Sign in to follow this  
ZachLW

Setting up LAN for WideFS

I just purchased WideFS and FSUIPC for FS9 with high hopes of running ASA, Squawk Box, and FSCommander from my laptop. I'm using a hard wire to the back of my wireless router, which is then connected to the router supplied by my DSL company. The question is, how do I network the computers to get WideFS connected? I've ran networking wizard and can see shared folders between the two, but when I try to send files to either I get an error that the disk may be write protected. I just need good step-by-step instruction on how to set up two XP Pro computers for networking/LAN. Please help!!! :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Not sure if anyone was going to answer, but I did get WideFS working, had to disable windows firewall. Now I just have to figure out how to allow without turning it off. In the mean time I have to figure out how to set up ASA and the other addons. GRRR, I'm going to get my $100 plus worth if it kills me! :(

___________________________________________________________________________________

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

There is a radio button on WINS tab of the Advanced TCP/IP settings dialog named "Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP. That should be selected.Make sure that both boxes are members of the same workgroup.Make sure that you're an administrator, (with the exact same username and password), on both boxes.Make sure that both PCs are either using simple file sharing or advanced file sharing. They both should be the same...I prefer advanced file sharing myself.Turn off the the windows firewall.That should get the 2 boxes talking to each other. I've never used wideFS before but once you've done the above, it might work?Mark

One more thing I forgot...Make sure that both boxes are on the same IP segment and have the same sub net mask. I prefer to hard code IP addresses on networks when possible.Mark

Hi,This is what I did to get things setup on my computers.1. You need to have two computers networked. I did this by connecting both computers via a crossover cable.================================================Flight Sim Computer Ethernet Setup | COMPUTER #1================================================Internet Protocol TCP/IP------------------------IP Address: 192.168.0.40Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: I left This BlankDNS Server Addresses: I left Both Blank_________________________________________________________Now go to My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections1. Go to Advanced / Network Identification2. Computer Description = Flightsim3. Full Computer Name = System 14. Workgroup = MSHOME========================================================Flight Sim Add-ons Computer Ethernet Setup | COMPUTER #2========================================================Internet Protocol TCP/IP------------------------IP Address: 192.168.0.50Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: I left This BlankDNS Server Addresses: I left Both Blank_________________________________________________________Now go to My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections1. Go to Advanced / Network Identification2. Computer Description = Flightsim3. Full Computer Name = System 24. Workgroup = MSHOME===============================================================================Once this is done I checked both setups by pinging them to ensure a connection.On Computer #1, go to the Command Prompt and enter the following.ping 192.168.0.50You will see the followingPinging 192.168.0.50 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.0.50:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms-----------------------------------------------------------------On Computer #2, go to the Command Prompt and enter the following.ping 192.168.0.40You will see the followingPinging 192.168.0.40 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.0.40:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0msThat Takes Care Of The Network====================================================Computer #1:------------1. Install your Flight SimulatorComputer #2:------------1. Install Activesky2. Install Radar Contact3. Install Flightsim Commander4. Install AdvDisp-------------------------------Place WideServer.dll and WideServer.ini in your Flight Simulator Modules directory.Place AdvDisplay.dll in your Flight Simulator Modules directory.===================================================================================Back to the network-------------------Make sure you are sharing the following directories1. Flight Simulator DirectoryExample: C:\Program Files\ Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 92. Flight simulator Application Data DirectoryExample: C:\Documents And Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FS93. Flight simulators Saved Flights DirectoryExample: C:\Documents And Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator Files=====================================================================Startup1. Start Flight Simulator (Computer #1)2. Start WideClient (Computer #2)3. Start Show Text (Computer #2)4. Start Activesky (Computer #2)5. Start Flightsim Commander (Computer #2)6. Start Radar Contact (Computer #2)Place Flightsim Commander and Radar Contact On A Second Monitor. Then use FSUIPC's Key Combo to close Radar Contact's Display on your Flight Simulator display.You should now be up and running on both computers.I hope this answers your question.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Hi,Not sure if you use all the programs I use, but this should get you setup with both computers.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike, I like that...thank you. I've got a couple of questions because I've never used WideFS before. Is it advantageous to use a crossover cable for the networking aspect of the setup? Did you try to do it via a lan connection also? The reason that I'm asking is that you might want to take your laptop with you when you go somewhere else and then would have to add another netowrk connection to the IP stack. It would be, however, pretty easy to disable and enable a particular network connection I suppose.Please advise and thanks!Mark

Mike, I like that...thank you. I've got a couple of questions because I've never used WideFS before. Is it advantageous to use a crossover cable for the networking aspect of the setup? Did you try to do it via a lan connection also? The reason that I'm asking is that you might want to take your laptop with you when you go somewhere else and then would have to add another netowrk connection to the IP stack. It would be, however, pretty easy to disable and enable a particular network connection I suppose.Please advise and thanks!Mark
Over the years, I've settled on a similar "direct" connection to the WideFS client machine. I use Vista's "Internet Connection Sharing" service on my WideFS server (FS9 machine) and a second ethernet port to direct connect to my WideFS client (older legacy WinXP laptop). Thus, I don't need a crossover cable. I've also connected via my LAN no problem, but since I usually keep the client adjacent with the server 24/7 anyway, I just go with a rock solid, direct connection. Also, if your server has extra processing power beyond that which is needed to run FS9 (not uncommon these days), the server will run two ethernet connections (Internet LAN + direct connection) plus FS9 without any noticeable performance penalty.

