•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .

Too many Problems with the Dauphin

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SAS263

SAS263

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 4 Months and 23 Days Ago.

Posted 22 November 2002 - 02:07 AM

Hi there Vrystaat.Let me try to help you out here.Do a search for Dauphin sounds and download them. If memory serves me there were some posts soon after the helo was released where people listed some of their favourites. When you look and listen through those sounds you

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

• Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 6 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 21 November 2002 - 03:49 PM

After reading all the forums I could find, the Dauphin is now behaving itself.However, I have never been able to get the sounds to work. The manualstates:" Find some decent Dauphin sounds and copy the internal and external sound files to the 'sound' folder as he4.wav and xhe4.wavDo not modify or replace sound.cfg. Read the rest of this document."What do all these contradictory statements mean?I have tried every sound set for helos that I could lay my hands on.No luck. Anyone have the answer?Thanks.Vrystaat!

#3 Inactive Member_Lindy_***

Inactive Member_Lindy_***
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2002 - 09:13 AM

Both types of virtual pilots are valid, IMO. I too tend to be a "jump in and go" kinda flyer. But sometimes I also enjoy a challenge, and the Dauphin certainly provided one for me. I don't even use its auto pilot functions. I was just happy to get it flying and be able to land it in one piece! But I was NOT going to let it get the better of me.I've got to the point now where I CAN pretty much just "jump in and fly" so I'm happy with it. But yes, it did take some effort. And I never thought of it as "unfinished." -Lindy :-wave

• Guests

Posted 23 September 2002 - 05:13 PM

The Dauphin was very interesting and innovative and a good deal of work (and support) was forthcoming from the author, notwithstanding his excellent design work.... but....In reality, leave it for a Month (went on vacation), come back and it suddenly became a real frustration to fly it! (allover).....I prefer to (virtually speaking) climb in, run up the the engines and increase collective and away I go (in this virtual world)... I have enough frustrations trying to keep ahead of the graphics-drivers!I guess I'm just a simple 'huey-crop-duster' at heart :)If the Dauphin is your 'Nirvana' then fantastic!(Now dont get me wrong I'm not knocking it in any way - I also prefer cars that dont have complex computers in them!)

#5 Inactive Member_emergency_pants_***

Inactive Member_emergency_pants_***
  • Guests

Posted 02 October 2002 - 07:11 AM

Sorry Michael... it wasn't the point being made that I was talking about, rather the way it was put. I thoroughly see the point you both raise. But as mentioned before, each to their own. We all have our own preferences and time constraints on which we base our opinions on... and in my case it is predominantly a matter of available free time, hence I find it difficult to find time to tweak things and make changes (see the topic entitled "Dauphin - What Works and What Doesn't"), when all I want to do is practice. I have stacks of fantastic stuff here on my hard drive. I know it's great stuff and it really should be unzipped and installed! I find myself not bothering and flying one of my nice payware planes instead. It's a way more satisfying way to spend the odd 1/2 hour than looking at dauphin cfg files, I feel. I probably would be better off investing some time in getting this heli working and learning its ins-and-outs, but that's my decision, isn't it? And despite what other might think, it certainly doesn't make me WRONG.Perhaps I shouldn't have been so critical in the first instance? I don't think I was. But to be honest, why shouldn't I voice an opinion on what I think about something without being talked down to and/or offended!!!!!!"All I read here is negative comments from people who have probably never rode in the back of a "real" Dauphin and seen the "real" operation of this ship.""...idiots who are very unlikely to have ever created anything to share with the chopper community and very unlikely to ever do so.""Grow up or go home."Do you think I'm being over critical by calling these comments offensive and/or condescending? I find these to be qualitative statements, despite the writer not knowing a damn thing about me/us/whoever they're aimed at. They're statements based on opinions read on a forum... which really doesn't make anyone an idiot, under-aged, unqualified or non-contributary. Some people should be careful before shooting their mouth off to people they know NOTHING ABOUT!!!!I'm not stupid, Michael, and I know when I'm being talked AT by someone, rather that talking with someone, you know?Anyway... I would agree that it's a matter of preference. I see yours and good on ya. You guys have the time, patience, perseverance and skill to fly the heli. I don't. Is that ok with you guys or do I need a note from my mum??????? LOL... sorry, I couldn't resist a touch of sarcasm there!Simon.

#6 1mikel151

1mikel151

Scenery guy

• Members
  • 5,104 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 3 Months and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 24 September 2002 - 12:51 AM

>Edit: forget it, it'll fall on deaf ears anyway. >>george, that last post was condescending and offensive. >>Simon. I don't think so at all. It is the people that are getting frustrated because they can't just "hop in and take off" like they are used to that are being offensive. I had some problems at first, but it works awesome for me now!. I have noticed that there are 2 types of people that use FS2002, the first type get the slightest bit upset if the airfile is wrong, you call it a game, if it isn't a "real-world" livery , or if the model doesn't live up to their "expectations". The second type enjoy it for what it is worth. I have seen numerous posts from designers about wanting to quite designing because of demands put on them by the ungrateful FS public that tend to criticize what they get for free out of the goodness of someone elses labor. This helo, finished or not, was labor intensive and given to you for your enjoyment. These posts were put here to help with people that are having problems with the Dauphin and hopefully many of them solved them due to the help they got from posting, If you feel like bashing someones work, try loading FS98 and fly around in it for awhile, not the same, but more some peoples speed obviously. My two cents in general!Michael

#7 Inactive Member_emergency_pants_***

• Guests

Posted 11 September 2002 - 08:11 AM

Edit: forget it, it'll fall on deaf ears anyway.george, that last post was condescending and offensive.Simon.

• Guests

Posted 10 September 2002 - 06:18 AM

The Dauphin represents a great leap forword in helicopter flight in FS. It has most of the features MS left out and lets face it MS only left it in as a token jesture.What Annti has developed is a great achievement. All I read here is negative comments from people who have probably never rode in the back of a "real" Dauphin and seen the "real" operation of this ship. Yes there a few problems, but after reading the documentation (remember English is not his first language) and applying a little noggin, IFR flight under full rules is possible as is full ILS approach and landing, try a 400 mile flight in the default Bell.Perhaps if some of you were constructive, Annti's motivation to enhance a great "FREE" ship would be through the roof, as it is if he's thinking "forget it" it's our loss due to a few idiots who are very unlikely to have ever created anything to share with the chopper community and very unlikely to ever do so.Grow up or go home.George

#9 Inactive Member_emergency_pants_***

• Guests

Posted 06 October 2002 - 08:33 PM

Yeah... your right, I should have just kept my trap shut. I'm lazy (like you have any idea the bloody hours I work!!!) and I have a bad mouth. I'm a hypocrite and offensive at it. My opinions are wrong and I have no valid input. Oh well. I might as well bugger off then.Anyway... I'm sorry if I offended anyone. Especially the author of the Dauphin.See ya, I won't come back.Simon.

• Guests

Posted 04 October 2002 - 06:13 AM

We do not have a "holier than thou" attitude... We're simply sick of hearing people who are not putting in their fair share of effort to configure the Dauphin bash Annti and works. And Simon, what sort of "touchy-feely" coddling crap would you like to hear from us after you've said... "I have neither the time or the inclination to tinker with this helicopter for an eternity, trying to get it to work. If it doesn't work properly, I don't touch it. Despite being a great model and probably a great airfile too, I removed it from my drive... it's not finished." You removed it from your drive, and your sick of the Dauphin posts... Why are you in this thread??????Yup, good riddance, be gone, because the less that lazy folks like you whine, the more likely people like Annti will put forth more great work.Sorry if I have truely offended anyone... I am just completly sick of folks bashing and nit-picking freeware designers for their efforts. It's going on all over the place and it needs to stop. It's free, if you dont like it then delete it, but at the very least respect the author's efforts by keeping your mouth shut with nasty comments.

#11 Inactive Member_emergency_pants_***

• Guests

Posted 04 October 2002 - 04:00 AM

I'm fed up with the "holier than thou" attitude on this heli forum. The conceit is unbelievable. And the blinkers are unbearable. I'm off... there is a very unwelcoming and stifling feel to this helihole. I'm sure you'll say "good riddance", which is fine with me.Tata,Si.

