•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

AVSIM Market Place
Featured Products!

Featured Products!

Recent Comments

AVSIM Destinations:

Online friends

None of your friends are currently online

RIP: Barry Blaisdell, Prolific FS Designer

More sad news to report: Barry passed away on Wednesday 3rd October after a long battle with diabetes and heart disease.

From an early age Barry’s life was aviation. He joined the Air National Guard as a cadet and as soon as he was able he joined the US Air Force. He flew F-100 Super Sabres and F-105 Thunderchiefs on combat missions in Vietnam. He was invalided out of the USAF after being severely wounded when his F-105 was destroyed by a SAM missile. After recuperation he applied to join the US Army as a helicopter pilot and returned to Vietnam.

When his flying career was ended by a heart attack he took up virtual aviation as a hobby and started to design aircraft for FS5. Barry founded Premier Aircraft Design in 1995 and led the team until 2008

Barry leaves a widow, Carol, and a son Todd. Our deepest condolences go out to them at this sad time.

26 Comments

Another long time member of the community leaves us...so sad. RIP Barry.
Photo
airlinejets
Oct 09 2012 09:23 PM
Truly saddened to hear of Barry's passing. Always a shock when one of our finest leaves us.
Barry was well-known here for his good work. He'll be missed.
Photo
markmasterson
Oct 09 2012 10:07 PM
A warrior, patriot and a hero...God bless his family and I am grateful for all the years of enjoyment that he brought me.
I've used and loved so many of Barry's works. He was a true craftsman and unselfish. Giving so much of his time and work to the flight sim community.

He will be missed very much.

God bless and comfort his family and friends.
Sad at the passing of Barry, he together with his colleagues put together some remarkable aircraft. Many thanks for all you did Barry. The F.S. community will genuinely miss you.

My condolences and sympathy goes to his family.
The sadness just keeps coming. Berry was one of the giants in the flightsim world and he will be missed.

My God grant his family peace and understanding in dealing with their loss.
My condolences to his friends and family, a true American hero
A salute to a hero.I extend my condolences to his family.
I am deeply, deeply saddened to hear of Barry's passing. A GIANT in the FS World he will always be remembered with great affection. May he Rest in Eternal Peace.
What was truly amazing about Barry is that having been shot down by a SAM and severely wounded, he nonetheless went back into service and...

...returned to 'Nam! That is the mark of a true patriot and honorable person. :p0504:
Photo
Bill Alderson
Oct 10 2012 04:20 PM
I've had the pleasure of knowing and working with Barry over the years. We go way back to the old "Flightsim Forum" days on Compuserve.

Hell of a MAN!
So very, very sad to hear this news. What a tremendous contributor to all of our simming lives! May his Family find peace.

Stan
Condolences to his family. May God grant him eternal rest.
An American Hero
Photo
Sidney Schwartz
Oct 11 2012 02:29 AM
Such sad news. Everyone who was a fan of MS Flight Simulator knew of Barry Blaisdell. I couldn't even guess at how many thousands of us have and will continue to enjoy his wonderful creations, so generously shared. He was one of the true pillars of the Flightsim community and will not be forgotten. Please, whoever has the ability to do so, forward these comments to his family. They should know how many lives he touched and how much he was admired and appreciated.
What an interesting aviation life story. He leaves a legacy both with his service to the country, as well as the flight simulation community.
RIP Barry! Condolences to his family. Thanks for his service.
RIP Barry - you made Flight Simulator much more enjoyable for so many people and all freely given. Condolences to family and friends.
I flew Barry's Twin Otters all the time during the FS98 and FS2000 span and loved them.

Sad news indeed

RIP Barry
He's one of those pillars in the community whose work teaches you so much about aircraft. He poured his love of aviation into his work and it showed. I also want to thank Barry and all past and current military servicemen who have fought tyranny worldwide in the 20th/21st century. I cannot imagine this planet if certain past and present mentalities ever had their way. THANK you, you keep ALL democracy loving peoples free! RIP sir, and deepest condolences to his loved ones.
Very sorry to hear. He was a huge supporter/developer of FS for the freeware market. We need more people like Barry. RIP Barry, you're legacy lives on. Condolences to his family.
10s of thousand files simmers downloaded Barry's freeware work from the library over the years for their pleasure and only 21 people appreciate and sent their heartfull condelences? This is rather pathetic. Barry was indeed a prolific FS designer and a true war hero, I think he derserves more appreciation than that.

RIP, big guy!
Photo
cortomalteseit
Oct 13 2012 12:09 PM
Blue skies, Barry!
So sad. A prolific contributor to our hobby. He will be missed so much.

My thoughts are with his family.
Photo
wroughtiron
Mar 18 2013 08:50 AM

Condolances to his wife and son.

Barry's PAD site was the first I visited when I started fltsim.

Barry was I believe, a 'Thud driver' in Nam (Cant remember the aircraft) his call sign was 'Snake'

We'll miss you Barry,

IF YOU DO NOT SEE ANY CONTENT ON THIS PAGE, IT IS BECAUSE
EITHER YOU HAVE NOT SIGNED IN, OR YOU HAVE NOT REGISTERED.
You need to register to gain access to any of AVSIM's forum content.
It is free and fast. Click on the "CREATE ACCOUNT" above today.

If you are looking for the File Library Only, click here.

Read Our News Archives - April, 1999 to March, 2012 - 13 Years Worth!

All material included within AVSIM is Copyrighted and may not be reproduced or copied in any form without express written permission from AVSIM Management. Linking to articles and images are allowed under some circumstances, but links must be approved by management before links are established. Images and material holding separate copyright notices are provided exclusively to AVSIM and that copyright remains with the original authors. Images and artwork provided herein shall not be copied, reproduced or used in any other fashion without the express written permission of their respective authors.

Copyright 1997 - 2013 - AVSIM Online
All Rights Reserved

There have been 461 of your fellow community members and guests in the forums and elsewhere on AVSIM within the last 15 minutes!

SUBMIT YOUR NEWS TO AVSIM

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif What's new in the Library
rarrow.gif The Market Place!

rarrow.gif What's New In the Market

rarrow.gif What's Popular In the Market

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif AVSIM Social Groups - NEW!

rarrow.gif Member Reviews
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System - NEW!

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Live Video Streaming
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

Search Articles

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!