Sign in to follow this  
arvidlille

Really strange problem

Hi all!I`ve got a really strange problem with my sim. I have a dedicated flightsim PC with XP on C-disk and FS2004 on D-disk with a lot of addons. In addition I have a Acronis image of that setup on an external disk (just in case scr.. up). I fly around with very high and smooth FPS (50-60) with slider locked at unlimited. I also do regular defrag using UD 2008.The problem I have is when I move the mouse (cursor comes visible) in 3d cockpit, the FPS drops and stutter occurs while the cursor is visible. When i dont touch it, it stays normal high and smooth. It occurs only in 3d cockpit with aircraft like wilco 737, pmdg 737 and 747. Not on small aircrafts or default ones. I is quite annoying.Regarding troubleshooting, I have disconnected my cordless mouse and keyboard. Tried with a cord mouse (after cleaned up the drivers), but with same annoying stutter when moving the mouse in 3d cockpit. Also I have tried the mouse options in the control panel, but with same result.Anyone who have the slightest clue what can cause this? A r v i dMy setup is:CPU - E6850 3,8 GHz (OC)GPU - XFX 8800GTXMem - 4 Gb (3,25 utilized)OS disk - 75 Gb raptorFS disk - 150 Gb spinpoint

Have you updated your video drivers? And why don't you try deleting fs9.cfg so FS makes a new one just after updating drivers? Maybe your problem arises only with demanding aircraft as the PMDG ones, because the default ones do not demand so much computer resources. Hope this helps.Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Have you updated your video drivers? And why don't you try deleting fs9.cfg so FS makes a new one just after updating drivers? Maybe your problem arises only with demanding aircraft as the PMDG ones, because the default ones do not demand so much computer resources. Hope this helps.Best regards from Colombia,Luis Miguel
HiThanks for your reply. Tried that as well, but no good. Tried with new and older Nvidia drivers, but still the same stuttering when moving my mouse cursor in 3d cockpit. mmmmmm strange stuff :( A r v i d

Guest napamule

You say you unplugged your wireless keyboard and mouse. Did you shut down PC before pluggin in corded mouse? Or at least do a PC restart? The mouse is an OS problem, and not a FS9 problem. And after changing drivers you SHOULD do a restart of PC. FS9 just tries to work with what your OS 'hands in' for a mouse (cursor and all). Simple maybe? But hard to find 'root' cause. I myself would shut down PC. Resart PC. Shut down PC (again). Then plug in mouse (even if it's USP type). Then see if Win's automatically installs XP (or Vista) drivers (ie: 'found new hardware'). You might hear a 'bong' sound. I also NEVER use drivers from the Mouse CD as they are not (usually) as 'up to date' as the mouse drivers included with OS. If THEY (OS) don't work, then I visit mouse site and download latest, but I never had to do that with USP mice (meeces?). Just some thoughts (2 cents worth).Chuck BNapamule

Hey Arvid...don't know if this will help but what mouse are you using? If it's a Microsoft mouse, then there's a good chance that you have a program running in the background that you might not need. Microsoft installs a mouse manager program named iPoint.exe for their mouse and if you're using one of their keyboards, they install a keyboard manager program named iType.exe.I used both of these programs for about 1 minute to configure what I needed and then never used them again. So instead of having them run in the background wasting CPU cycles, I removed them. I haven't experienced any ill effects from this and it's been a few years. The one thing that you won't get without the management programs loaded is the amount of battery life you have left in the devices. So if you don't run them and say your mouse stops working...don't think it's broken, just replace the batteries :)You might also check the other programs and services that you have running in the background and remove any of them that aren't needed. There's a pretty straight forward utility named msconfig.exe which will show you the services and applications you have running on your system. Take a look and maybe you'll see something that you know you're either not using or simply don't need. So do a little system house keeping and see if that helps.Mark

