Sign in to follow this  
Dark Moment

How would you redesign the world's finest aircraft?

Yes, I know. I should be able to find more useful stuff to obsess about. Slap me. :(
SMACK! :( Actually, you may have some good ideas, but I'll leave it to Jan, Fred, and Hansi to figure out when the time comes.As for the "takeoff smoke", I can't duplicate it in either FS9 or FSX. So, the question is: What are you smoking, HoggyDog? :( Seriously, we've never had a report of this phenomenon. Which plane and which sim were you using, and does it happen at different default airports? Anyone else seeing the touchdown tire smoke effect at the moment of liftoff?

Bill Rambow

MAAM-SIM

www.maam.org

Guest HoggyDog
As for the "takeoff smoke", I can't duplicate it in either FS9 or FSX. So, the question is: What are you smoking, HoggyDog? :( Seriously, we've never had a report of this phenomenon. Which plane and which sim were you using, and does it happen at different default airports? Anyone else seeing the touchdown tire smoke effect at the moment of liftoff?
Wow- I just assumed that everyone was experiencing this. I am flying the MAAM-SIM R4D-6 Bare Metal airplane, "stock" except for the HSI/Gyro panel addon available in the library here, using FSX SP1 **without** SP2 or the "transparency fix."This occurs 100% of the time, at all airports from which I have taken off in this airplane, requiring only that I be using an exterior view at the moment of liftoff. I thought about trying to get a screenie of the tires smoking at liftoff (to prove that the hemp I'm smoking is USDA approved), but a still shot wouldn't "prove" whether I was lifting off or touching down... unless one wanted to infer flight phase based on flaps being retracted... but of course it is perfectly possible to touch down in a slightly-tail-low wheel landing attitude 2/3 along a runway with flaps retracted... which would be indistinguishable from a takeoff in a still picture...I would be glad to attempt a video capture of this happening and email it to the MAAM-SIM team... if I knew how to do a vid cap in FSX... or who to email it to...*wanders aimlessly away, idly chatting to no one in particular*

Guest HoggyDog

I hate to double-post, but this is an entirely different subject, and a direct response to the OP.In the oft-rumored but much delayed designed-for-FSX DC3 family, I would like to see realistic wing leading edges. All of the MAAM-SIM Gooneys seem to have strangely-pointed leading edges toward the lower surface of the wings... the real aircraft's leading edges are pretty evenly rounded, top to bottom.This is especially visible from a semi-frontal view of the airplane from around 10:00 or 2:00 o'clock looking back at the airplane- check the wing/nacelle juncture and you will see that the leading edges are rounded on top and come to an unrealistic more-or-less-sharp point toward the bottom of the leading edges.I just checked the native FSX DC3, and its leading edges appear more or less correct, i.e. rounded- so the issue is unique to the MAAM-SIM Gooneys.

Guest HoggyDog
I would be glad to attempt a video capture of this happening and email it to the MAAM-SIM team... if I knew how to do a vid cap in FSX... or who to email it to...
News flash: I just captured two videos of R4D-6 tire smoke at liftoff- one at Atlanta Hartsfield and one at London Heathrow. Unfortunately, the AVI files are 4-5 GIGAbytes each, so I guess the only way to get them to any MAAM-SIM person is burn them to a DVD and snail-mail it.Please let me know if you want me to do that and if so, to whom (address etc.). Thanks.

Hi guys,the thread is a bit old, but I would like to add my 2ct to this aircraft, which has been my favourite flightsim aircraft for many years now. Lately I went astray - for obvious reasons - and fly mainly the A2A B377 and the A2A Thunderbolt, as well as Aerosofts Catalina. I would like to see my old favourite match the quality and complexity of these products - I would love to reinvest in a new R4D / C-47.My points:- accurate engine model, like in the A2A Accusim types- accurate hydraulic / electrical system- a damage model - status window, like in the A2A aircraft, where aircraft systems / problems are shown (and can be corrected, in necessary, like overhaul an engine)- reworked cockpit with all the switches / systems working- environmental effects like freezing windows / carb icing / need for oxygen above 10k - graphically up to date, inside and out- flexing wings - creaking sounds when the aircraft is stressed (I fly the hump with the c-47.... enough said...)- cockpit windows to open, with wind and noise effectAnd another thing... a rather silly little gimmick, I know... after years and years in this cockpit, looking at the magnetic compass, which is hinged with rubber cords to the cockpit frame... I would love to see this thing wobble in turbulences (I guess it could be done...). As for new types:AC-47 Spooky GunshipC-47 Flare launcher (nice night-effects...)Thanks for this marvellous aircraft! Mark

After touring your facilities and MAAM museum last fall I would say a fresh approach for FSX of many of the aircraft displayed there would be warranted. I really enjoyed being close up to the real deals. I think the C-119 Flying Boxcar would be a hit, especially is it included a number of transportable vehicles that could also double as interesting runabouts at visited airports. Be sure to leave that big dent on the elevator! Thanks for a pleasant afternoon.Stephen

Guest granitesquare

I would support the earlier reply that suggested the addition of an animated copilot and passengers to lessen the feeling of always flying solo. Another good suggestion made was that of the addition of the subtle sounds of creaking, squealing, popping, etc. to enhance that dimension of the flight experience. When these elements are added, the total experience of flying this aircraft improves just as it does when the gauges and switches are made clickable and the flight files are tweaked to give the pilot a good feel of the DC-3. Looking forward to a true FSX version.

Thinking about this, what I'd really like to see is a Basler BT-67 variant included, which would be a case of stretching it and redesigning the engine nacelles plus the addition some modern avionics. Doing that would probably widen the appeal of it to those who might otherwise not be interested in an 'old' aeroplane.Al.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I vote for a modern radios and IFR panel option on the DC-3 as well -- similar to those panels found on restored airshow DC-3/C-47s.

I have a couple of requests for the new fsx R4D/C-47. Hopefully the navy/marine corps receive more attention in the paint scheme area. Average line duty type paint schemes worn by R4D's (including sea blue over gull gray colors). Also there should be a difference between the type of flight gear worn by the army air corps and navy/marine corps aircrew. For instance I doubt aircrew wore sheep skin lined leather jackets when flying in the pacific area. Also the head gear (hats) should be represetative of what was actually worn by pilots (army air corps and navy/marine corps). For instance, the army air corp wore a "crush" type barracks hat, while navy/marine corps aircrew wore the soft garrison cover (hat). Its also true aircrew of all services were more or less likely to wear no hat while flying.These may seem like small details but I asume accurate representation of the crews (civilain and military) that flew this great aicraft is important. I own aircraft made by carenado,eaglesoft and dreamfleet aircraft. Your R4D/C47 is the best of the bunch. Have a good day! Dennis

Any news on this yet Bill? Is it in Alpha or Beta stages please?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Any news on this yet Bill? Is it in Alpha or Beta stages please?
An answer would be appreciated please?

Dave Taylor gb.png

Badgering at every opportunity will get you and us nowhere...I would love to have what is one of the most well known and iconic aircraft ever to have been designed and built in FSX, at a level of realism and quality like A2A and so on. I sit and wait, hoping that this wish will come true...If it doesn't then so be it.I certainly see no reason for purchasing the competition's variant, as it just doesn't do the aircraft justice in my mind.We'll see the N3N and have an idea of what the revamped DC3/C47 may turn out to be for FSX...Andrew