Sign in to follow this  
David Roch

Rex Quick Start Guide

Seems to me that they replied above (FAQ.#5) but some like to ignore answers they either don't like or they don't understand. :(
hehe, yeah. The same questions over and over and over. So far todays seem to be exactly the same as yesterdays and the fixes are certainly no different.Oh well. Hopefully some of the bugs can get squashed quick but now that is info around and exactly what must be done to get things to work it is a bit easier to get past the flakiness.Steven.

Guest Mower
Seems to me that they replied above (FAQ.#5) but some like to ignore answers they either don't like or they don't understand. :(
I saw that answer but it doesnt answer the question of how REX can load specific weather textures for a given place and time along a specific flight route like ASX does.

it doesnt answer the question of how REX can load specific weather textures for a given place and time along a specific flight route like ASX does.
Frankly I think this whole topic of loading textures for "specific route of flight" in my opinion smacks on voodoo. Someone may claim that this can be done and I say it makes little sense. It makes little sense because weather is extremely complex phenomena and textual description in METARs and TAFs is so crude in its detail that it can't possibly tell you what type of say cumulus clouds to expect along a specific route. ASX or another weather engine/texture can have at its disposal say palette of 50 available cumulus textures and there is nothing in those reports that would indicate that for example texture #39 will be better than say texture #43. If you flew along the same route on that day/place in real aircraft you would most likely saw completely different clouds than what was rendered in your hyped "route-specific" weather in FS. Two different weather programs with well meaning developers behind them both claiming "route-specific" textures most likely will give you significantly different looking clouds on a given route and they both will claim sophisticated algorithms to process METARs and TAFs. Of course the program loads some textures for all weather eventualities so it can handle cumulus, stratus, nimbus, cirrus, storms, etc. along the route but if someone here thinks that they can give you "route-specific" textures so you will get different types of say stratus clouds going north versus south or east and that this in fact corresponds to real-weather variations in this time/place then I have beach-front property in Arizona that I would like to sell you. :(
hehe, yeah. The same questions over and over and over.
Yeah, frankly I can't believe it - the same questions repeated on REX forums in 500 different variations. It seems people are missing what is really wrong with current weather in FS - poor transitions, sudden discontinuities in winds, pressure, temperature, visibility but this flight -plan specific weather became almost a religion for some and IMHO it is a false religion.

Guest Mower
but this flight -plan specific weather became almost a religion for some and IMHO it is a false religion.
You could be right...or hideously wrong.

@ David thanks for sharing great tips man :(
My pleasure Andr

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Yeah, thanks David. You are really an icon :( !

Frankly I think this whole topic of loading textures for "specific route of flight" in my opinion smacks on voodoo. Someone may claim that this can be done and I say it makes little sense. It makes little sense because weather is extremely complex phenomena and textual description in METARs and TAFs is so crude in its detail that it can't possibly tell you what type of say cumulus clouds to expect along a specific route. ASX or another weather engine/texture can have at its disposal say palette of 50 available cumulus textures and there is nothing in those reports that would indicate that for example texture #39 will be better than say texture #43. If you flew along the same route on that day/place in real aircraft you would most likely saw completely different clouds than what was rendered in your hyped "route-specific" weather in FS. Two different weather programs with well meaning developers behind them both claiming "route-specific" textures most likely will give you significantly different looking clouds on a given route and they both will claim sophisticated algorithms to process METARs and TAFs. Of course the program loads some textures for all weather eventualities so it can handle cumulus, stratus, nimbus, cirrus, storms, etc. along the route but if someone here thinks that they can give you "route-specific" textures so you will get different types of say stratus clouds going north versus south or east and that this in fact corresponds to real-weather variations in this time/place then I have beach-front property in Arizona that I would like to sell you. :(
Somehow i have the same impression regarding voodoo... But maybe providing a few 'global' themes like fair, snow, thunderstorm, front, ect. would already cut the cake. Of course you must be able to tell the program where your flight will start that it knows the local conditions. On the other hand - most likely it won''t fit when you cover long distance with heavy iron. FSX has it's limitations, no doubt...

Michael hit the naill right on the head with his post. How many times have we seen posts from real-weather users that say something like, "I just loaded XXX and ran the real-world weather generator, and the clouds in my flight simulator don't look anything like what I see outside my window in the real world right now!"No weather generator for FSX can ever reproduce an EXACT replica of what you would see at any given time at any given location in the real world. There are too many variables. Heck, if that could be done on a home computer, weather prediction in the real world would be an exact science. You would be able to predict the exact location, cloud formations, winds, course track, and results of a hurricane. THAT isn't even possible now using the world's fastest computers available. Even with those computers crunching all the numbers THEY can handle, predicting what and where a weather system will do or be like in the next few HOURS is still a "best guess" adventure.The weather generation capabilities of any program for FSX can only produce a "generic" system of weather. It will draw "similar" type clouds, but these clouds will still be in "random locations" in the scenery...not in the exact same locations they might be seen in the real world. Same with winds, and various visibility parameters. The "ideal" weather generation application for this would do it without causing things like unwanted wind shears (one of the main problems encountered now in FSX...and not the fault of the application itself in most cases...but a limitation of FSX itself), and things like the "low layer fog" problem around mountains (which there are "tweak fixes" available for now if the user wants to use them). But in the end, any weather "system" portrayed in FSX is still going to be a "generic" portrayal of the real world. It may be close...it may use different textures for different cloud types...but it isn't ever going to be "exact" by any stretch of the imagination.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

