Sign in to follow this  
pkofman

747 nav radios

Is there some way to use the nav radios in the pmdg similar to most other aircraft. I know that I can set the nav freq manual , but there seems not to be a tradition course selector for the OBS . Is it possible to manipulte the crs so that one can determine and set the radial. Will it then show on the PFD.Peter

Guest s_L_Y_F_a

you can enter your desired radial in line select key 2l and 2r where it says "CRS" in the NAV RADIO page.Note that the radial set in lsk 2l will be displayed on the captain´s ND and the radial set in line 2r will be displayed on the FO´s ND.Furthermore you can see the radial you are currently flying on in the middel of line 2 for your first and second NAV frequency respectivly.

>you can enter your desired radial in line select key 2l and>2r where it says "CRS" in the NAV RADIO page.>>Note that the radial set in lsk 2l will be displayed on the>captain

Guest D17S

Someone asked me the same question the other day and I thought, Humm, I don't think there's a way.It seems these modern airplanes don't use VORs the way the old ones did. The only direct use of the actual VOR radio signal is to update the IRU's present position (PP). Notice the VORs are autotuned? The FMC picks the best 2 VORs and tunes em' up. Typically the FMC only uses one for updating PP. Think, "If I am this direction -VOR- and this far -DME- from the VOR station, I must be HERE -updated PP-." This is the VOR / DME mode. Two VORs -VOR / VOR- are used if the FMC can't get a good DME from one of the VORs. However even that is only used if the GPS update function fails.I agree this makes traditional VOR navigation a bit clumsy. Other than ILS, its all 'fix based' (lat /long) navigation these days. Even when you manually enter a VOR as a legs page fix, the FMC is still navigating by knowing your PP, the VOR's and drawing pictures on the ND for radials.With the FMC's FIX function, pick a VOR. Then chose a radial and a DME along that radial. This provides the FMC a Fix. Add that new fix to the legs page. Now add the VOR as a fix. You have now intercepted the VOR's radial and are flying toward it along that radial. Woah. What a PITA!I'd too, would like to simply intercept a radial. I don't care what DME it turns out to be. I want to capture it just like I do with localizer. Oh well.

If you set a manual VOR frequency on the CDU NAV RADIO page, you can manually enter a CRS on the line below the frequency.To find out which radial you are currently on, there are many ways. You can randomly select different CRS's on the NAV RAD page until your deviation bar centres (VOR mode on ND)... or1)The NAV RAD page also gives a readout of the (outbound) radial you are currently on.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/154246.jpg2) Looking at the VOR page of the ND, if you select VOR Left (Captain's ND), the green pointers will tell you which radial you are on.3) if the aircraft has optional RDMI's (outboard of the PFD's), use the VC to check which radial you are on (although this is a little hard to read in the sim).Hope this helps.Cheers.Q>