Sign in to follow this  
downscc

PMDG J41 Stop Latches

Thank you Dan for taking the time to explain this.Really looking forward to this plane. Very impressed with what you folks have done, and I have not yet really seen all...Looking forward to reading the manuals and really looking forward to the maiden flight (for me) to the Aleutians.No, I am not excited at all.

Chad, may I ask you why that destination? Is it a real life destination or is it just where you live...?

Chad, may I ask you why that destination? Is it a real life destination or is it just where you live...?
Thanks for asking. I lived and served out there for several years and have many wonderful memories. Plus, the weather is crap most of the time, which makes for some...well...fun times.Scary times for some.I live on the mainland now.

Ok, never ever flown to that area but I looked it up in wikipedia and will do for sure now! Looks very nice environment to me, but the weather conditions are maybe not too good for a maiden flight :(

Well, I hear ya Pieter. Not for everyone on an initial flight I guess. I love flying up here for real and virtually. This "kid" has lived up here (Alaska) all my life, flown out there many times and don't think about it really, other than being aware of some of the potential hazards.If you want a bit of a challenge, fly in to Dutch. That'll make ya pucker a wee bit.Cold Bay has about a 14 thousand some odd foot runway (US space shuttle alternate landing) and Adak has a large runway also. Much easier to manage.I am flying (maiden) from PANC (Anchorage) to PACD (Cold Bay) then PADU (Dutch Harbor/Unalaska). Back (in direction) to PASD (Sand Point) then PAKN (King Salmon). Back to PANC.I am itching to get this show on the road.

Well, last thing about this because it's completely off topic, but coming from The Netherlands I was triggered by the name Dutch Harbor. Wikipedia: "Dutch Harbor was so named by the Russians because they believed that a Dutch vessel was the first European ship to enter the harbor." Funny connection. As a patriottic :( Dutch man I will fly to that airport for sure :(

Guest 747-fan

Have you guys tried firing up FSX like this: Select"Free flight" and departure field and time using the default Trike or Cessna. Then you shut the default aircraft down completely, battery, mags, avionics, fuel cutoff. Then select the J41.Would that too make it "cold and dark"? That seems to work for most advanced addons.And the pictures are great! That looks like some kind of prototype paint. Very cool.

If you try that technique with the JS4100, there's no guarantee that she will be on the start locks when you load the flight. Best to create the layover scenario yourself.

Dan Downs KCRP

If you try that technique with the JS4100, there's no guarantee that she will be on the start locks when you load the flight. Best to create the layover scenario yourself.
Dan, Didn't you make some reference in a different thread to being able to use a prop lever (if yuo have one on your yoke) for this little feature? Maybe I'm remembering it incorrectly.

The thing is that if you use that "create cold and dark" technique for saving your startup flight, you may not get the props on the start latches when you initialize the J41. As Dan says, you're far better off creating a saved "cold & dark" situation by loading the Cessna running, switching to the J41 while it's running, then properly shutting the J41 down and saving the situation that way. The J41 doesn't have a "Saved Panel State" utility, but when you save a situation, all of your switches positions and states will be saved. This is a handy thing, since you can save a situation on the active runway where the plane is ready for immediate takeoff, or as we've said, in a cold and dark state...or anything in between.Also, Doug, some of the guys were able to get their throttle quadrants to work by setting one power lever to effectively "press" the F2 key when it's pulled aft of the idle detent. I never got that to work, but the technique of "grabbing" each throttle independently with the mouse and pulling it back into beta to come off the start latches works very well.

Best Regards,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

Pinner, Middx, UK

Beta tester for PMDG J41, NGX, and GFO, Flight1 Super King Air B200, Flight1 Cessna Citation Mustang, Flight1 Cessna 182, Flight1 Cessna 177B, Aeroworx B200

I don't know what the O key does, but it sounds like it's the same as what Dan mentioned about the oil pump (Unfeather) switch. Very simple to use, but if you don't start the engine quickly enough (I think you get a minute or so), the props will feather again. If you're anything like me you will end up using that switch more than you would like to. :(
Ah I misread that initially, I thought you'd have to hook up some special aux pump to get them back to the proper spot, more simple than I thought.Either way I'm greatly looking forward to this release. Finally a PMDG plane for the type of flights I fly :)

Guest 747-fan

Where exactly can I find the shutdown and startup procedures? The checklists jump from before "engine start" to after "engine start" and the shutdown procedure is nowhere to be found. Are there no checklists for these procedures?

If you look in the tutorial - it is near the end. But there really is no procedure, just push the STOP buttons and put the throttles into reverse as the RPMs come through 50% to engage the Start Locks.