Sign in to follow this  
Swoop

The Shift + E, 1 2 3 4 Any Standard Solution?

I let the cargo/hatch/utility door issues go a number of years ago. I didn't have the time to research it back then, but I have a bit now. So before I do any hard core research on this subject, I was hoping that someone has already broached this issue and has a solution for it. I read through Opa's Tricks and Tips and didn't see it anywhere, (hope I didn't miss it Opa!), and did a light and cursory search on the net. It's still seems a bit unclear but it appears that an aircraft's panel is sending data so quickly to the scancode interpreter, a normal human doesn't have enough time to press that old number 2, (after SHIFT + E), before the keyboard buffer fills up and is cleared. I'd like to be able to open cargo doors, (and other's as well). I've been doing so much bush flying I'm considering trying the FSCargo route, and its simply no fun at all when you're loading cargo into a hold with a closed door.If anyone knows of a fix for opening doors and hatches, please feel free to chime in. Oh, if you've resolved this years ago then forgive my ignorance...and please feel free to yell :)Mark

I let the cargo/hatch/utility door issues go a number of years ago. I didn't have the time to research it back then, but I have a bit now. So before I do any hard core research on this subject, I was hoping that someone has already broached this issue and has a solution for it. I read through Opa's Tricks and Tips and didn't see it anywhere, (hope I didn't miss it Opa!), and did a light and cursory search on the net. It's still seems a bit unclear but it appears that an aircraft's panel is sending data so quickly to the scancode interpreter, a normal human doesn't have enough time to press that old number 2, (after SHIFT + E), before the keyboard buffer fills up and is cleared. I'd like to be able to open cargo doors, (and other's as well). I've been doing so much bush flying I'm considering trying the FSCargo route, and its simply no fun at all when you're loading cargo into a hold with a closed door.If anyone knows of a fix for opening doors and hatches, please feel free to chime in. Oh, if you've resolved this years ago then forgive my ignorance...and please feel free to yell :)Mark
Rob Baren (can't remember how to spell his last name) has a great and simple solution in the form of a small invisible gauge you add which provides a longer time for you to make the required key presses. Works great.It can be found at Flightsim.comFS2004 Gauges--Selection Correction Gauge[ Download | View ] Name: rcbse-10.zip Size: 6,556 Date: 07-04-2005 Downloads: 1,540 rcbse-10.gif FS2004 Gauges--Selection Correction Gauge. Does one of these problems sound familar? 1. In my multi-engine aircraft, suddenly the throttle controller only works for engine 1. 2. In an aircraft that has an Exit-2, Exit-2 cannot be closed/opened by typing (default keys) the key sequence Shift-E 2 (instead Exit-1 opens/closes). If so, adding this invisible gauge to your panel should solve these problems. Easy to install, and fully documented. By Rob Barendregt.BTW - this was reviewed in Tips and Tricks - issue 14.

If anyone knows of a fix for opening doors and hatches, please feel free to chime in. Oh, if you've resolved this years ago then forgive my ignorance...and please feel free to yell :)Mark
The simple solution is to re-assign a single keystroke to the Door function instead of a double keystroke. I use the comma "," instead of "Shift-E", and have never had a problem.

Graeme Butler

Rob Baren (can't remember how to spell his last name) has a great and simple solution in the form of a small invisible gauge you add which provides a longer time for you to make the required key presses. Works great.It can be found at Flightsim.comFS2004 Gauges--Selection Correction Gauge[ Download | View ] Name: rcbse-10.zip Size: 6,556 Date: 07-04-2005 Downloads: 1,540 rcbse-10.gif FS2004 Gauges--Selection Correction Gauge. Does one of these problems sound familar? 1. In my multi-engine aircraft, suddenly the throttle controller only works for engine 1. 2. In an aircraft that has an Exit-2, Exit-2 cannot be closed/opened by typing (default keys) the key sequence Shift-E 2 (instead Exit-1 opens/closes). If so, adding this invisible gauge to your panel should solve these problems. Easy to install, and fully documented. By Rob Barendregt.BTW - this was reviewed in Tips and Tricks - issue 14.
Ah...thanks Opa...I did miss it then! I figured that you would have looked at this already. I did a "find in files" search for "SHIFT + E", not "SHIFT-E" before I went to bed at 6am this morning :)Mark

The simple solution is to re-assign a single keystroke to the Door function instead of a double keystroke. I use the comma "," instead of "Shift-E", and have never had a problem.
Thank you Graeme! So did you do the assignment 4 times...comma + 1 to comma...n? If you know how to pull the 4 assignments out of your FS9.cfg file, maybe you could post it here so it goes into the world wide FS9 knowledge base :)Mark

Thanks Graeme...that works great! In case anyone wants to do this on the fly, (that is), assign the comma to open 4 of the exits/cargo hatches on your aircraft. You could simply change the TOGGLE_AIRCRAFT_EXIT assignment (as listed below), to the [KEYBOARD_MAIN] section of the FS9.cfg file. Then all you'd have to do is press comma + 1, comma + 2, comma + 3, or comma + 4 to open the doors of your aircraft. I realize that this sounds basic to many of you but it's not that clearly defined by a quick search.[KEYBOARD_MAIN]TOGGLE_AIRCRAFT_EXIT=188,8Mark

Ive never had a problem with opening doors, yet sometimes miss on the push back and turn...how do i reassign those keys?

Ive never had a problem with opening doors, yet sometimes miss on the push back and turn...how do i reassign those keys?
Try the Settings/Assignments dialogue - Pushback is toggled by Shifted P.If I remember correctly, the use of the keyboard numbers 1 and 2 for making the turn (right or left) only works after the aircraft has cleared the radius of the parking space.Hope that helps.

All of these suggestions are really only "bandaids" that work around the real problem, which is simply that of a "runaway race issue," the proximate cause of which is a poorly designed gauge or gauges.A "runaway race issue" occurs when sloppy coding transmits a continuous command sequence (aka: key event), rather than providing a flag variable to ensure the command is only sent once, or at least only sent when actually needed.Selectable command events such as door opening, engine controls selection, etc. require two consecutive key events: (1) open door immediately followed by (2) a number.Once any Select key event is sent, the sim will wait ~2 seconds for part (2) to be transmitted. If any key is pressed that is not one of the top keyboard row numbers (1, 2, 3 or 4), or is another key event, the sim will ignore the initial command.The keyboard scan rate is 18 times/second, so if sloppy coding is causing a key event to be continuously transmitted, there is simply no opportunity for any other key event to be sent!If the gauge set is XML script, then there is a possibility that the "guilty gauge" can be identified and fixed. If the "guilty code" is compiled into the actual model itself, then only one with the original source file (.max, .gmax, or .fsc) can fix the problem.If the "guilty gauge" has been coded in compiled C (.gau or .dll) file, then only the original programmer can fix the problem.That is precisely why Pete's added the "Fix Control Acceleration" option to a registered copy of his FSUIPC program. Pete has added a "brute force method" to intercept the keyboard scan, and will stop the "continuous key event stream" for several seconds, while waiting to receive a 1, 2, 3 or 4 key event.Rob has provided an XML "fix" that does pretty much the same thing as Pete's solution.I hope I haven't bored anyone with this rather detailed and technical description of the real problem... :)

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Ah, the gauge master finally decides to let us have the sight :) That's some interesting reading...I enjoyed it at least. It was what I kind of expected and at least am now sure I don't have to re-invent the wheel. Thanks n4...Mark