Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Where is my weather in FSX?

Another short between the ears, but I am a bit stumpted.I can startup ASA in either FSX or FS9 with no problem.For example:1. Startup WideFS2. Startup ASA3. Startup FSXASA is running, but I never see the ASA defined weather in FSX. Under World>Weather>Weather Options in the FSX provisions, the option remains on "WeatherThemes>Fair Weather". Quite different weather conditions are defined by the ASA report. If I select "User-defined weather", it says "Wind calm, light clouds, temp 50 degrees F, Dewpoint 32 degrees F, Altimeter 29.92". ASA defines the weather with many more clouds and a barometric pressure of 30.31". It was also raining earlier and I got the same results ("Weather Themes" in FSX, and ASA weather for FS9.By comparrison:1. Startup WideFS2. Startup ASA3. Startup FS9The same scenario begins for only a few moments. Then the weather in FS9 Under Weather the user options changes to "User-Defined Weather. A few moments later, the barometric pressure changes (Altimeter). A very few moments later, the weather changes to that which ASA defines.I had one exception to this while I was going from one mode to the other. In FS9 I got the same loss of weather, but I shut ASA down and restarted it and ASA weather came up just fine.I am running FSUIPC payware Version 4.520.At the top of my FSX display, I have a text ribbon which reads: Microsoft Flight Simulator X with WideServer 1 connected." Anyone have any idiea what I am missing or doing wrong? It's as if weather in FSX just never updates. (Note: I shutdown ASA and tried the FSX default Real-world weather, and it worked just fine showing pretty much the same thing ASA defined).Respectfully:RTH

Hi,ASA for FSX uses SimConnect from Microsoft and not WideFS. You need to set things up as directed in the networking chapter of ASA. Yes this is a whole other setup then the FS04 setup. So right now 1/2 is working and 1/2 is not!Thanks,

Another short between the ears, but I am a bit stumpted.WHAT A DUMMY HUH! I knew that!Thanks for your prompt reply Jim:First of all, please do not take anything I say here as taking issue with anything. I appreciate your help and am quite sure my problem is a short between these old ears, but I am puzzled and possibly you can see why from the following:I am the idiot that made the previous post: "ASA/SimConnect/FSUIPC/WideFS Share Problems? "The conclusion of that post was that ASA/FSX worked flawlessly within the limits of my starting knowledge of how to use it. In any case, FSX/ASA started up and I saw ASA generated weather with no problem in FSX with multiple tries.This morning I again tried, but got the results I have indicated in this post, no ASA weather in FSX.I am trying to avoid a lengthy post again I will only ask one question and make the following two statements:1. Does starting WideFS make any difference to SimConnect and/or cancel anything out on Simconnect? If not, I don't understand why I didn't get the ASA weather anyway.2. I changed nothing between when ASA/FSX worked fine and I got updated ASA weather.3. I have tripple checked sharing and the Simconnect settings and they are still exactly as they were when I got ASA/FSX weather.I will be happy to attach copies of my simconnect.xml, ini. files as well as what shows up in ASA folder of the registry is that is desired.I agree that it is something I have done, or not done, or changed somehow relative to the simconnect setup (how I don't know), but when I do the test recommended in the manual in the SDK for AI Aircraft to confirm that simconnect is working ok, I get:"Connected to Flight Simulator!Received:2":Then I get a progression of "AI object added: xxxxxxx" or "AI object removed: xxxxxx" line items.I will sleep on it. Sometimes that helps.Thanks for your help:RTHI can startup ASA in either FSX or FS9 with no problem.For example:1. Startup WideFS2. Startup ASA3. Startup FSXASA is running, but I never see the ASA defined weather in FSX. Under World>Weather>Weather Options in the FSX provisions, the option remains on "WeatherThemes>Fair Weather". Quite different weather conditions are defined by the ASA report. If I select "User-defined weather", it says "Wind calm, light clouds, temp 50 degrees F, Dewpoint 32 degrees F, Altimeter 29.92". ASA defines the weather with many more clouds and a barometric pressure of 30.31". It was also raining earlier and I got the same results ("Weather Themes" in FSX, and ASA weather for FS9.By comparrison:1. Startup WideFS2. Startup ASA3. Startup FS9The same scenario begins for only a few moments. Then the weather in FS9 Under Weather the user options changes to "User-Defined Weather. A few moments later, the barometric pressure changes (Altimeter). A very few moments later, the weather changes to that which ASA defines.I had one exception to this while I was going from one mode to the other. In FS9 I got the same loss of weather, but I shut ASA down and restarted it and ASA weather came up just fine.I am running FSUIPC payware Version 4.520.At the top of my FSX display, I have a text ribbon which reads: Microsoft Flight Simulator X with WideServer 1 connected." Anyone have any idiea what I am missing or doing wrong? It's as if weather in FSX just never updates. (Note: I shutdown ASA and tried the FSX default Real-world weather, and it worked just fine showing pretty much the same thing ASA defined).Respectfully:RTH
Edit: One other piece of the puzzle. As I mentioned in my original post to this post, ASA/FSX weather did word as expected once during this puzzle. I have no idiea why, or what was different about anything I did. I made no changes to the setup.

