Sign in to follow this  
Guest graaant

Aerosoft Beech D-18 Review

Guest graaant

I've read Brian Fletcher's Aerosoft Beech D-18 review, looking closely at the screenshots to get a sense of the aircraft's quality. Frankly, the review was extremely disappointing -- putting it as nicely as I can. How can he claim that the Aerosoft product is "second to none" and then say that he doesn't have any D-18s on his system? "Second to none" in English means better than all the rest, but he doesn't have any "rest" to talk about. Almost 24,000 AVSIM users have Milton Shupe & team's freeware D-18C on their system -- as far as I can tell far superior to the Aerosoft model -- how come the reviewer doesn't? Fortunately, simmers don't have to spend good money before discovering their mistake, and can download the freeware model first (d18svc4.zip on this site) -- fly it around for awhile, looking at the superb VC and external model, then go back to the AVSIM review to make their own decision on both the Aerosoft payware and the quality of the reviewRegardsGrant

Hi Grant,I agree that not comparing this payware to the freeware release is a missed chance. I can see that its difficult to do for all the reviews but the Milton Shupe freeware is so wel known that is should have been included in the review.I did fly the Aerosoft Beech in the version that was relased as part of freight dogs and I must admit that the model has a lot of good points.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest av84fun

<<"Second to none" in English means better than all the rest, but he doesn't have any "rest" to talk about.>>Not to quibble but if you're going to bash someone's review, you need to be more accurate yourself."Second to none" translated into all mondern languages, means that none are better, not "better than all the rest."In other words, any one thing, which is as good as any number of other things, is "second to none." (-:

The review is based on the product at hand, not as a comparison to the many variations of the same theme. Yes, there are better and worse releases out there, both as payware and freeware.Someone once said, "never go shopping after you have just bought a product, because someone will have a better, cheaper one the next day."You are absolutely correct, read the review and make your own decision. The reviewer has reported on what he has experienced. He is not trying to "sell" you a product, just giving his own honest opinion based on what he has experienced with the product given to him.

Guest graaant

Thanks for the interesting comment... can't disagree with what you say, but I suppose it all depends on how finely one wants to split hairs. As far as I can tell, the point I was making stands: that to call something "second to none" implies some sort of comparative relationship, that -- as you say -- none are better.Cheers,G

Thanks. You post led be to download the Beech D-18C. It is a very impressive pice of work. Given the type of aircraft I think it would be difficult to better this model.

Guest graaant

It's always a pleasure to turn fellow-simmers onto fine models ...

Maybe we could have more reviews of freeware? I realy miss the old Bears Cave type reviews. It would do a lot to give a more complete picture of what is 'out there'.That said I rely like the increased volume of reviews we now get and the abolising of the stars has made the review as a whole more relevant.

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

Guest Brian K

>The review is based on the product at hand, not as a>comparison to the many variations of the same theme. Well in this particulary review did the reviewer specific say that there wheren't any other models avali. There are, and that's a very good one. If the conclusion had been that the reviewed plane were the best payware, then there woulden't have been an outcry. But in this case the reviewer haven't even been searching the file library in avsim, cause if he had he would have known Miltons B18s.Just my two cents :-)Brian

Guest klarson8

I bought the Aerosoft planes and though they were pretty, they don't fly like a real beech 18. They are too fast, climb too fast and don't have enough drag. I personally will forego a little looks for a better flight model. Also, i have a problem with one of the gages showing the same for the left and right engine (can't remember which offhand) I will try the freeware version next week and see if i like it better.