Sign in to follow this  
rambow

BT and R4D FSX Issues

I thought it high time we re-iterate what has been said in a number of threads to help alleviate some of the confusion and angst.Both the B-25 'Briefing Time' and the R4D/DC-3/C-47 packages are designed and sold for FS2004. Some months ago we put out FSX Basic Compatibility Updates for both packages that allowed the FS9 planes to be installed and flown in FSX. With very few problems, this worked fine. But this was prior to the release of the FSX SP1 and the Acceleration upgrades. These have introduced another set of problems that we are not currently equipped or able to address because of time constraints. MAAM-SIM is working full time in final development and beta testing of the TBM Avenger package which is long overdue and desperately needed by the museum to bring in revenue for its restoration programs. So, we have to keep our noses to that particular grindstone and not spin off to apply more and more patches every time MS changes something in FSX.Once the TBM is released, which we hope and trust will be before the Winter is out, our plan is to redesign both the Douglas and the B-25 (probably in that order) specifically for FSX, including, SP1, and Acceleration, and even Vista, which none of us even have, yet! These will be thoroughly beta tested, as is our custom, and we will be happy to give full support for them.Please be patient with us. Keep in mind we are a small group of volunteer developers for a non-profit aviation museum, doing the best we can with very limited resources out of our own pockets. Thanks you all for being MAAM-SIM customers, helping us keep the dream alive for the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum. Let's all hope that MS does not put us out of business with FS11!Happy New Year to everyone.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/hgrsm_blkani.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest ROLYBO62

Bill,I know I am slow, but does this mean that the BT and R4DFSX will not run in FSX? As far as I know I am not running a service pack or accelerator. When I try to install after downloading from Free Stuff I get this approximate message: cannot install program - I have the MAAM CD in the D: driveI see no way to install the MAAM CDI have selected both Flight Simulator X and Microsoft Flight Simulator X as the directory, neither install.Sorry, if I am missing something obvious.Roger

Hi Roger. No, both planes will run using the patch on basic FSX. But you must follow the installation directions for the patch exactly. Take another look at the illustrated instructions, pretending you are a complete newbie, and follow them step-by-step. I can not tell you anything more than is already there about how to do it. Good luck.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/hgrsm_blkani.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest Shalomar

I would be happy to buy the DC-3 again for FSX on one condition...**********************SHARED COCKPIT COMPATIBILITY*************************Best Regards, Donald T. :-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest johnno22

I have the MAAM RD4 DVD which goes well...love it. I have d'loaded the FSX fix r4dfsxu1.zip to fly it in FSX. It looks great and flies great but have one small problem....I cannot see out of the windows in the VC mode. Any clues please?

Guest johnno22

Thanks Bill for the window fix in DC3 for FSX. Have the same problem now for the B25 even after installing the FSX fix BT.FSXu1Can I use the same fix please?

Guest Wizardd

>Thanks Bill for the window fix in DC3 for FSX. Have the same>problem now for the B25 even after installing the FSX fix>BT.FSXu1>Can I use the same fix please?Hey John, don't remember where I found this, I think it was here at Avsim...do a search for "b25_fsxacgls.zip"...fixed the problem for me. As to the spinning prop transparency issue, after trying a few different approaches; I copy/pasted the "Prop_DC3.dds" from the default DC3 texture folder into the texture folder of BT...I then deleted "A_spinprop.bmp" after backing it up & then renamed "Prop_DC3.dds" to "A_spinprop.bmp"...I now have 'normal' looking spinning props in/on Briefing Time!...May not be perfect but will do nicely until the team has time to rebuild this great aircraft for us!...You will be 'warned' that changing the dot extension may make the file unusable...ignore it & click on 'do it anyway' (or words to that effect)...and go fly!Will now concentrate on trying to find a way to get my bombadier's view back!...Not sure it's something that can be done from my limited skill level, but will try anyway.Regards,Vance Roberts

Hi Vance,Well done. :-)Alas, the bombardier's views, as well as the other 2D outside views are gone for good. MS, in their ultimate wisdom, decided the fixed windows were no longer needed and eliminated them from FSX. They assumed that the new facility to have preset 3D views would replace such an antiquated thing! It's one of my personal peeves about FSX. Oh well. We'll just have to learn to adjust, I guess, but miss them too.Bill RambowMAAM-SIM http://www.fssupport.com/maam/hgrsm_blkani.gif

