Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Rex Quick Start Guide

Thanks, last question... :)Why the need to turn off water textures to prevent a 6 minute load.Are the water textures being changed for each weather report too,if you turn them off do you still get water like in the REX screenshots?All this constant texture changing sounds like it would fragment things quickly too?
I think the water textures are being changed also-if you have them checked. They seem to add considerably to program load time and if you are not that interested in the water changes as David discovered, it decreases load time considerably to uncheck them. You have the option to check what you want to change in the options section-as many or few if you want. Or you can run it like the present Fex and just select what you want and leave it there. I have to say I have never seen water look as good as this-and that is running 2x low.

Guest Mower

The crux of the question was not answered:Can textures be loaded by REX into FSX AFTER FSX is started?

The crux of the question was not answered:Can textures be loaded by REX into FSX AFTER FSX is started?
The answer is NO and that is not related to REX or whatever addon, it's the way FSX is written.(Geof, thanks for your kind words :--))

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Guest Mower

Then the question remains: how does REX know what textures to load where without the flight plan ahead of time?This matters because the FP with REX as it stands now is wholly inadequate for serious flight planning so I am using ones created with FSB and FSC.How does one make REX aware of the route or even does it need to be aware to load the right textures at the right time in the right place?Thanx.

Then the question remains: how does REX know what textures to load where without the flight plan ahead of time?This matters because the FP with REX as it stands now is wholly inadequate for serious flight planning so I am using ones created with FSB and FSC.How does one make REX aware of the route or even does it need to be aware to load the right textures at the right time in the right place?Thanx.
Well, there is already one that will. So I'm keeping what I have. :(

He has a point there. :(

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

Probably best to wait for the answer to the same question you posted on the Rex forum. I don't think anyone knows more here than the developer and only he can answer this with authority.

Guest Mower

I'm sure the REX folks are watching here as well so just to clarify...I do not expect them to come up with a better flight planner since other companies have long since laid claim to that.All we need is for REX to be able to import those flight plans the same way ASX does.I'm a little surprised this escaped attention during development TBH.

Guest JimC1702

David, I've got to say thanks again for your guide. I discovered I wasn't loading REX/FSX correctly. Tonight I followed your guide and everything worked at it should, the weather loaded into FSX, and I had a most pleasant flight. I think a lot of people's frustrations are from the lack of concise directions with the program.Thanks!Jim

Guest abulaafia

One would hope the weather is based on METARs, not only TAFs though! But maybe that is why in four out of five tests I found that weather is NOT rendered accurately.Visibility was not correct according to METAR in all five flights (>10 when METAR had 2, and then again less than 10 when METAR unlimited). And the abrupt wind shift issue doesn't seem to be solved either - had massive windshift at 33'000, just like with default and ASX. No improvement there it seems. Still experimenting though.

David we can't thank you enough for this! Just SUPERB.Do we have your permission to use this information verbatim?Thanks again David! :( Tim

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

One would hope the weather is based on METARs, not only TAFs though! But maybe that is why in four out of five tests I found that weather is NOT rendered accurately.Visibility was not correct according to METAR in all five flights (>10 when METAR had 2, and then again less than 10 when METAR unlimited). And the abrupt wind shift issue doesn't seem to be solved either - had massive windshift at 33'000, just like with default and ASX. No improvement there it seems. Still experimenting though.
Hmmm-I've been testing tonight and it has been spot on with the metars I've tried in every respect. Don't know about the abrupt wind shift as I never fly that high though.Curious-are you testing the metars in the US or someplace else and did you get the green message on the screen that the weather had loaded?

David we can't thank you enough for this! Just SUPERB.Do we have your permission to use this information verbatim?Thanks again David! :( Tim
Hi Tim,Yes of course !!I am happy if it helps.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Then the question remains: how does REX know what textures to load where without the flight plan ahead of time?
Good question. I've asked a couple of times now over at the REX forums, and Reed (rstough) explained they are going to look into this :(

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Good question. I've asked a couple of times now over at the REX forums, and Reed explained they are going to look into this :(
Seems to me that they replied above (FAQ.#5) but some like to ignore answers they either don't like or they don't understand. :(