Sign in to follow this  
Guest rightnumberone

New Mission - Boston Skyscraper Fire!

Guest rightnumberone

A MASSIVE new mission for Flight Simulator X.Mission BriefA single-engine aircraft has apparently crashed into a skyscraper in downtown Boston. The resulting fire is threatening a Boston-area landmark

Since I loaded your mission I have now lost ALL the others!!!!!!!!!!Thanks a lot!!

Dave Taylor gb.png

Guest rightnumberone

Dave,Several hundred people have downloaded and installed the Boston Skyscraper Fire mission, with no evidence of the effect that you mention, but I apologize if it caused you any grief.I have posted instructions on installing this mission here:http://fsxmissions.blogspot.com/2006/12/bo...raper-fire.htmlThe installation is just a file copy of a typical mission folder. There is nothing special in that folder, other than required mission files. All files used are contained ONLY within that folder.No Flight Simulator X files are changed - nothing has either been added or removed from the default installation directory, other than the folder containing this mission. Even the US Ambulance in the mission is still "underground" because I chose not to correct that file on anyone else's hard disk (there is a bug in the .cfg file for the US Ambulance that shipped with the program.)I'm not sure why you got the behavior you state.The category GUIDS that were used came directly from a Microsoft employee. I cannot vouch for them specifically, but that's where I got them and I haven't had any trouble with them so far. The only way to get the category GUID into the mission is to paste it, so I'm pretty sure I didn't introduce a typograpical error there.I'm not sure where you downloaded the mission, but if you downloaded it from http:fsxmissions.blogspot.com, then you got the latest, most up-to-date problem-free version. I have seen this mission posted elsewhere on the internet in various forums, but I cannot vouch for what exists elsewhere on the internet. (I doubt it's been altered, but who knows?)Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, and again, sorry for any problems you might have experienced.

HiI've just tried this mission as linked to here and followed the install instructions to the letter, as per your clear instructions ... I've owned FS products and add ons since FS2, I think I know what I'm doing :)Upon re-starting FSX after unzipping this mission to the the challenges folder, I noticed I had lost at least a couple of the Expert FSX missions :( I haven't checked to see if the others I haven't completed yet are gone or not? I hope not.This mission looks promising, however, but when I did try it, my helo engine failed and I crashed before I got to the accident site, not sure if this is meant to be a mission objective to overcome or not?I don't mean to slam you, but you say several hundred people have installed this package with no evidence of problems, yet I see little feedback for it, one way or the other.Dont get me wrong, you are to be commended for taking the time to do this, but I honestly think this one needed a bit more beta testing for all systems and configurations out there.

Guest liazkam

Hi Kevin,The mission is great. Definently one of the best heli missionsout there.However, I have a question - In the post u stated that we start in Bell Jet Ranger, which does happen. But in the overview it is stated that we will fly a Bel 205 Heli Tank. Furthermore, in one stage we may choose to help fight the fire -How can this be done without a helitank?Thanx for any reply?L.K.

Guest fsxmissionguy

LK,Sorry I'm back to this thread so late, just noticed it.Boston Skyscraper Fire was my very first mission, so, I was still learning a lot.About half-way through the mission creation process, I realized, in a very Homer Simpson-like "Doh!" moment, that I didn't get the Bell 205 Helitanker from Microsoft as part of FSX. I got it by installing another mission that I'd downloaded from another mission author (who did have permission from the simulation's author.)So, that's the reason. I was trying to respect the author of that simulation's rights ... and at the last moment, had to switch out the mission to use the default Jet Ranger.The mission still flys excellent, I think and you can still help fight the fire. Just requires that you use a bit more imagination that I had originally intended.Hope that clears it up.Cheers,Kevin D. Greenehttp://fsxmissions.blogspot.com/

Guest liazkam

Hi Kevin,Thank you very much for the fast reply. Can u give us a hint about how we can finish the mission?I guess taking water from the river is not the way in a Jet Ranger.LK