Sign in to follow this  
soldano

Strange problem with aircraft ground shadows

Something strange is happening with FSXWhen I try to open a flight from an European airport at daytime, the sim crashes.-If I open it at night, there is no problem.- I discovered that disabling aircraft ground shadows fixes the problem.-Changing the AI traffic density makes no difference.-Strangely, when I open it from a North America or South America airport, everything goes OK, even with aircraft ground shadows enabled, and at daytime.-It seems that is something related with time and latitude.-The problem began recently, as when I installed the Acceleration Pack everything worked OK, with the exception of a few addon sceneries in which AI aircraft could not be seen at day when aircraft ground shadows were enabled.-Any ideas ?FSX/AccelerationWin XP SP3

Something strange is happening with FSXWhen I try to open a flight from an European airport at daytime, the sim crashes.-If I open it at night, there is no problem.- I discovered that disabling aircraft ground shadows fixes the problem.-Changing the AI traffic density makes no difference.-Strangely, when I open it from a North America or South America airport, everything goes OK, even with aircraft ground shadows enabled, and at daytime.-It seems that is something related with time and latitude.-The problem began recently, as when I installed the Acceleration Pack everything worked OK, with the exception of a few addon sceneries in which AI aircraft could not be seen at day when aircraft ground shadows were enabled.-Any ideas ?FSX/AccelerationWin XP SP3
What you are seeing is a known issue. I too have that issue with some of my add-on airports where I see no AI with the ground shadow effect on. I actually keep it turned off as it gives a extra notch of performance.Jim

Jim Wenham

What you are seeing is a known issue. I too have that issue with some of my add-on airports where I see no AI with the ground shadow effect on. I actually keep it turned off as it gives a extra notch of performance.Jim
Indeed is a known issue with which I lived up today.- As there are very few addon sceneries in which the issue was present, I had aircraft ground shadows enabled.- Now the problem is different, CTDs happens when opening a flight from any European zone airport, so this gives me no choice, I have definitely to disable aircraft ground shadows .-

Indeed is a known issue with which I lived up today.- As there are very few addon sceneries in which the issue was present, I had aircraft ground shadows enabled.- Now the problem is different, CTDs happens when opening a flight from any European zone airport, so this gives me no choice, I have definitely to disable aircraft ground shadows .-
I discovered the cause, I tried disabling and reenabling sequencially all addon sceneries installed, and as strange as it sounds, I found that "france monuments" was the cause of the CTD; I uninstalled it and now I can go to Heathrow and De Gaulle with aircraft shadows enabled, without FSX crashing.-Only a few addon airports in my case, have the particularlity of not showing AI aircrafts when shadows are enabled.-

I had a similar problem where AI aircraft would disappear when certain scenery was loaded and you flew in its vicinity. In my case it was FS2004 AI flight plans being used in FSX. I used a program called AI Flight Planner to convert the flightplans to FSX and the problem went away.