Sign in to follow this  
pellebus

Maddog 2008 pro.

Relative to Coolsky, I believe Coolsky is FSX only??? Whereas, Maddog is FS9 native and can be easily installed/ported to FSX.Colonel (ret) Rich Perry, USAFi7 965 Extreme Quad oc'd to 3.8GhzNvidia GTX 285 (2GB GPU)6GB OCZ DDR 3 1800MhzRaptor 10000rpm HDSB X-Fi ExtremeDell 24" 1920x1200Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
Hey Rich I'm former Navy great to have you around. Have you dived into the Falcon 4 community yet??? Anyway Coolsky released a previous MD-80 aircraft that was FS9 only. That's the one we are referring to... The FS9 version was pretty good that had interactive tool tips that was unique and very practical. I agree as well the Maddog 2008 bird is great I just have to learn out to operate it (find the time)...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I just have to learn out to operate it (find the time)...
Once you do, Les, you won't want to fly anything else. I must have gone mad but I stopped missing other addon planes as well as checking the progress of not yet released.LOL, I really went mad(dog). :( maddoginBergenS.jpg

Guest 747-fan

Please don't tell me that this is anywhere near PMDG quality:2009914221856579.jpgIt used to be state of the art back in 2006 and FS9. It's somewhere near the quality of the FS9 PMDG 737, but nowhere near their 747, MD-11 or JS41. But as all others have said, it truly is the best MD80 simulation available, and this comes from a self-confessed VC junkie. The coolsky has an even worse VC, and apart from the training module it's also very basic system simulation compared to the Leonardo Maddog.

I was looking on Youtube for tutorials for the Maddog 2008 package with great success (I think I got this thing licked now) but I had to comment on the FSX videos out there. Have a look at this:

It's amazing people are trying to fly with these kinds of framerates. It's almost laughable to look at...

FS2020 

Yeah, I'll buy this plane once I know I can study it. I still have a list of approximately 7 aircraft that I want to learn to fly...

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Please don't tell me that this is anywhere near PMDG quality:It used to be state of the art back in 2006 and FS9. It's somewhere near the quality of the FS9 PMDG 737, but nowhere near their 747, MD-11 or JS41. But as all others have said, it truly is the best MD80 simulation available, and this comes from a self-confessed VC junkie. The coolsky has an even worse VC, and apart from the training module it's also very basic system simulation compared to the Leonardo Maddog.
Ah, yeah, looks as detailed and refined as the FS9 744 and MD11 from PMDG that reside on my HDD. It must be my gfx card....However, from looking at the screenshots, I'm certain JS41 for FS10 is a step above all.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

I figured out what was wrong with me being able to get into this add-on and get it off the ground. Turns out I had a combination of the 2006 version and the 2008 model/gauges installed at the same time. I uninstalled both versions (don't ask me how this happened) and reinstalled just the 2008 version. I must say I'm impressed. Now the bird starts up in accordance with the checklist and I've had my first flight. Seeing that I've been a simmer for quite some time this bird is not as hard as I thought to get into (although for some reason I had a burn out with the left engine upon takeoff). After fully realizing this add-on I must say I'm a convert. I still like the other DC9 series offerings but this thing is the best on the block. Now if only I have keep these engines from stalling out I'll be good to go... I'm off to bed it's been a long night of trial and error...

FS2020 

Guest 747-fan
Ah, yeah, looks as detailed and refined as the FS9 744 and MD11 from PMDG that reside on my HDD. It must be my gfx card....However, from looking at the screenshots, I'm certain JS41 for FS10 is a step above all.
Take a look at the floor, side of pedestal, window struts, blocky text, yoke... compare it to the PMDG 744 and MD-11 (and yes I do own those too). Notice the lower resolution bitmaps all around. That'll probably be Leonardo's way of compensating for lack of code optimizing - "let's make the textures low resolution so that they'll get at least 5 fps in the VC." This is obviously mostly a portover model. The only redeeming fact is that they've at least bothered to 3D model most of the knobs and switches. But it is a fantastic simulation. It's one of the few models out there that I'm still not entirely comfortable flying months after purchase. There's so much to learn in it, the depth of system simulation is spectacular. And that compensates more than enough for the look of the VC.It's a very good purchase.

