Sign in to follow this  
Guest jgcomp

Cannot remove "Route Discontinuity"

Guest jgcomp

Have been flying several routes with the PMDG 747-400X with great success. I have modified flightplans several times successfully but I currently end up with a Route Discontinuity that I cannot remove and I would like PMDG experts to tell me where I am wrong or is it a funny behavior of the FMC. There are some related threads on this forum but do not actually provide an answer.Flight plan is originally as follows:TJSJ-JETSS-SLUGO-PJM-TNCMFlightplan is simple and short. TNCM does not have an ILS and the procedure calls for: Fly over St.Marteen VOR (PJM - 113.0) at 3500 feet.Intercept and track radial 318 until 7 DME from VOR .Fly DME ARC from radial 318 to 276 at 9 DME. (this DME ARC has to be created, evidently)Exit at radial 276 and 7 DMEGet visual contact, align, etc. etc.So, inserting PJM318/07 in the FMC right after PJM is easy and this new custom waypoint will be accepted as PJM01 correctly and a Route Discontinuity (RD) is created as expected.Creating the DME ARC is also easily done and results in PJM02, PJM03, etc, waypoints, in sequence.The problem is that the RD cannot be removed by down-selecting PJM01 and uploading it in lieu of the RD as it is done normally in this case.Experts advice will definitely be welcome to put me back on track.Jean-Guy

I should be trying this at home in the simulator, your logic sounds good. What about approach selection, have you selected a runway for landing at TNCM? Maybe the discontinuity is between the route and the airport.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jgcomp

Nope. The discontinuity is between PJM and PJM01. And after PJM01 are listed PJM02, PJM03 and PJM04 which constitute the actual DME ARC. Landing RWY is already selected as RWY09 but it should have no effect on being able to remove the discontinuity.I find also that the FMC on selecting the RWY adds to the listing Waypoints such as CF09, FF09 and MA09 before RW09. I can surmise what those could mean but I can't find anywhere a confirmation of the meaning of those waypoints. Can anybody shed light?Jean-Guy

Try this:On the LEGS page, with the scratch pad clear, select the CLR or DEL (cant recall the button title from memory) and then select the line key corresponding to the route discontinuity. You will need to confirm by pressing Activate. This will remove the RD line and link the route again.GregH

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

<Selecting the VORD09 approach inserts those fixes before RW09. If you selected RUNWAY 09 (not the approach) these will not appear and the route will go straight from SLUGO to PJM (onfield) to the runway. To use your method, do not select the approach, just the runway.A better method is to select VORD09 with the PJM transition. This will provide the route without having to create custom fixes.I hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jgcomp

Thank you, gents, for answers but, I am sorry, they do not provide solutions. First using the Delete key or the Clear key (if you tried it) does not do it. At least not on my FMC.Second, I know that CF09, FF09 and MA09 are inserted on selecting RWY. I saw it with my own eyes. The question is rather: what are the meanings of those waypoints, i.e. does MA stand for Missed Approach. What about FF..."Final Fix?" However, as far as I know, the actual official procedure calls for a DME ARC (9 DME from PJM) after first overflying PJM and on a 318 or so radial from PJM. Look on the chart. While the LevelD AIRAC database does it nicely for their 767, the PMDG database leaves it open to the pilot. In addition, going directly from PJM to the runway is impossible with a 747. PJM is too close to the middle left of the RWY Jean-Guy

Patience, you will only get the fixes CF09 FF09 etc., if you select the VORD09 approach.Please select the RUNWAY 09... you do this by going below VORD09 where it says RUNWAYS and selecting 09. If you do this correctly you will not get any fixes... just the runway. This is your problem. You are selecting an approach and it causes a disconnect with the custom fixes.Alternatively, select the VORD09 approach instead of your custom fixes and use the PJM transition. No need for custom fixes and it works, I flew it in trying to answer you.By the way, I'm using Cycle 0802 from Navigraph. I assume you are as well.

Dan Downs KCRP

Guest jgcomp

Hi Dan, I don't mind getting the CF09, FF09 and MA09. I don't see them as a problem. I just want to know what they mean.Regarding the VORD09, yes I use Cycle 0802 as well. But it does not include the actual official procedure as shown on the TNCM approach plate which is a DME ARC. I know, I can "cheat" and fly direct but I am trying to make it as close as real as it can get.Jean-Guy

Guest jgcomp

Further to my previous message, I just found that creating a "Hold" at PJM solves the issue, i.e. it now allows the closing of the route as is normally done on Boeing FMCs ( down-select PJM01 and upload on the LSK where the Route Discontinuity is). I surmise that is the correct procedure for the PMDG 747-400X in this case.Now, I would love it if the PMDG experts could explain the rationale behind such a behavior by the FMC. I am sure there is a reason. I would just love a quick explanation why.Jean-Guy

PMDG only presents the route as coded in the sidstar file, which they do not create. Both Terry Yingling and I create custom procedures that include DME arcs whereas the Navigraph ones generally do not. I go one step further and add procedure turns or holding pattern entries when published as part of the procedure. I provide a file to TJSJ but no other PR locations.Did you try selecting the runway instead of the approach? The fixes you're not worried about are the reason for the disconnect. They are a part of the VORD approach from the final approach fix to the missed approach point.

Dan Downs KCRP