Sign in to follow this  
Guest cliffie1931

"Civil Air Patrol Search" power loss?

Guest cliffie1931

After gaining height the aircraft loses power some while after takeoff.I've set the mixture to lean, the pitot heat is on but I can't think of anything else to solve the problem.Any idea please?Cliff

Guest Gunner_CAF

Carb Heat. You can read how it works in the FSX Learning Center, Index, Carburetors, Icing.Gunner

Turning on the "alt air" also doesn't hurt. (It is the silver T-handle in the lower center of the panel).

Guest lflinares

I have the same issue where I can't clomb past 8000 MSL, but it does not happen in the Alaska mission, where I climbed to 15000 MSL. I'll try the carburator heat next time.LuisKMIA

Guest Gunner_CAF

>I have the same issue where I can't clomb past 8000 MSL, but>it does not happen in the Alaska mission, where I climbed to>15000 MSL. I'll try the carburator heat next time.>>Luis>KMIAThe weather conditions are different in these two missions. The CAP mission has weather conditions that are right for ice. Gunner

Guest cliffie1931

Thanks guys. I appreciate the guidance.Cliff

Guest lflinares

I turned on the carb heat, made it over the mountians, and picked up the pilot with no problems, but now the aircraft is stuggling to climb (additional weight?). I can't make it over the mountains back to the CAP base. Anyone else have this problem?LuisKMIA

Guest lflinares

I tried it again and finished the mission successfully. I just needed more time to climb.Happy Flying!

I would guess that you are flying an aircraft with a normally aspirated engine (not turbo charged). If this is the case, as the air thins as you climb, the engine produces less power even if you lean the mixture. Even a jet engine is mormally aspirated. Try flying the 747. See the rate of climb at 250 knots right after takeoff and then check it climbing through 30,000 feet - much less because the air is thinner and the engine output is much less.

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

Hey folks, using the alt air switch makes all the difference. I have that and pitot heat turned on right after takeoff. The alt air can only be turned on in the 2d as mentioned from another poster here. I think shift 1 or shift 2 opened the 2d main panel, as I fly only VC, so this was my only option to access it. Thanks for the help. I do hope more missions are created with voice and such, as I am running out. I've found that after years of flying, this gives fresh air to the simulation. If any of you remember flight unlimited III, there was missions with real voice recordings as well. That was before I fell for MSFS when version 2004 came about. :)