Sign in to follow this  
pierrot

Using fs9 flights/missions with FSX?

I would like to re-use FS9 flights in FSX (namely the series of Doherty's Difficult & Dangerous Approaches).In FS9 it was as simple as opening an existing flight.But in can't find this in FSX. There are existing (and add-ons) missions, but if I place one of the Doherty's Difficult & Dangerous Approaches folder into the FSX Missions folder, nothing shows up. If I put it into the Flights folder, still no joy.What am I missing ? Typically, the Doherty's Difficult & Dangerous Approaches include pairs of .FLT + .WX files. I try to understand the reason why in comparing the FSX missions folders, but can't get a clue of what goes wrong and what I'd do to make it work.Help! :(

The flights folder under the application directory is just for some system required default flights (if it can't find any other flight file to load, it will default to one of these - usually fltsim.flt). To load your flights, you have two options. You can place them in any subdir you like, and then double click on them to launch them, or you can place them in the user's saved flights directory (under Vista, this is c:\users\USERNAME\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files) and then they will show up in the Load Flight dialog.Only FSX missions are recognized under the missions subdir.Tim

I would like to re-use FS9 flights in FSX (namely the series of Doherty's Difficult & Dangerous Approaches).In FS9 it was as simple as opening an existing flight.But in can't find this in FSX. There are existing (and add-ons) missions, but if I place one of the Doherty's Difficult & Dangerous Approaches folder into the FSX Missions folder, nothing shows up. If I put it into the Flights folder, still no joy.What am I missing ? Typically, the Doherty's Difficult & Dangerous Approaches include pairs of .FLT + .WX files. I try to understand the reason why in comparing the FSX missions folders, but can't get a clue of what goes wrong and what I'd do to make it work.Help! :(
FSX will open FS2004 aka FS9 saved flights, and technically only needs the *.FLT file to do this.Some caveats:Be aware that the terrain model in FS9 is often misplaced by as much as 1/2 Kilometer from the more geographically correct world model in FSX, so positions may not be the same relative to the better terrain in FSX as they were in FS9; however "NotePad is your friend", so you can edit the *.FLT file to amend these issues.Also, if you don't have the same aircraft in FSX that was used in the saved FS9 flight, FSX will load the default Cessna; this info too can be edited in NotePad.Windows XP location for saved flights in FSX is where copies of desired FS9 flight can be placed for prompt "loading":C:\Documents and Settings\My Documents\Flight Simulator X FilesSaved Flights usually consist of both a *.FLT and *.Wx file with the same name prefix, and if a Flight Plan was created too, it normally should have the same name prefix with a *.PLN file extension; all should be copied to the above FSX folder location from the FS9 saved files location:C:\Documents and Settings\[user Account or Profile Name]\My Documents\Flight Simulator FilesBTW: Saved Flights in either FS9 or FSX, and FSX "Missions" are all different than FS9 "Adventures"; I am also unaware of any converter yet available either payware or freeware that can turn an FS9 Adventure into an FSX Mission.Hope this helps! :( GaryGB