be a reminder that this is a very sensitive area so we must be a bit more cautious than normal.

Thanks.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Thanks Rick, 

but indeed I asked just to make sure we need a straight vanilla FSX install before converting ...

That's actually what I am planning to do ;-)

MS FLIGHT with the "World add-on" will certainly be great to try again, after so long away from the truly remarkable experience this sim provides.

Main Simulation Rig:

Its fine Rick! Common human error! 

But you are right... it is sensitive and thanks for watching out for us!

I'll try to be a little more clearer next time regarding topics like this...

Thanks for understanding, guys. 

I think we have the best group of sim fans to be found anywhere and I must admit I'm a bit over-protective but I don't want anything to potentially cause us any grief.

We are currently on the cutting edge of making Flight a whole new sim and there are a number of very talented people working with Stonelance to accomplish this. I want to thank all of you who are either using the Toolkit to enable you to add FSX objects, or just someone that's still flying.

Keep it going.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

I will definitely second what Rick said! :excl: