Sign in to follow this  
Guest dogdog1985

Landing vertical speed (fpm), what are your usual fpm,747

Guest dogdog1985

I usually get it at about 250~300fpm (feet/min), surely crash the aircraft if it is in real situation

>I usually get it at about 250~300fpm (feet/min), surely crash>the aircraft if it is in real situationHeavens! What are you flying ?. Maybe a Cessna 172 ?With my PMDG-737-700 I get between 700-800 feet per minute which I think is a very fine and real vertical speed for a well stablished approach.Jose Luis.

Guest Peter Bowcut

If you are referring to the actual vertical speed at touchdown, 250-300 fpm would be considered a 'firm', but still safe landing. A 747's gear system has much more capacity than a small Cessna of course and is exponentially more efficient at weight distribution and shock absorbtion.My understanding is that a touchdown speed of -500 fpm or higher is considerated a controlled crash more or less, and that anything less than -200 fpm is considered a 'greaser' for large aircraft in the 747 class. Most 747 pilots that talk about landing technique mention that they do not even look at vertical velocity during the final flare sequence before touchdown, relying more on technique and 'seat of the pants' references. Some 747 pilots have even said that you can hold a 747-400 off of the runway just before touchdown like a Cessna to accomplish an ultra-smooth landing.

Guest planeman223

500-700 on the glideslope, 100-200 for touchdown. Hope this helps.Alex