You say you unplugged your wireless keyboard and mouse. Did you shut down PC before pluggin in corded mouse? Or at least do a PC restart? The mouse is an OS problem, and not a FS9 problem. And after changing drivers you SHOULD do a restart of PC. FS9 just tries to work with what your OS 'hands in' for a mouse (cursor and all). Simple maybe? But hard to find 'root' cause. I myself would shut down PC. Resart PC. Shut down PC (again). Then plug in mouse (even if it's USP type). Then see if Win's automatically installs XP (or Vista) drivers (ie: 'found new hardware'). You might hear a 'bong' sound. I also NEVER use drivers from the Mouse CD as they are not (usually) as 'up to date' as the mouse drivers included with OS. If THEY (OS) don't work, then I visit mouse site and download latest, but I never had to do that with USP mice (meeces?). Just some thoughts (2 cents worth).Chuck BNapamule
Thank for your reply. Yes, I have tried that as well, but no good. Strange really, because I have such a smooth sim otherwise, but when using 3d cockpit (as I always do due to track IR), i run into stuttering when moving the mouse around. When the mouse cursor disappear after a few seconds (normal), the stutter is gone as well. I guess there will be some more troubleshooting tonight :( A r v i d

Hey Arvid...don't know if this will help but what mouse are you using? If it's a Microsoft mouse, then there's a good chance that you have a program running in the background that you might not need. Microsoft installs a mouse manager program named iPoint.exe for their mouse and if you're using one of their keyboards, they install a keyboard manager program named iType.exe.I used both of these programs for about 1 minute to configure what I needed and then never used them again. So instead of having them run in the background wasting CPU cycles, I removed them. I haven't experienced any ill effects from this and it's been a few years. The one thing that you won't get without the management programs loaded is the amount of battery life you have left in the devices. So if you don't run them and say your mouse stops working...don't think it's broken, just replace the batteries :)You might also check the other programs and services that you have running in the background and remove any of them that aren't needed. There's a pretty straight forward utility named msconfig.exe which will show you the services and applications you have running on your system. Take a look and maybe you'll see something that you know you're either not using or simply don't need. So do a little system house keeping and see if that helps.Mark
Thanks for your reply Mark!Tried your tips, but same issue occurs. Have a minimal of services running on my flightsim rig (only 19). Did a full reformat on both disk, and installed a clean XP. From there i took a FS9 install and installed both PMDG and Wilco 737`s, and then started up on default Seattle. Same issue here as well. Smooth running FPS, but when I`m in 3d cockpit and hit the mouse, the quite annoyng stuttering occurs. This tells me there must be something weird with my hardware. The only thing I havent tried though, is a PS2 mouse. Tried different cord/cordless USB mouses, but no luck. Maybe I must check my eyes as well :( I have put back my image-file now, and I will try some further troubleshooting tonight :( A r v i d

Man, all this time I've tried to figure out when my FPS keeps dropping at strange times when normally my fps is quite high (50s like yours). After I read your post, I tried it...same thing happens! Please share your trouble shooting and discovers here as soon as you get them..I will do the same. Also, if anyone else has any insight, due share. fyi my system is..E8500 at 3.7512Mb 8800gts (updated drivers)2 gigs memoryXP ProG5 wired USB optical mousex52 Saitek HOTASHope we can find a reason for this.To update..the same FPS drop occurs when closing the ATC window, regardless if the mouse cursor is visible or not...in the particular case i tested (DreamFleet Baron at MYNN add-on senery), normal fps unlocked was 52-60, when either closing the ATC window or making the mouse visible, fps drops to 40-41 for a few seconds after closing ATC window or until mouse disappears. All of this is in VC