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest Wizardd

Thanks Bill!As I have more time to fiddle w/the 2D fixed window issues than you, I'll pursue it anyway...lol...I've always found it necessary to 'prove it' to myself...one day in 9th grade Algebra class, the teacher stated "the combined length of any 2 sides of a triangle will always be longer than the length of the 3rd side"...kind of obvious, isn't it?...I didn't hear another word she said for the rest of the hour...I was focused intently w/protractor, straight edge, etc.- doing my level best to prove her wrong, until at last I concurred. A mathematical truth I will never forget or dispute!I'll spend some time w/the SDK & try to learn how to use/create or convert the fixed windows to make them usable...if I succeed, I'll post the news here.Thanks again, Bill!Vance Roberts

Guest Wizardd

John...read and follow the steps I listed a couple of posts above this...should fix your problems as it did mine.Regards,Vance Roberts

Guest Wizardd

Hi again Bill,I've found a 'work-around' for the bombadier window issue...but I'm sure a variation of the approach could be done as well.The approach I took was to replace the GPS window w/the bombadiers window in the panel.cfg file...I think this could possibly be done by assigning the view to one of the 'camera views' instead, but haven't had time to pursue that line of thought yet...the camera views have 'GUID's assigned to them and I'm not sure how one would assign such an item to "Forward_up.bmp", perhaps it can be done w/o a GUID?A couple of changes need to be made in both the cfg file & the button control list...1.) - assign a button to the "2-D Cockpit View (shortcut)" in your button controls list (actually, in hindsight; tho I did this it may not be needed?)2.) - assign a button to the "Virtual Cockpit (shortcut)" in your button controls list.3.) - In your "Panel.cfg" you need to change the 'visible' setting from 1 to 0, like this: (this allows you to toggle it on/off with the button you chose in #2 above)// ----------------Main Panel------------------[Window00]file_1024=B25_MAIN.bmpsize_mm=1024position=7visible=0ident=0no_luminous=1The next step I took was to replace the GPS window info with the following:// ----------------GPS------------------[Window08]file=Forward_up.bmpsize_mm=1024position=7visible=0ident=37no_luminous=1Now by toggling the VC off & then calling the "GPS" I get the bombadiers view (see attached pic)...the obvious downside is that now I have no GPS...(they never had one in WWII either!)...that's why I'm thinking it might be a better option to figure out how to assign it to one of the camera views? The other late lamented views, side gunners, top turret. etc can be handled the same way, but at the expense of the current items: radio, throtte quad, etc...but at least I now have the bombadiers window again!...I DO like that! lolAny suggestions as to the "camera view" option would be nice! So for the moment, this is where I'm at with this project.Vance Roberts

For those that would like to use the Bombadier View in FSX.I work around to use the Bombadier Window.I replaced the CameraDefinition.2 with the one shown below.Title = "Bombadier"Guid = {f25dfa2e-fd2e-4b89-81e2-0575cbcb60de}Description = View from the left wing tip looking at the cockpitOrigin = Virtual CockpitSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FALSEPanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FALSETrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.7ShowWeather = YesInitialXyz = 0.3, -0.8, 1.4InitialPbh = 0, 0, 0XyzAdjust = TRUECategory=CockpitMomentumEffect = NoClipMode=MinimumIt is first shown at 0.70 Zoom.You can Zoom IN and OUT, the same way of the VC Cockpit.With 1 Screen Monitor at 1280 x 1024 below:fsscr035A.jpgWith 3 Monitors using TH2GO at 3840 x 1024 below:fsscr034A.jpgRegardsHappy FlyingGilles DuboisGilles Dubois

DearMark,Up until a year ago or so I was simming on FS9 and an active member of the DC3 Airways community ... then, for some reason I could not longer resist, bought the finest computer available and switched over to FSX. A few months later I did not only give up to fly the Gooney but also put flight simming aside more or less completely. This was partially because business and family demanded their part but mainly because the whole FSX thing was that much frustrating that I was loosing interest at all. I had a brand new QX9650/8800 Ultra/4GB system and was still tweaking and fiddling to get somehow satisfiying results. And it seems that our beloved MAAM R4D is also among the victims of FSX. At least I did not get her working properly. Hearing that you are planning an all new version is really good news. Having a working MAAM R4D would bring me probably to the point to try a second attempt with FSX. Although I'm a little in doubt that you will be able to make it in a reasonable time frame if I see how other "established" keep their schedules. OK, must of them have never published a schedule, but if we compare the development cycles it seems that FSX versions take much more time than expected.I don't have any special wishes for the FSX R4D. The last version was absolutely satisfying to me. If you could re-create that quality within the native FSX environment, I would be more than glad.Regards, Tom.