Well I just thought I was confused. Now I really am puzzled.1. Started up my Server.2. Disabled all antivirus and firewall provisions.3. Started up my Client.4. Disabled all antivirus and firewall provisions5. Started up ASA in the FSX mode.6. Started up FSX.ASA was running fine with current weather at KLWB displayed in the ASA Report. However, this weather never was displayed in FSX and the FSX "Weather themes" remained with the fixed "Weather themes" option of "Clear skies (Clears all weather)".7. Switched the ASA mode to FS9.8. Started WideFS just for the heck of it while ASA loaded up.9. Immediately after loading, ASA Weather updated to the ASA format in FSX under "User-defined weather'"I have tried this over and over this morning and it works every time. If I start ASA in the FSX mode, I cannot get it to update and show up in FSX regardless of anything I have tried. With ASA in the FS9 mode and WideFS running, I do get the ASA weather in FSX. I have tried it multiple ways. If WideFS is already running, the weather shows up in FSX immidiately after ASA finishes loading in the FS9 mode. I have also tried by starting ASA up in the FS9 mode, then starting up FSX by itself (No WideFS), and never get ASA weather. The moment I activate WideFS, the weather updates in FSX.I certainly can live with this if it continues to work. I don't care which mode ASA indicates as long as I can get updated ASA weather in FSX. However, I am puzzled.I am suspicious of Hard drive Mapping but before I fooled with that, I thought I would give this information in the hope that Jim or someone else will know exactly what is going on.Note:Under "STEP 5: TEST THE CONFIGURATION" I get the following results in my dos prompt window:"Connected to Flight Simulator!Received:2AI object added: Type=2, ObjectID=695AI object removed: Type=2, ObjectID=502"This was followed by a sequence of additional "added" and "removed" objects.Doesn't this indicate that SimConnect is setup correctly?Ignore the following unless you are a glutten for punishment, but for what it is worth to give a summary up to this point:The conclusion of a previous lengthy post, :"ASA/SIMConnect?FSUIPC/WideFS Share Problems?" on September 19th was that I discovered that I had failed to check "Allow network users to change my files" on my "E" hard drive where FSX is located. Once I checked this, I switched multiple times between the FS9 and FSX modes in ASA and weather updated fine in both Sims with the applicable FS mode selected. I thought everything was in order for both sims.Without changing anythingm yesterday morning, September 21, in the FSX mode, ASA came up fine, but I never got ASA originated weather to show up in FSX. Granted, I had a senior moment and thought WideFS was required but isn't that just academic as I had SimConnect setup (I thought)? Jim was patient and kind enough to set me straight on that idiea. However, I still don't know whether that was supposed to affect anything or not. WideFS might well be running anyway for other desired programs (i.e. PF2000/PFE, FDC, etc.). I would have thought after the previous successful setup that ASA would communicate with FSX through SimConnect regardless of whether WideFS was activated or not.This morning, I went back to the HiFi Simulation Software manual. I began with the "NETWORKED CONFIGURATION FOR FSX" on page 50 through "STEP 7: CONFIGURING X GAUGE" on page 54. Carefully I went through each step and confirmed that my settings were as the manual instructed. I did record by findings in each step if anyone wants that lengthy scenario. After I reached the end, I went back over each instruction again step by step. I also examined my setup based on "SIMCONNECT TROUBLESHOOTING" ON PAGE 56. I found nothing that I could determine was in error, and changed nothing from the same setup that worked on September 19th. (One side note: the automatic installation of the "X Gauge" fouled up all of my shortcuts for other windows in the only bird I have tried yet, the Twin Bonanza, but that is another issue I can deal with). Each shortcut works, but it activates an incorrect window for what it was before.Respectfully:RTH