I feel your pain. I've had the exact same problem for a long while. If you use the search function, I bet you'll find my post (with the typical non-working forum suggestions). I wonder what we have in common that causes this. We should post and compare our systems, and I bet we'll find the culprit.I should note, the problem is very apparent when in the VC, as stated above. But if you open a 2d panel, the fmc for instance, and hover your mouse over any portion of the 2Ds' window, Fps is restored.I am also using the Saitek X52 with the latest divers/software (the problem has persisted through all releases[i have an early X52]). This joystick seems to really hate my Logitech cordless LX7. When it's connected (more so lately) I find mouse control difficult and sometimes impossible. ie. Sticking (not physically) left and right mouse buttons and intermittent mouse tracking.MODS: Maybe we can move this thing to the hardware section (general) to get some techies' insight? This is a problem that's plagued me.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Man, all this time I've tried to figure out when my FPS keeps dropping at strange times when normally my fps is quite high (50s like yours). After I read your post, I tried it...same thing happens! Please share your trouble shooting and discovers here as soon as you get them..I will do the same. Also, if anyone else has any insight, due share. fyi my system is..E8500 at 3.7512Mb 8800gts (updated drivers)2 gigs memoryXP ProG5 wired USB optical mousex52 Saitek HOTASHope we can find a reason for this.To update..the same FPS drop occurs when closing the ATC window, regardless if the mouse cursor is visible or not...in the particular case i tested (DreamFleet Baron at MYNN add-on senery), normal fps unlocked was 52-60, when either closing the ATC window or making the mouse visible, fps drops to 40-41 for a few seconds after closing ATC window or until mouse disappears. All of this is in VC
Ok, I see. I suspect that many simmers have this issue as well, but they just dont know about it. It comes clearly visible when you have a supersmooth system. The reason that I have the FPS slider at unlocked is for the track IR smoothness, as i almost always uses 3d cockpit. I will try some more troubleshooting regarding this issue in a few hours, so we`ll see :( A r v i d

Zach, you haven't fixed your problem? Do you remember if you had this problem on older systems? Post what you got now.I also use TrackIR but tend to lock fps around 40 or so due to ground blurries at unlocked, to this problem is only noticable when FPS would drop below 40 (PMDG in NYC, etc)...but I do get stutters a lot even with FPS not moving from 40 and I suspect is the same problem. This only occurs when your system is getting worked almost to the max..so if anyone can help out...try it on your systems and see if it affects you too, and post what you're running in terms of computer hardware.

Zach, you haven't fixed your problem? Do you remember if you had this problem on older systems? Post what you got now.I also use TrackIR but tend to lock fps around 40 or so due to ground blurries at unlocked, to this problem is only noticable when FPS would drop below 40 (PMDG in NYC, etc)...but I do get stutters a lot even with FPS not moving from 40 and I suspect is the same problem. This only occurs when your system is getting worked almost to the max..so if anyone can help out...try it on your systems and see if it affects you too, and post what you're running in terms of computer hardware.
I'm using Trackir5 as well, but the problem existed before I used this hardware. You've got my system specs in my signature, as well as my controller hardware in my last post, let's start there. In the next bit I'll post my in depth system specs.I should note, this problem has persisted through a few different video cards: The old ATI X600, ATI 9800 Pro, NVIDIA 8500GT, and my current 9800GT.It's also made it's self through a reformat and every driver combination possible.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Arvid, are you using the X52 by any chance? Although I have tried this with the X52 disconnected...but maybe its a driver conflict.Zach, are you using nhancer? Any particular settings through that?Have you noticed anything similar in any others games or just fs9? (FSX?)Edit : I've tried an old P/S mouse..same thing.A quick 'fix' i figured out now is open up a 2d panel...make it as small as possible, drag it over to the top corner and leave your mouse there when not in use...opening up the atc window no longer causes fps drops and the fps comes back quicker when the mouse is moved.Is there any way to decrease the amount of time it takes the mouse to disappear? That would make this problem much better.

Arvid, are you using the X52 by any chance? Although I have tried this with the X52 disconnected...but maybe its a driver conflict.Zach, are you using nhancer? Any particular settings through that?Have you noticed anything similar in any others games or just fs9? (FSX?)Edit : I've tried an old P/S mouse..same thing.A quick 'fix' i figured out now is open up a 2d panel...make it as small as possible, drag it over to the top corner and leave your mouse there when not in use...opening up the atc window no longer causes fps drops and the fps comes back quicker when the mouse is moved.Is there any way to decrease the amount of time it takes the mouse to disappear? That would make this problem much better.
I also get this stutter when I`m in 3d cockpit in aircrafts like wilco and pmdg, and when I`m near airports. When at 30000 feet it`s not noticeable when I`m panning around the cockpit. I`m not using any Saitek hardware, only CH. Tried a little program called "USBRate.exe" (USB sample rate application) to check and change the polling rate. Default is 125, but i tried both 250 and 500 with no result regarding our issues.