• Guests

Posted 03 October 2002 - 09:33 PM

"American way of thinking"? WTF? Regardless of your heritage, one thing remains constant with this Helo... Free of charge = a bit of effort on your part. Annti did the hard part of developing this helo.. for free - now it is your turn to earn the privilage of flying it by spending a small amount of time to make it work with the hardware of YOUR computer.If you are not capable of reading the docs, understanding, asking for help, and configuring this helo, you have not earned the right to fly it, and you CERTAINLY dont have any right to complain about it. After the hundreds of hours Annti spent building this helo you can spend a few of your own to figure it out... if you cant, then go away and shut your pie hole.The Dauphin is not unfinished, Annti went as far as he could. In order for him to "finish" this project he would have had to buy all of the possible hardware, (different joysticks, peddels, etc) himself and create config files for each and every possibility... a very unrealistic prospect indeed.So, learn it, understand it, configure it, and fly it - just like the rest of us who love it did.

#13 Inactive Member_Airprox_***

Inactive Member_Airprox_***
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2002 - 08:20 AM

British not American.I'm not interested in throwing insults around, or anything like that, and I apologise for the tone of my previous post, however, I beleive, at this stage, there is nothing else that can be done with this helicopter... therefore it was NOT released too early.I'll try and explain what I understand about the working of this aircraft.The joystick problems are not connected to the airfile, it is connected to the .gau file. The reason for this is to allow the helicopter to have a working Autopilot. As said many times before, MS didn't realy consider helicopters in FS, Antti has utilised the programming behind the .gau file to allow the autopilot to function, the aircraft controls are routed through the .gau file, hence the reason that different types of joystick need different info in the .cfg (similar to the way Windows/other programs need different drivers for joysticks/pedals etc. to work). This is a completely new approach to the way helicopters work in FS, and as such, yes I agree, it's not perfect (what in this world is?) but to say it was released too early (Shouldn't have been released at all??) is wrong. In my humble opinion!If you use FS to relax, then you are probably better off staying away from this heli. If your looking to take one step closer to realism, and for a new challenge in helicopter flying... stick with it.As for the forum being filled with posts about the Dauphin, well, lets face it, there wasn't really much going on in the forum before that was there?Once again I apologise for the tone of my previous post, I kinda went off on one.Alun

• Guests

Posted 10 September 2002 - 05:04 AM

Shall I sum it up to this point? okay, here i go:You dare to doubt this helicopter? shame on you. This is the "Hail to the King"-Section, criticism is not allowed.This is FS2002. You cope the aircraft file, you run the program: it flies. The damn thing flies. And your enthusiasm will not change my opinion: this helicopter came out too early. I don't want to spent/waste my time in reading docs and setting up cfg-files. The properly working cfg file has to be included, otherwise the helicopter is NOT WORKING PROPERLY!! Face it. I got enough things to read and to learn, that's what i'm a student for. I don't run FS2002 to become a helicopter pilot, i do it to relax. And yes, somebody wrote it down exactly the way it is: I expect to fly every single f****** one of those helicopters from a scratch, because every helicopter is just the same. There are differences, okay, but basically it's the same.Still nobody gave an explanation, why this forum is stuck with that helicopters for month now. Don't you read your own things??? Problems with the Dauphin, Joystick (!!!) not working ( now that's gotta be an airfile....), Problem with autopilot, prolem here, why doesn't it....You - in general - complain about every single detail of that helicopter. Everybody gives a bit. But you attack me harshly if i ask in total. That's a rather bigot point of view. Sounds like american way of thinking to me.disappointedBallistero

#15 Inactive Member_Airprox_***

Inactive Member_Airprox_***
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2002 - 04:26 AM

The reason it doesn't work? You didn't set it up properly.If you don't think it's finished... E-mail Antti and see what he tells you to do.I, like others, have spent the time reading the Docs, setting up the .cfg, and actually LEARNING how to fly the helicopter (including Autopilot operations), and like those others, thoroughly enjoy the experience.If you don't like it...fine, don't come here and complain about something that is FREEWARE. This sort of post must be soul destroying for people like Annti, and I have known of other people drop projects because of un-constructive critisism like this.Rant over.Alun :-newburn

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!