Hi R,Well you discovered, like other have that you can use ASA and FSX the way you got things working.The Simconnect stuff is fine because the AI Traffic is working.Run ASA in FSX Mode with FSX running and post the ASA_Log.txt file. Using ASA in FS04 Mode while running FSX is not the way we want things to be.We need to figure out why your ASA in FSX Mode is not working with your FSX.Thanks,

Hello Jim:I thought earlier of sending you a copy of my "ASA_Log.txt.file" after reading another post where you requested that.Unfortunately, I cannot find that file, even after an XP search.Are we talking about the Blue lower portion of the ASA display? If that is so, attached is a prolonged portion of that display.If I might ask another question with hopefully an answer in laymen's terms (Not a Computer Guru!).At the bottom of the ASA display, what is the practical meaning/significance and relation between the text that shows up?1. First: "Download Active"2. Second: "Synthesis Active"3.And with random displays: "Depiction Output Active"?Copy of my bottom ASA display text as follows: (Note: I failed to start up FSX until a few moments before I made this reply (By my watch, 8:03 PM, last recorded entry: "8:02 PM - Parising line items".), but ASA was running for the time sequence recorded in the text (Sent this reply at 8:16 PM My Watch, 8:17 PM - Parising Line Items in the display).6:28 PM - ASA load commencing...6:28 PM - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License6:28 PM - FSX Path Value = Y:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\6:28 PM - FSX My AppData Path Value = X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\6:28 PM - FSX My Docs Path Value = X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\6:28 PM - ASA settings have been loaded...6:28 PM - Initializing ASA6:29 PM - FS station database update not needed (unchanged)...6:29 PM - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...6:29 PM - Wx Station Database loaded: 9961 station(s)6:29 PM - Airports Database loaded...6:29 PM - Loading Additional Weather Stations...6:29 PM - SimConnect found and initialized6:29 PM - ASA controls initialized...6:29 PM - ASA v11.0.0.433 Copyright

Good morning Jim:Attached is my ASA_Log.txt file from this morning for about a half hour.I started up ASA, and immediately then started up FSX this time. Sorry to have short changed you on the previous attachment.My "Downloads, Automatic Downloads" under ASA "Options" is set @ 5 mins.8:12 AM - ASA load commencing...8:12 AM - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License8:12 AM - FSX Path Value = Y:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\8:12 AM - FSX My AppData Path Value = X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\8:12 AM - FSX My Docs Path Value = X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\8:12 AM - ASA settings have been loaded...8:12 AM - Initializing ASA8:12 AM - FS station database update not needed (unchanged)...8:12 AM - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...8:12 AM - Wx Station Database loaded: 9961 station(s)8:12 AM - Airports Database loaded...8:12 AM - Loading Additional Weather Stations...8:12 AM - SimConnect found and initialized8:12 AM - ASA controls initialized...8:12 AM - ASA v11.0.0.433 Copyright

Hi,Download means connected to the data server, pulling in data.Synthesis means that ASA is de-encrypting the data and getting it ready for FS.Depiction Output means that ASA is sending data to FS.Increase your download interval to 30 minutes and see what happens.Thanks,

Good Evening:1. Start ASA.2. Increase your download interval to 30 minutes3. Start FSXWill do and let her run over night.Thanks: Log is as follows:RTH

Hi,Download means connected to the data server, pulling in data.Synthesis means that ASA is de-encrypting the data and getting it ready for FS.Depiction Output means that ASA is sending data to FS.Increase your download interval to 30 minutes and see what happens.Thanks,

