Sign in to follow this  
Abrupto

Problem with Glide Slope

Hello!I'm 10NM away from CYVR 26L in the default FSX 737-800 preparing to autoland. I have the VOR locked and I'm beggining to descent on the GS. More or less at 5 NM without any apparent reason the throttle increase thrust and the plane all off a sudden climbs and goes up the GS. I need to do a missed approach. What could be happening? I'm lost, please help,RegardsAbrupto

In order to get the autopilot to follow the glideslope down to the threshold of the runway you need to have the ILS frequency dialled into your NAV 1 radio. The ILS frequency for 26L at CYVR is 110.7 and the runway heading is 261. You can find this information on the FS map or the GPS can provide you with it. The VOR frequency will give you guidance to the airport but it won't give you any indication of the glideslope.I hope this helps.

Mike Beckwith

In order to get the autopilot to follow the glideslope down to the threshold of the runway you need to have the ILS frequency dialled into your NAV 1 radio. The ILS frequency for 26L at CYVR is 110.7 and the runway heading is 261. You can find this information on the FS map or the GPS can provide you with it. The VOR frequency will give you guidance to the airport but it won't give you any indication of the glideslope.I hope this helps.
Tanks for your help, but the frequency is dialed in NAV1. The problem happens just in the moment the GS is captured.Abrupto

Guest my737sim
Tanks for your help, but the frequency is dialed in NAV1. The problem happens just in the moment the GS is captured.Abrupto
I have this same issue. I've tried to go from KLAX to KRIV, which is a short hop test. Runway 32 is ILS, using 110.10 if I recall correctly. I capture the localizer and press VOR LOC on my MCP. It turns and gets me lined up. I see the pink diamond appear near the top, it's filled, and I press APP on my MCP.I start to descend and then just a few miles out throttle goes way up, and the plane climbs about 2k feet higher then I was, and I completely do not land.I'm stumped.Turn off A/T???? What could be the issue?Mattwww.my737sim.com

Auto Throttle and Auto Pilot should be disconnected on DH. Please make sure, You have Nav/GPS switch in Nav mode.

Guest my737sim
Auto Throttle and Auto Pilot should be disconnected on DH. Please make sure, You have Nav/GPS switch in Nav mode.
I fly a 737 so I never, ever, use the GPS heh. Only my CDU and my nav radios, so yeah its aways nav. I don't use panels either, since I have my simulator.Here's what is interesting though, in my case I'm using the full project magenta software, and have a goflight mcp pro. But as a test, within FSX itself, using the same procedure, leaving A/T and the AP on, it'll land by itself (With the exception of course, that you have to disengage the AP right before you manually flare, so not a true "auto land")But, within my setup, I get this crazy fly over the runway scenario... I'm wondering if something is going on in the CDU/PM software...I'm going to also try to rule out that it's VoxATC. I'm going to do the same flight (now) using the built in ATC just to see what happens.Matthttp://www.my737sim.com

Guest PPSFA
Hello!I'm 10NM away from CYVR 26L in the default FSX 737-800 preparing to autoland. I have the VOR locked and I'm beggining to descent on the GS. More or less at 5 NM without any apparent reason the throttle increase thrust and the plane all off a sudden climbs and goes up the GS. I need to do a missed approach. What could be happening? I'm lost, please help,RegardsAbrupto
I just flew the 26L ILS approach in the default 737 and it flew it perfectly.Nav1 set to 110.70 ActiveInbound course 262 magSpeed 146kts IASGPS/NAV switch to NAVAltitude 3000ftAT set to SPEEDAP set to CMD AGPS set to 26L just for visual referenceI took off from rny 08, climbed to 3000ft and flew outbound about 10 miles. Turned inbound to intercept the ILS and slowed to approach speed. It showed me below the GS as it should. As soon as the LOC needle started to move I pressed the APP button and the plane captured the LOC. Since I was outside the OM, it didnt capture the GS until I was a few miles outside the OM, but when it did capture, it flew the ILS exactly on course and on GS.Sounds like maybe your plane has decided for some reason to start a mised approach early, other than that I don have a clue.Hope this helps.

Guest my737sim
I just flew the 26L ILS approach in the default 737 and it flew it perfectly.Nav1 set to 110.70 ActiveInbound course 262 magSpeed 146kts IASGPS/NAV switch to NAVAltitude 3000ftAT set to SPEEDAP set to CMD AGPS set to 26L just for visual referenceI took off from rny 08, climbed to 3000ft and flew outbound about 10 miles. Turned inbound to intercept the ILS and slowed to approach speed. It showed me below the GS as it should. As soon as the LOC needle started to move I pressed the APP button and the plane captured the LOC. Since I was outside the OM, it didnt capture the GS until I was a few miles outside the OM, but when it did capture, it flew the ILS exactly on course and on GS.Sounds like maybe your plane has decided for some reason to start a mised approach early, other than that I don have a clue.Hope this helps.
So i just tried this myself and am running into problems. Actually, I went to map... and set myself 15 NM out at 3k feet going 165knots. Around 12NM (I'm not 100% certain how far I was out) I picked up the localizer... vs before of pressing VOR LOC... I pressed APP. So it stayed aligned and straight. Finally the pink diamond in my project magenta PFD went solid purple and it started to drop below 3k feet. Then around 10NM out, I went completely above the g/s, and stayed at around 3600 feet and flew right over the airport.I just don't get it why this is happening.NAV/GPS switch is always set to NAV, I don't use GPS.110.70 was set.I have a GoFlight MCP PRO that is set to use Project Magenta. The PM MCP is open, as is the CDU and the pfd nd/eicas/fo pfd ndSomething is throwing my g/s off but darn it, what!Mattwww.my737sim.com

Guest Cessna162

I don't know with you guys, but I'm doing fine.. :( My normal procedures are 160knts on 10nm approach(depending on your weight of course) if your full with gas use 180knts once closing in on the g/s i put flaps to 2degrees and maintain 145knts, once the vertical diamond on my PFD moves when closing in the g/s I turn on APP hold and wait until it reaches the middle. After intercepting the g/s, gear down, flaps 15 and slowly adding 2 degrees of flaps slowly. Once on 2nm final, I turn off the speed hold and just keep it that way without touching my throttle axis..after passing minimums i turn off the autopilot and flare. Safe Landing!Well, of course, this is my way of doing it :D if you think i'm wrong in some points, I would like to hear it!Hope this helps a little bit-Immanuel

So i just tried this myself and am running into problems. Actually, I went to map... and set myself 15 NM out at 3k feet going 165knots. Around 12NM (I'm not 100% certain how far I was out) I picked up the localizer... vs before of pressing VOR LOC... I pressed APP. So it stayed aligned and straight. Finally the pink diamond in my project magenta PFD went solid purple and it started to drop below 3k feet. Then around 10NM out, I went completely above the g/s, and stayed at around 3600 feet and flew right over the airport.I just don't get it why this is happening.NAV/GPS switch is always set to NAV, I don't use GPS.110.70 was set.I have a GoFlight MCP PRO that is set to use Project Magenta. The PM MCP is open, as is the CDU and the pfd nd/eicas/fo pfd ndSomething is throwing my g/s off but darn it, what!Mattwww.my737sim.com
Matt, it appears that you are activating the ILS approach on the autopilot before both LOC and GS indicators are active. I'm guessing a bit because I do not have the same hardware and software that you list. I have found that consistent results can be had by waiting until both LOC bar and GS diamond are solid, then select APP (or APR or whatever activates the ILS approach on the autopilot of choice). If the LOC is grabbed before the GS diamond is active, anything can happen I've found. The procedures used by others here seem to agree with my suggestion -- they wait for both LOC and GS signals to be active then select APP.Rick

Guest my737sim
Matt, it appears that you are activating the ILS approach on the autopilot before both LOC and GS indicators are active. I'm guessing a bit because I do not have the same hardware and software that you list. I have found that consistent results can be had by waiting until both LOC bar and GS diamond are solid, then select APP (or APR or whatever activates the ILS approach on the autopilot of choice). If the LOC is grabbed before the GS diamond is active, anything can happen I've found. The procedures used by others here seem to agree with my suggestion -- they wait for both LOC and GS signals to be active then select APP.Rick
Hi Rick,I've tried both ways, using VOR LOC to track the localizer and then once the g/s becomes active (pink diamond) and begins to fall, pressing APP. I've also pressed APP with just the localizer alive. (As mentioned by PPSFA above) Getting the same results.I emailed Project Magenta, Jonathan recommended I try using their software MCP and unplug the GoFlight MCP, in belief that the hardware MCP might be doing something. I'm going to try that today and will post back my results.Matthttp://www.my737sim.com