Can anyone tell me why my left engine keeps blowing out right after takeoff? Even sitting on the ground throttling up after about 2 minutes the left engine shuts down. The right engine is fine... I've done everything on the checklist and there's no error codes on the overhead stating something's amiss. This bird should be rocketing off the runway without any issue.

FS2020 

Can anyone tell me why my left engine keeps blowing out right after takeoff?
Could be more than one reason (including the hot start and high EGT).Try this takeoff technique (unless this is exactly what you are doing):1. set flaps to 15 and trim the elevator properly (usually at 6)2. set TRP to TO3. activate TO/GA (TAK OFF / TAK OFF for the Roll and Pitch on your FMA)4. slowly increase throttles to about 1.25 EPR and stabilize (could be 1.4 but 1.25 works safe for me)5. activate A/THYou should hear 'takeoff thrust' and 'Climp' (at 60kts) from your FO.Also suggested:- follow the FD bars- switch on AP at 200ft AGL- activate NAV or HDG at 400-500ft AGL- at 1500ft AGL reset TRP to CL- activate VNAV CLB (unless you wish to use V/S)Of course retract your slats and flaps according to preset SPD bugs (or the T/O sheet).And make sure you're not departing with too high TOWEverything should be fine if you follow these basic rules.EDIT: also, if using an external throttle device, make sure it is correctly and carefully calibrated.

Could be more than one reason (including the hot start and high EGT).Try this takeoff technique (unless this is exactly what you are doing):1. set flaps to 15 and trim the elevator properly (usually at 6)2. set TRP to TO3. activate TO/GA (TAK OFF / TAK OFF for the Roll and Pitch on your FMA)4. slowly increase throttles to about 1.25 EPR and stabilize (could be 1.4 but 1.25 works safe for me)5. activate A/THYou should hear 'takeoff thrust' and 'Climp' (at 60kts) from your FO.Also suggested:- follow the FD bars- switch on AP at 200ft AGL- activate NAV or HDG at 400-500ft AGL- at 1500ft AGL reset TRP to CL- activate VNAV CLB (unless you wish to use V/S)Of course retract your slats and flaps according to preset SPD bugs (or the T/O sheet).And make sure you're not departing with too high TOWEverything should be fine if you follow these basic rules.EDIT: also, if using an external throttle device, make sure it is correctly and carefully calibrated.
I found the problem, it turns out this is one of those great rare add-ons where you can't kick the throttle in full blast on takeoff as you'll blow out an engine or two. You have to be mindful not to go over the EGT limits even on takeoff. Little details like this is outstanding... :(

FS2020 

Just like to know what Your experience is about the MADDOG 2008 from Leonardo. Is it worth the money? or...Framerates, VC-quality, overall apperance etc...Please give me some reference before I pay 49 EUR for it...Im running on a bit (I guess) old computer, 4GB RAM, Nvidia 7600GS.Best regardsPer
As long as your running FS9 you'll be fine. This thing is a blast hands down. It's not as complicated as I one thought (no airplane is to me really once you get around their quarks). Startup is the biggest thing you'll have to become acquainted with and like my above post be mindful how you treat those engines. If your into airliners things like the FMC and autopilot should be a problem. You may have to read a little on altitude pressure but that's about it. Those who usually fly GA need to catch up on quite a few things hence my recommendation of the Coolsky/Skysim options.In short this add-on all but the best on the market for pilots wanting to actually interact with the aircraft versus monitoring systems. Like I said as long as your using FS9 this add-on is well worth the price of admission (it actually should cost more for what you get)...