Good Morning Jim:Same old thing. I started up ASA in the FSX mode with the 30 min. Automatic downloads option, then started up FSX and went to bed last night.The results are as follow: I hope you see something of significance somewhere there.Thanks:RTH12:10 AM - ASA load commencing...12:10 AM - Verifying Active Sky Advanced License12:10 AM - FSX Path Value = Y:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\12:10 AM - FSX My AppData Path Value = X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\12:10 AM - FSX My Docs Path Value = X:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\12:10 AM - ASA settings have been loaded...12:10 AM - Initializing ASA12:10 AM - FS station database update not needed (unchanged)...12:10 AM - World Magnetic Model has been loaded...12:10 AM - Wx Station Database loaded: 9961 station(s)12:10 AM - Airports Database loaded...12:10 AM - Loading Additional Weather Stations...12:10 AM - SimConnect found and initialized12:11 AM - ASA controls initialized...12:11 AM - ASA v11.0.0.433 Copyright

Hi,Everything is normal there.Do you really have FSX installed on Y and your operating system installed on X?Thanks,

Good afternoon Jim:"Do you really have FSX installed on Y and your operating system installed on X?"I now really believe these WERE valid assignments.In an earlier reply to this thread, I stated: "I am suspicious of Hard drive Mapping but before I fooled with that, I thought I would give this information in the hope that Jim or someone else will know exactly what is going on."This was based on a senior moment. I forgot that in mapping network drives, you map the server drives on the client computer. When I looked at mapping on the server and was unable to map my Server "C, E, or F" drives, I thought maybe something was wrong. Once I remembered and realized that they were mapped on the client computer I think this may have pretty well negated that theory.As a final dingy idiea, I thought that maybe rather than just mapping the drives, I needed to map the specific FSX and FS9 folders in spite of the fact that ASA/FS9 worked, but ASA/FSX did not, so I tried that. The text in my registry was changed a little bit as follows, but the results were exactly the same. ASA/FS9 worked, ASA/FSX did not:"Microsoft Flight Simulator X on 'Rogers\e\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games'(H:)"and"Fsx on "'Rogers\c\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Administrator\Data\Microsoft' (G:)"In any case, to try and confirm that I had not made a mistake, I have remapped them multiple times and still get the same results. My final effort was as follows. I sincerely hope that you can find an error somewhere, but frankly I will be surprised if you do.1. On the Client Computer, right clicked "My Computer".2. Selected "Disconnect Network Drive..."3. Disconnected all drives (C/X, E/Y, and F/Z).4. Within Regedit, disabled all entries under ASA in the registry with the exception of "Default" and "License".5. Selected "Map Network Drive".Note: Previously my selections were the first three default options that were displayed at the top of the listings: "Z, Y" and "X". I disconnected as listed above, and tried various other letter combinations. My last attempt in this scenario were the last three selections listed in the order that they were available: "H, G", and "B".6. Selected "H" as the "Drive:" letter.7. Browsed to and selected "e on Office (Rogers)" which is my FSX hard drive.8. Clicked "ok". "\\Rogers\e" was displayed in the "Folder" space.9. Clicked "Finish". The Address was shown as "H:\" and the root directory of my "E" server hard drive was opened (My FSX HD).10. Selected "G" as the "Drive:" letter.11. Browsed to and selected "F on Office (Rogers)" which is my FS9 hard drive.12. Clicked "ok". "\\Rogers\F" was displayed in the "Folder" space.13. Clicked "Finish". The Address was shown as "G:\" and the root directory of my "F" server hard drive was opened (My FS9 HD).14. Selected "B" as the "Drive:" letter.15. Browsed to and selected "c on Office (Rogers)" which is my server system hard drive.16. Clicked "ok". "\\Rogers\c:" was displayed in the "Folder" space.17. Clicked "Finish". The Address was shown as "B:\" and the root directory of my "C" server system hard drive was opened.19. Started up ASA selecting the FSX version.20. Clicked the "OK" Checkmark for "Flight Simulator X Location Not Found!"21. Browsed to & selected "My Computer\E on 'Office (Rogers)' (H:)\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X".22. Clicked "OK".23. Clicked the "OK" Checkmark for "FSX Application Data Location Not Found!"24. Browsed to and sellected "My Computer\C on 'Office (Rogers)'(:(\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX".25. Clicked "OK"26. Started up ASA selecting the FS9 version.27. Clicked the "OK" Checkmark for "Flight Simulator 2004 Location Not Found!".28. