Sign in to follow this  
Guest drewhosick

Anyone else working on missions?

Guest drewhosick

Hi all,I'll be honest, I've always wanted to contribute to the hobby but I didn't know where or how. I tried building planes and it just wasn't my thing(patience in learning how to model properly got the best of me). I've also tried other activities to no avail such as creating a VA and running an aerobatics group. Anyways, I've finally found something I think I can handle. I'm working on a short 1 hour mission flight through a snow storm right now and I just started tonight but things are going well. I got about 6 recordings made for it and I've started coding everything. I'm just curious if anyone else is getting anywhere with missions or if you are all out enjoying the sim instead for now?

Hi,I am picking up FSX tomorrow (10/21), assuming it's a store near me. I too have been wondering how easy or hard it is to create missions, and would also like to contribute to the hobby as well.I'm not sure how much programming knowledge is required yet. My background is in finance, and while I love spreadsheets, even BASIC programming is a stretch for me :)I'd be interested to hear how you are coming with your missions.Thanks, Bruce.

Guest 46th_Terror

I have started on making a mission. Been having fun with it not to say the wife hasen't asked me why I am yelling at the pc for. On a side note I am looking for somebody to do a few recordings for me circa 1940. And I am deserate for a flak effect that I can place.

Guest drewhosick

Bruce,my first mission is actually downloadable here at Avsim... Things have gone fantabulous... I really enjoy how easy the mission editor is. no real programming required unless you want to stretch passed the limits of the Mission creator and use Sim Connect or whatever to add more to the experience.

Thanks- I'll go look for it later. I installed FSX just yesterday, and am enjoying it. The trick is to not keypress "Shift-Z". :)Bruce.

Guest archtx

Drew:I have not started creating a mission yet, but have browsed thru the Missions Creation Kit. It appears that there is an XML file for each of the missions that came with FSX. Is it possible to edit those XML files and create a new mission? For instance, say that I just wanted to change the aircraft in a default mission from the DC-3 to a Beech 18, would I be able to do that? I see that as a possible way to "ease" into the missions creation utility until I get comfortable with the way it works....as opposed to starting from scratch. Wonder if anyone has tried that approach?

Guest drewhosick

Well you could try but the mission doesn't specify the aircraft, the way you specify the aircraft is when you make a mission you also make a flight file alongside it(with the aircraft, place, weather, etc) and that's what has the aircraft information. Then you just point the mission file to your flight file.

Guest archtx

Aha! Thanks, Drew.I'll give it a try!

Guest archtx

Yep, that works. Actually I just backed up the flight file and then changed the name of the aircraft in the original. Of course it has to be something compatible with the adventure. I flew the Congo Adventure in the Aero Commander...and the Amazon Adventure in the Beech 18 Amphibian. Both worked out great! A bonus is that the FS9 aircraft seem a little more friendly on the frame rate.

Guest drewhosick

Good luck Tord. yes, it's much easier in my opinion to do missions especially if you have no artistic or little artistic talent. And you can move up in dificulty as you progress. I'd recommend considering an easy mission(and I don't mean in terms of flying it either). An easy mission should be something that doesn't require too much work in terms of making the mission. maybe something as short as a sightseeing tour or something like that. You know, something that will let you get a taste of the editor without immersing yourself in it too quickly.