Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Saitek Yoke and TQ - trouble calibrating in FSUIPC

Hello,I am using the Saitek yoke and add on TQ. I have managed to get everything calibrated in FSX with FSUIPC but I am having one problem that I can't figure out.There are 6 axis levers. From left to right, they are assigned as the following:First TQ (one that came w/yoke)SpoilersThrottle eng 1Throttle eng 2Add on TQThrottle eng 3Throttle eng 4FlapsThe problem is that I can't get the n1% to equalize between the eng1&2 and eng3&4. the thrust levels inputted by the levers and the different TQs varies by 10%-20%. Full thrust and idle are the same for both TQs. I tried adjusting the slope which equalizes the n1% when I advance the throttles 50% (physical axis position, not n1%) but at 25% and 75% things are still out of wack. If I make them equal at 25%, they are out of wack at the other positions. I can't find a way to make them equal at all positions. I don't mind if it is off by a could n1% but 10-20% makes control difficult.Please help.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

My guess is it's a calibration issue on your hardware. I'm not sure FSUIPC can overcome a really bad cal on the hardware.scott s..

I have the same problem myself, i tried everything last week to fix that issue, only to go back to Windows settings for now..Did you go to Peter Dowson's forum for infos ? i didn't yet; i also noticed that, calibrating in windows shows different pattern for throttle controller that is attached to the yoke (For spoilers, engine 1 and 2) than the one added (for engine 3-4 and flaps)... maybe it is the reason ? try it out and tell me waht you think.Alain from Montreal

What a coincidence, my new Saitek yoke came in just today. So far i like the device a lot. I only found i needed to put something underneath the TQ (at the front and about an inch height) to have the levers in an acceptable angle on the table.Regarding your question, the manuals mention an optional power adapter when adding extra usb devices. It should not be needed for the extra TQ but the problem sounds like it's a power issue. My 2c.Gerrit

Thanks for the replies.I just posed it in the FSUIPC forum. We'll see if Pete has any ideas.If you want to follow the thread, here is the linkhttp://forums.simflight.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=77597

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

First question, did you disable control input in FSX configuration settings so that you are using FSUIPC exclusively? If not, FSX can give you some unintended results.I also noticed that you did not calibrate your throttle axis' for reverse thrust, did you program a button to decrement your throttles for reverse thrust?BTW I am using 2 Saitek Throtle Quads as well as many other controllers and I have no issues in getting throttle response to be very close to the same on each axis (they will vary a little because the pots are not identical in linearity).Regards,Bob

Hi Bob,I deleted all of the assignment from fs and I am using the button that is activated by moving the levers in to the red zone.

Hi Bob,I deleted all of the assignment from fs and I am using the button that is activated by moving the levers in to the red zone.
Jeff,You should disable control input in the FSX configuration settings altogether. Within FSX, Click on--->Settings, then click on Controls, and UNCHECK the box labeled Enable Controller. This gives FSUIPC exclusive control of FSX.If you have not yet tried you can also reprogram your throttle axis to engage reverse thrust as well.

BTW I am using 2 Saitek Throtle Quads as well as many other controllers and I have no issues in getting throttle response to be very close to the same on each axis (they will vary a little because the pots are not identical in linearity).Regards,Bob
Bob -- are you using MS driver or the Saitek, if so which ones? I have been using the Windows driver. With that the game controller applet calibration is available. The thing with the quad unit, is that MS interprets the first two levers as X-Y joystick and the calibration wants you to move in a circle, then center. That's hard to do with the two levers. What I am manly concerned about is the center position setting.I have never seen a good explanation of the entire data path from the pot on the stick to the input to FS.But my guess is that when windows does that calibration AFAIK the results are stored in the registry current control set and you should have 3 cal settings per axis for the first 2 quad levers(min-center-max), while the cal for the yoke levers (and the third lever on the quad) only has a two-point cal (min-max). And it seems if that calibration isn't exact, that it is going to result in different intermediate values reported between the two calibration methods, which I don't think the fsuipc slope can fix, since you can't arbitrarily shape the curve.Now if the Saitek drivers are used, my understanding is that you can't manually calibrate those levers, instead Saitek does some sort of "auto-cal" which I don't understand what that does and I don't trust it myself. Of course you can still use the fsuipc cal facility.scott s..

Well I think I fixed the problem. Pete was pretty accusatory in his answer - telling me that I must have not calibrated the throttles. The guy is a genius but it isn't pleasant to be told that I didn't do something when I spent an entire day working on it.Anyway, what he did force me to do was go back and re-calibrate everything. I did it differently the second time.When calibrating the throttles, I put the bottom value just before the detente rather than at the detente. That seems to clear up the mismatched n1% values. They are much closer now.It would be nice if there were more specific instructions for working with the Saitek products. The TQ's are very different than the CH TQ's.As usual, reverse was very easy to set up using the button activated by moving the levers in to the red zone below the detente. I can't see a benefit of setting up reverse thrust any other way with the Saitek TQ's. They way Saitek sets up reverse thrust is one of the best features of their TQ's.Program the button to decrease throttle when entering, repeat when pressed and cut throttle when exiting. One thing I can say is I really don't like the hat pan that can be set up in FSUIPC. It is no where close to the smoothness that FSX offers by default. Because of this, I sill have to se FSX for some functions. In FS9 I wouldn't have cared as much because I did not fly exclusively in VC mode. In FSX, I only fly in VC and not having a fluid pan function really takes away from the experience.

I just wanted to point out that the user guide does mention that one should not set the top and bottom values at the physical extremes for the axis. Pete point that out in his forum. I either misread the guide or glossed over that fact.I just wanted to point that out and I can see why Pete may have though that I didn't bother to calibrate.

To my knowledge USB control devices are automatically calibrated when you move the yoke, wheel or levers to their extent (InGame). This makes the control check while taxi

Jeff, when my Pro Flight Yoke arrived i presumed it had extra lever heads included. Unfortunately not, marketing i guess : ) Anyhow i'm thinking about purchasing the extra TQ. Which heads will come with it?Thanks, Gerrit

Jeff, when my Pro Flight Yoke arrived i presumed it had extra lever heads included. Unfortunately not, marketing i guess : ) Anyhow i'm thinking about purchasing the extra TQ. Which heads will come with it?Thanks, Gerrit
I remember not seeing a lot of heads with my initial purchase of the yoke/tq. I think I got more when I purchased the additional tq.I can't really remember what came with what but I can tell you what I have now.1 - 4 axis spread (couples 4 levers together)3 - black3 - blue3 - red

I took the plunge and ordered the extra TQ. The first thing i did when it arrived, took a saw and separated the bridge into single heads to solve the nasty gaps between levers (especially in the middle) : ) And guess, i'm having the same problem with 3&4 engine levers staying behind when advancing throttles. In the middle, they catch up when reaching full throttle. The cause seems obvious: Lack of power! I noticed this already when plugging in the TQ in the Yoke's base, the power led on the first TQ shine's bright while the led on the extra TQ is much more dimmed. I think i will have to invest in an USB extension cable so i can plug it directly in a computer's USB slot. That will fix it, i think (i hope). :( Gerrit