•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

Recent Comments

AVSIM Destinations:

Online friends

None of your friends are currently online

"Microsoft Sells License to FS Franchise"

AVSIM is being told by multiple sources that Microsoft, after years of dickering and sometimes murky intentions, has sold the license to the FS franchise. We are not able to name our sources, but we can say they are authoritative and have been involved at various times in pursuing acquisition of this license. We can also tell you that the licensee is not one that we would have thought to have been a logical candidate in terms of direct knowledge of the product, leading us to conclude that this licensee had the deeper pockets. We will be providing more news on this story as it develops. We look forward to an official announcement at the E3 coming this week.

EDIT: June 16, 2014; Our sources appear to have been incorrect about the announcement at E3. We will update the news when we hear more.

200 Comments

This is big news for sure! I know for sure it wasn't me! LOL

Jim

...has sold the license to the FS franchise...

I don't know what this means.

Wow, About time!

Photo
Tom Allensworth
Jun 08 2014 02:22 PM

They have sold the FS product line to another company.

Photo
JASPRUDENTE
Jun 08 2014 02:23 PM

By "license" do you mean similar to what Lockheed Martin has? Or does that mean the full rights and property for the home entertainment simulator?

OK, crossing fingers and toes...

Photo
Tom Allensworth
Jun 08 2014 02:27 PM

By "license" do you mean similar to what Lockheed Martin has? Or does that mean the full rights and property for the home entertainment simulator?

The full rights to the entertainment simulator...

Photo
Ray Proudfoot
Jun 08 2014 02:32 PM

Flight Simulator XI now looks a distinct possibility. Excellent news!

Can you say if the licensee is aware of our community?

I believe it was a guy by the name of Austin Myer, or Myers, something like that. 

Bob

Color me a skeptic, but I'll only truly believe this when there is a public announcement from this mystery investor... :Whistle:

Flight Simulator XI now looks a distinct possibility. Excellent news!

The folks that have bought it have got some catching up to do, LM has already taken the code way beyond FSX.

They will probably make a game out of it, put some tokens and rings to fly through.

Going out to stock up on popcorn and beer for the upcoming week. This should be fun!

Photo
Somebody_Else
Jun 08 2014 02:47 PM

First order of business: patch FSX to solve the VAS issue!

Photo
Tom Allensworth
Jun 08 2014 02:47 PM

Color me a skeptic, but I'll only truly believe this when there is a public announcement from this mystery investor... :Whistle:

Okay, you are colored skeptic. But... :)

Can you say if the licensee is aware of our community?

Who bought certainly aware of the community, I believe that we are a few million people around the world.
I see great possibility of improvement, but also have fears, we do not know the intentions of the buyer, anyone know FS Franchise, you know what they do?

João Alfredo

Surely Lockheed Martin are the obvious candidate. If it's not them then this really is big news indeed. That makes for an interesting competition. I was thinking maybe Orbx, I hope it's not tbh.

Photo
Gregg_Seipp
Jun 08 2014 02:57 PM

It's Yahoo, right?  Amiright?  "Yahoo Flight Simulator"...LOL.

Photo
Andydigital
Jun 08 2014 02:57 PM

Please don't let it be EA or Ubisoft.

LOL, I bet it was Capt. RSR and friends.

j/k....

Looking forward to more news, for sure...

Photo
1st fltsimguy
Jun 08 2014 03:00 PM

Garmin....they want to make/integrate the sim with the great GNS.  lol.

Please don't let it be EA or Ubisoft.

Can't agree with you enough...

Google - they already have the scenery

Can't agree with you enough...

Capt Sim ?

Google - they already have the scenery

Now that would be interesting

Tile Proxy with acceleration

All material included within AVSIM is Copyrighted and may not be reproduced or copied in any form without express written permission from AVSIM Management. Linking to articles and images are allowed under some circumstances, but links must be approved by management before links are established. Images and material holding separate copyright notices are provided exclusively to AVSIM and that copyright remains with the original authors. Images and artwork provided herein shall not be copied, reproduced or used in any other fashion without the express written permission of their respective authors.

Copyright 1997 - 2014 - AVSIM Online
All Rights Reserved

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9, FSX & P3D CTD Guide - UPDATED V2!

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

Search Articles

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!