Sign in to follow this  
brucek

POST error in new ABit BD-7 Motherboard.

I'm trying to contact someone at ABit, or from the retail that I purchased from, however I thought I might try here first:During POST, I get an "A7" error. This is before any video BIOS, in fact my monitor never detects the prsence of video at all. Right now, it's a bare-bones system, consisting of only the mobo, CPU, memory and video card.ABit BD-7P4- 478 pin 1.80A 400 FSB512 DDR RAMLeadtek geForce 3 Ti200.I have the IDE and floppy cables disconnected, although they were connected and the error is still there.Thanks for any hints. This has to be a low level issue, obviously. Maybe one of the above components are bad. I've checked the seating of everything OK.Thanks,Bruce.

Do you have the definition of the "A7" error? Who is the BIOS vendor, i.e., Phoenix, Award, etc?

Hi, thanks for your interest in this little problem :)The BIOS vendor is "Award". I've fired an e-mail off the ABit, and to M-WAVE, my on-line retailer, who also offer some limited tech support via e-mail. Should I also be e-mailing Award too?The error codes shown in the ABit manual do not include any with an "A", the first group start with a "C", then progress through the numerical codes, through boot attempt.Thanks for any ideas, I'll take anything right now :) With not even getting to the video BIOS screen, I have no idea of what may be not working.Thanks,Bruce.

No Award, really Phoenix, would be of no help. I am confused, where exactly are you getting the "A7" if you don't have any video? I went to the Award site, they don't show any "A7" error codes.Can you remove the video card from the unit and replace it with a PCI version in one of the other slots or even another AGP card temporarily. If you have an older computer, borrow the video card from it.Have you tried www.abit.com.tw and see if they have any FAQs? You also need to find out if your video card is compatible with the AGP 1.5V standard. I know the VisionTek meets that standard, I couldn't find an answer on www.leadtek.com website.

Hi,Thanks again for your interest and info.:)Thanks for your helpful ideas so far,Bruce.

I've found this on the LeadTek site:"***** Update ***** ( 1/18/02) The new Intel 845, 850 chipset requires graphics card support AGP 2.0, 1.5V spec. This voltage requirement is included in the standard AGP 2.0 spec. and all current Leadtek WinFast GeForce based graphics cards are 100% compatible with the AGP 2.0 spec. All current Leadtek WinFast GeForce and Titanium based graphics cards are able to support this special Intel chipset requirements. "That would indicate that the video card is the correct spec.Thanks,Bruce.

Bruce...Call your Mobo mfg. I don't normally "cut and paste" from my searchs (I prefer to provide links), but I could not link to this.RE : unknown error on post led (Abit BD7 mother board) --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I just bought a BD7 and tried to put an Intel P4 1.8a (Northwood) with the 512 KB-L2. I received the same error code A7. That code is not in the book, as you know. I called the company I bought it from and they said that the motherboard bios has to be flashed (updated) to accommodate the Northwood. I told them that I can't even post to allow me to flash the bios. They said I would have to put a regular processor on it to let it post and then update. Since I don't have another 478 pin processor, they said I could send it in and they would flash it for me. I hope this works. Let us know,bt

Thanks Braun,I'll go back to the supplier, I really appreciate your help and this helpful advice. I did search the FAQ's at ABit, but couldn't find anything.Thanks again, much appreciated.Bruce.

Nice find Braun!!! I hope Bruce is able to get this solved. The hazards of building yourself, but the results are infinitely better machines when you get them resolved.

Yes- and thanks also to you for yor interest. I've packed up the motherboard and am swapping it out for a BD7-II, a later version of the BD-7 that I understand may have the correct BIOS version for the newer CPU's. The chipset is the 845-E. I've also enquired to the tech support at mwave.com about how to get the board re-flashed if this problem comes back with the BD7-II. To their credit, the tech support there have been interested and have suggested a number of dead ends, but have at least made suggestions. Diagnosing from a distance is difficult. I did post on the ABit forum when this first occurred, but have yet to see my message appear, let alone a response.Thanks guys,Bruce.