FS2020 

To everyone who thinks seriously about buying and flying Leonardo's Maddog.I highly recommend downloading and watching (with pausing and rewinding) these videos.Thery are in Full HD and represent all phases of an MD-82 flight (SAS from EKCH to EDDL).1. Startup and taxi in Copenhagen:

2. Takeoff and climb:
3. Descent and approach to Dusseldorf:
4. Final approach and landing in Dusseldorf:

As long as your running FS9 you'll be fine. This thing is a blast hands down. It's not as complicated as I one thought (no airplane is to me really once you get around their quarks). Startup is the biggest thing you'll have to become acquainted with and like my above post be mindful how you treat those engines. If your into airliners things like the FMC and autopilot should be a problem. You may have to read a little on altitude pressure but that's about it. Those who usually fly GA need to catch up on quite a few things hence my recommendation of the Coolsky/Skysim options.In short this add-on all but the best on the market for pilots wanting to actually interact with the aircraft versus monitoring systems. Like I said as long as your using FS9 this add-on is well worth the price of admission (it actually should cost more for what you get)...
Rushing through my typing above as I was testing a few things out with the Maddog I see there's allot of typo's in my above statement. Here's a rewrite:As long as your running FS9 you'll be fine. This thing is a blast hands down. It's not as complicated as I once thought (no airplane is to me really once you get around the various quirks specific to each model). Startup is the biggest thing you'll have to become acquainted with and like my above post be mindful how you treat those engines. If your into airliners things like the FMC and autopilot shouldn't be a problem. You may have to read a little on altitude pressure but that's about it (my first flight from KMEM to KATL at 29,000ft required nothing to be adjusted surprisingly for a package this detailed so this may be a mute point). Those who usually fly GA need to catch up on quite a few things hence my recommendation for the Coolsky/Skysim options. I've had every version in this series but never quite got into it for one reason or another, the biggest being the lack of a VC. This was the reason for my corrupt install as I've had the original Lago model, the 2006 version, now the 2008 incarnation and must have never fully uninstalled something. Somewhere deep down I felt it was a lost cause. I guess the complexity of the SSW A310 that never worked right or should I say never was completed swayed a bias against this add-on (blame it on past experience). You can throw Captainsim into the bunch as well. After all those block systems you can't blame people for not bothering with the finished product which actually turned out quite good. I still hear people complaining about the 757 making cases not to buy it based on issues that were fixed along time ago.This add-on today in it's present form is the best hands down on the market for pilots wanting to actually interact with the aircraft versus monitoring systems. Hardcore in the since of Level-D's 767 but more work because of it's older technology. I'd go as far as to say it's the best hardcore product you can buy because of the generation of aircraft it's depicting. There was a reason two pilots and in some cases an engineer were needed to fly aircraft only a generation ago prior to what we have today. These things took work to fly and fly correctly... Like I said above as long as your using FS9 this add-on is well worth the asking price (it actually should cost more for what you get)... :( After comparing the VC functionality of the CoolSky MD-80 (my previous bird of choice) and Maddog 2008's rendition I have to take back what I said earlier now that I know what the heck I'm doing. Maddog 2008 has the best VC when talking about functionality and immersion factor. I still admire the others in the areas where they stand out. It's cool we finally have a decent DC-9, MD-80, MD-88/90 in both FS9 and FSX, all that's left is a decent 717... Looking at those FSX videos for the Maddog 2008 model on Youtube I'm thankful for FS9 compatibility allowing me to fully enjoy these birds in a smooth environment.O.k. I'm off my soap box (I guess I'm just glade I finally got this thing working)... :( :( B) B)

FS2020 

Anyone know why brakes stop working on landing roll out? As the aircraft slows down and I'm about to disengage reverse thrust the toe brakes stop working. After I clean everything up they seem to start working again. Does this bird have auto-brakes as an option when landing? I'm at work so I can't check the manuals. I just had a flight last night and was wondering as I've seen this with every landing so far.

FS2020