Sign in to follow this  
dlhusk

Slingload Tutorial

Has anyone sucessfully completed this tutorial? Aside from the way the EH101 handles after I pick up the load of crates, they start swinging wildly, no matter how slow I go?As I was looking at actual slingload videos online at youtube they have a 4 point sling, using a single line is like creating a pendelum effect to me.Anyone have any hints?Thanks

Guest Gunner_CAF

I just finished it tonight. I have been doing this mission for several nights.I am not good a choppers in the first place. I have been working on getting a good hover. I found increasing the sensitivity of my joystick axis helps. When the stick is more responsive, it seems to be easier to make quick small adjustments.My next problem was finding a view to use when picking up, moving and setting down the load. I have best control from in the cockpit, but I can't see the load. From a fixed outside load, I need to be level or near level with the chopper to get good control. If I move the point of view back so I can see the load, it's again hard to control. I don't have a good solution, but it seems to help if I can see the shadow of the helo. Moving with a load seems to be easier for me from inside the cockpit and going slow. Keep pointed in the same direction and make decents gradual. When I got near the drop point, I got as close as possible, then moved to the outside view to place the load. I used pause a lot.Good luck,Gunner

Thanks, Gunner I am still working on it. Last night I was able to pickup the load and I too was looking for the best view. In the tutorial he says the best view is "Locked spot" that does work best for me. I backed of a ways and seems to be better.Still when I started towards the truck it started that wild swinging and I lost it again, think I wll try from the cockpit. Also I found that setting the height to about 85 feet before I got to the load helped.Congrats on the finish, quite a deal!Danny

read the thread about the eh101 surging in the fsx forum, I think you will find helpful information there from some in-house experts. I use the vc, but another hero in there is using the transparent HUD looking view, and another window with the camera view looking down off the hoist. Bet it works pretty slick. I use a trackir and a top down view windowed. If you don't have a trackir, look into freetrack.org

Guest Gunner_CAF

Yes, that was a good thread. I tried some different configurations. I like the mini panel. Opening another window is a little hard on my frame rates, but it works. Turning down the Torque effect also makes it easier to control.I have a FreeTrack setup. I have not tried it with Acceleration. In the past, I didn't like it with choppers. Keeping a steady fixed view seems to make it easier to control a hover.The big key is practice, the more I practice the better I get :)Gunner

Finished the mission on my second attempt.Go slow and stay low. More so with the hummer.I did find out one thing that the co-pilot nor the mission briefing talked about. When you use the side hoist, you have 300 ft of line.You can let out as much line as you want by hitting the key strokes a second time to stop the line play out. Then just do a slow hover over the object in the water or where ever it is and it will attached.I found out the first time I tryed this mission that letting out all the hoist line makes the dude jerk around like a fish and slings him off to his death. I used about 60 ft of cable and reeled him in nice and easy the second time.I also found out that if you do use all the cable, dude might grab onto the sling hoist below the chopper. Anyway, hope it helps.RegardsErnest

Guest Gunner_CAF

Ernest,Good job! I think my second attempt I hit the fence :)

It is a learned skill. I can only imagine what a real helo would be like.Now to save those stupid kayakere in Key West.RegardsErnest