Hi,I run two desktop systems that are about six feet from one another, this hardware setup is not going to change any time soon. I decided on a crossover cable for a couple of reasons.1. I have two desktop computers, two wireless laptops, and my HP4700dn printer connected to my ADSL Gateway/Broadband Router2. I also have a ROKU Box installed that sends wireless signals from Netflix to my TV (watch Netflix instantly option).I noticed a degradation in signal quality on the ROKU box when I ran my Flightsim setup through the ADSL Gateway/Broadband Router, so I went the hard wire route (crossover cable) for my Flightsim setup. The direct connect setup between the two systems has been rock solid and the degradation in signal quality in regards to the ROKU box are gone.

Hi,My Flightsim computer is disassembled, I'm in the process of building a new I7 975 computer for Flightsim so I do not have FSUIPC 3.9.So, I'm not sure.

Both of you, great stuff! Thank you :(Advdisplay isn't needed anymore with FSUIPC 3.9, correct?

Mike,That is one real fine write up on how to network MSFS and WIDEFS (fsuipc).I am thinking about doing this for FS9 or FSX (not sure which yet) on a new Vista PC.How much performance improvement is there in terms of frames per second at busy airports when you get Activesky, FS Commander and other programs onto a second PC?

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

The performance gain depends on your system specs. The biggest plus is the fact this stuff runs on a separate computer, readily accessible while flying. I noticed performance gains immediately running Squawk Box 4, ASA, FSC, and AI Smooth over the network.

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Hi,This is what I did to get things setup on my computers.1. You need to have two computers networked. I did this by connecting both computers via a crossover cable.================================================Flight Sim Computer Ethernet Setup | COMPUTER #1================================================Internet Protocol TCP/IP------------------------IP Address: 192.168.0.40Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: I left This BlankDNS Server Addresses: I left Both Blank_________________________________________________________Now go to My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections1. Go to Advanced / Network Identification2. Computer Description = Flightsim3. Full Computer Name = System 14. Workgroup = MSHOME========================================================Flight Sim Add-ons Computer Ethernet Setup | COMPUTER #2========================================================Internet Protocol TCP/IP------------------------IP Address: 192.168.0.50Subset Mask: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: I left This BlankDNS Server Addresses: I left Both Blank_________________________________________________________Now go to My Computer, Control Panel, Network Connections1. Go to Advanced / Network Identification2. Computer Description = Flightsim3. Full Computer Name = System 24. Workgroup = MSHOME===============================================================================Once this is done I checked both setups by pinging them to ensure a connection.On Computer #1, go to the Command Prompt and enter the following.ping 192.168.0.50You will see the followingPinging 192.168.0.50 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.50: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.0.50:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms-----------------------------------------------------------------On Computer #2, go to the Command Prompt and enter the following.ping 192.168.0.40You will see the followingPinging 192.168.0.40 with 32 bytes of data:Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Reply from 192.168.0.40: bytes=32 time,1ms TTL=128Ping statistics for 192.168.0.40:Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 <0% loss),Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0msThat Takes Care Of The Network====================================================Computer #1:------------1. Install your Flight SimulatorComputer #2:------------1. Install Activesky2. Install Radar Contact3. Install Flightsim Commander4. Install AdvDisp-------------------------------Place WideServer.dll and WideServer.ini in your Flight Simulator Modules directory.Place AdvDisplay.dll in your Flight Simulator Modules directory.===================================================================================Back to the network-------------------Make sure you are sharing the following directories1. Flight Simulator DirectoryExample: C:Program Files Microsoft GamesFlight Simulator 92. Flight simulator Application Data DirectoryExample: C:Documents And SettingsAdministratorApplication DataMicrosoftFS93. Flight simulators Saved Flights DirectoryExample: C:Documents And SettingsAdministratorMy DocumentsFlight Simulator Files=====================================================================Startup1. Start Flight Simulator (Computer #1)2. Start WideClient (Computer #2)3. Start Show Text (Computer #2)4. Start Activesky (Computer #2)5. Start Flightsim Commander (Computer #2)6. Start Radar Contact (Computer #2)Place Flightsim Commander and Radar Contact On A Second Monitor. Then use FSUIPC's Key Combo to close Radar Contact's Display on your Flight Simulator display.You should now be up and running on both computers.I hope this answers your question.
Hello, I'm trying to do this with fsx and fscommander. I have 2 questions, first is it close to the same method if both computers are on wireless router, or connected via ethernet? And whats the fsx name for the #2 FS9 file that needs to be shared? I'm guessing its the location of the fsx.cfg file but am new to computer stuff. Thanks