Eventually they did respond, yes. No harm in asking again if you don't understand an answer right? That's communicating. And to be honest I was disappointed because REX deals with weather and corresponding textures on a global level. I completely missinterpreted the statement on the REX website that the programm is "fully integrated to select Sky, Cloud, Water, Airport, and Effect Themes based upon weather situation, season, and other synoptic, meso-scale, and micro weather conditions". And what about the expanation on the weather page at the REX site: "The REX team has spent thousands of hours creating textures, hand picking them and creating theme textures that best suit various weather situations and scenarios. No more hodgepodge of textures that don't represent real-world weather conditions. The weather has specific hidden patterns within its soul. It takes a true understanding of this pattern to understand that certain clouds, sky, and water textures match a certain soul of the weather. Thus, the REX weather platform looks at the data and instantly chooses the textures necessary to create a real world weather experience unlike never seen before.We have consulted with true weather chasers to try to match their experience and put it into the experience you will have as you fly from point A to point B. How many times have you used another tool to load a cloud structure only to find out it looks less than convincing within a certain given weather condition? No more!". To me this came across as data based on the location the user was going to fly. For that matter, giving the fact global weather is pretty diverse, this whole statement seems bold. In the end REX selects textures randomly. How on earth can a single texture for let's say cumulus clouds represent real world global weather conditions?I see your point though, but I don't totally agree. I usually fly short routes, so I think it is perfectly possible to select textures for the weather specific to that route. Ofcourse that may also be random an not completely corresponding to what one would see outside, and the longer the route the more difficult it gets to render accurate textures. However I think it is better than randomly selected textures based on a globally cached weather information. Let's just say the chance you get mismatched textures is larger than specifying a much smaller region before the app loads textures.I'm glad the REX developers are gonna have a look at this. Now why would they do that? Seems everyone who brought this up has a point somehow...

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

Guest abulaafia

It really seems there is something fundamentally wrong with the REX approach to select "global texture" selection. This is a big disappointment, and even though the marketing babble is too vague, it certainly wasn't what I expected. ASX can select textures based on one airport or a calculated average of weather conditions on the route - that seems a rather basic and useful functionality. I expected REX to expand on that, not take a step and give us what are in effect totally arbitrary textures based on "global weather". I'll check tonight how it works with runway textures - one would expect wet runways when the METAR says rain now, wouldn't one.

It really seems there is something fundamentally wrong with the REX approach to select "global texture" selection. This is a big disappointment, and even though the marketing babble is too vague, it certainly wasn't what I expected. ASX can select textures based on one airport or a calculated average of weather conditions on the route - that seems a rather basic and useful functionality. I expected REX to expand on that, not take a step and give us what are in effect totally arbitrary textures based on "global weather". I'll check tonight how it works with runway textures - one would expect wet runways when the METAR says rain now, wouldn't one.
Well all I know is I went in to customize my REX textures tonight and saw it had selected "Midwest storms" for my theme.I happen to live in the Midwest of the US-so maybe a coincidinc or not-but got my attention. I have for the last 3 days as a test used the Rex weather download-then matched it to my out the window view and current metar reports-and it was very close if not exact to the metars-at least my criteria is does what the sim does match what I see out the window and what the reports say and how closely they match?Just loading some generic REX textures which I think is really what this program is mostly about-and using Asx to generate the weather I was amazed .I have Asx (the best), Fex (also the best for general clouds imho) and now Rex (also amazing-after looking at water I can't live with anyone else's till the next add on pops up.) I am not sure what I will stick with-but I am sure enjoying all the choices and combos to get the reality I desire. I like the combo method now-I have no loyalty but to what gives the greatest realism.Probably will end up with a combo of all till the next upgrade from all when perhaps a winner may emerge. I am happy for anything that increases reality. I think I'll support all-as it keeps getting closer and closer-a lot cheaper than the real thing right now-and all are competing to get it closer-bring it on!

Well all I know is I went in to customize my REX textures tonight and saw it had selected "Midwest storms" for my theme.I happen to live in the Midwest of the US-so maybe a coincidinc or not-but got my attention. I have for the last 3 days as a test used the Rex weather download-then matched it to my out the window view and current metar reports-and it was very close if not exact to the metars-at least my criteria is does what the sim does match what I see out the window and what the reports say and how closely they match?Just loading some generic REX textures which I think is really what this program is mostly about-and using Asx to generate the weather I was amazed .I have Asx (the best), Fex (also the best for general clouds imho) and now Rex (also amazing-after looking at water I can't live with anyone else's till the next add on pops up.) I am not sure what I will stick with-but I am sure enjoying all the choices and combos to get the reality I desire. I like the combo method now-I have no loyalty but to what gives the greatest realism.Probably will end up with a combo of all till the next upgrade from all when perhaps a winner may emerge. I am happy for anything that increases reality. I think I'll support all-as it keeps getting closer and closer-a lot cheaper than the real thing right now-and all are competing to get it closer-bring it on!
Very well said Geof.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

Yes, very well said. That's what i am doing since i fly in the virtual world - using the strongest parts of all the top addons out there for an unmatched experience. That's no rocket science... :(