Ok, I have a sure fire way to make sure you intercept the GS every time unless there is something wrong with the airport. I really wish I could find the last time I posted this. This may not suit your flying style but hey, any landing is a good landing:)I use FS flight plans, FS ATC and the FS GPS for "navigation".Assumption: You are following FS ATC and NAV1 is set to GPS, ALT set is set to what ATC asks.When ATC asks you to turn to XXX, descend to FLXXX and expect vectors to ILS RWYXX. Enter the frequency for the runway in to nav1 radio. Go to your GPS, hit program, choose approach/vectors/activate approach. Since you are now in heading mode (ATC asked you to turn to XXX heading), the approach will not be activated until you switch back to NAV. Continue to follow their instructions until the say something like this."You are cleared to land on Rwy26L, turn XXX, descend to XXXX and contact KXXX tower on XX.XXX." You should be pretty low at this point and ATC will tell you descend to about 1800 FT above sea level. If you are higher than that, you may have trouble intercepting the glide slope. You want to intercept it from the bottom. Anyway, at this point, Descend to the altitude ATC says, tune COM1 for the tower and hit NAV (switching from heading mode). The GPS will line you up with the runway. Once you are lined up, switch APP mode, switch switch the nav1 from GPS to NAV, make sure yaw damper is off, and ALT is still set according to ATC instructions. Begin to slow the aircraft to 140kts (or whatever is appropriate for the aircraft/weight) and drop flaps and gears. Once you see the arrow move below the horizon, the aircraft should begin to descend and the ALT hold should shut off. You should now be following the GS and you shouldn't have problems. If ALT hold doesn't shut off, something is wrong. Kill AP at 200ft and AT at the RWY threshold. Flare at 50ft.In short, this is what you need to intercept the GS under most conditionsALT Hold at about 1800ft above sea levelAPP setNAV1 set to NAV, not GPSYaw Damper offAll of this needs to happen before you intercept the GS. If following the GPS approach, you should have plenty of time to set this up after you are wings level and lined up with the RWY. One thing to look for, make sure you are not hitting take off go around just before landing. If you are not, perhaps it is programed to a key your are not aware of.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Guest my737sim

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately for me this isn't the case, I fly a 737-800, there is no GPS so I don't use GPS heh.My problem isn't that I don't intercept the g/s... I do, ever time. I get established on the localizer, press VOR LOC. I fly straight in, eventually the g/s comes alive, (solid pink diamond near the top, thus, I'm getting it below the g/s per FSX's rules) and I press APP. I start to decend.Sometimes I fly right in, then turn off the AP about 200 ft above and flare. (Because the 737-800 doesn't truly auto land) But sometimes out of the blue, I'll be heading down and then all of a sudden climb to about 4k feet and just fly over the airport.Same procedure, same airports, everytime.I just don't get it.I'll have to test this further. I initially thought it was VoxATC vectoring me in too close to the airport. Usually about 10NM is where I end up. I noticed in some tests that 15NM to start way on the OM was the better way to do it.But that theory was busted when I tried a KLAX to KRIV flight just to test. It flight right down to the runway.I tried another test, KOAK to KSFO. Now, that is super unrealistic, they are just across the water. But I wanted to see. In that case, I got the loc and the g/s and then same thing, up and over the airport. So maybe if it's too close start to destination it's an issue?I don't know again, lots more testing has to be done to figure this out for my scenario. I'm going to try SFO 19L again, but from an airport farther away and see what I get.Mattwww.my737sim.com

Thanks for the post. Unfortunately for me this isn't the case, I fly a 737-800, there is no GPS so I don't use GPS heh.
You keep saying this, but may not realize that as far as the sim is concerned, an FMS/FMC and GPS are equivalent...If you have been using the FMS/FMC to follow a flightplan, you must ensure that NAV1 is your selected mode prior to attempting any localizer or ILS approach.On the other hand, you've stated:
But as a test, within FSX itself, using the same procedure, leaving A/T and the AP on, it'll land by itself (With the exception of course, that you have to disengage the AP right before you manually flare, so not a true "auto land")But, within my setup, I get this crazy fly over the runway scenario... I'm wondering if something is going on in the CDU/PM software...
It would appear that if the default aircraft and autopilot work correctly, it can only be your external source that is at fault... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator