Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tom R

Vista 3GB/userva Switch

Guest Tom R

Ok, I've been looking around the forums here and since Vista doesnt use a boot.ini file, you use bcdedit correct?Can anyone clarify for me how exactly to complete this switch with the 3GB?Thanks

Ok, I've been looking around the forums here and since Vista doesnt use a boot.ini file, you use bcdedit correct?Can anyone clarify for me how exactly to complete this switch with the 3GB?Thanks
TomI guess you are talking about Vista 32?From: http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...#entry5902616161. Log in as an administrator 2. Open the Start menu, type cmd in the Search box, and right-click on cmd.exe and choose "Run as Administrator"3. Type in BCDEDIT /Set IncreaseUserVa 3072 (Note: the '3072' can be changed to suit your needs. I would not go below 2600 or higher than 3100 personally. Refer to Microsoft's guidelines on the /3GB & UserVA switches for XP for more information) --This method will set the UserVA for the boot option currently in use. 4. Hit Enter; you should get a confirmation message. Reboot. The next time you boot into the modified boot option, it should be using UserVA.5. If you wish to check whether you did things correctly, simply type bcdedit in the command prompt. The modified boot option should have a userva option, whereas the other one(s) shouldn't.This is not needed in Vista 64 and that's the best solution to this issue :( RegardsPeterH

Guest firehawk44
PeterH provided an excellent response but I just wanted to add this will only work with SP2 or Acceleration installed. It will work for the orig FSX and SP1 but you will need to hack into the FSX.exe and modify it to tell your system that FSX can see/use more than 2GB of memory. Nick N and some others have provided excellent guidance on this in the FSX Forum.Jim

PeterH provided an excellent response but I just wanted to add this will only work with SP2 or Acceleration installed. It will work for the orig FSX and SP1 but you will need to hack into the FSX.exe and modify it to tell your system that FSX can see/use more than 2GB of memory. Nick N and some others have provided excellent guidance on this in the FSX Forum.Jim
JimGood point - I'd forgotten about that.RegardsPeterH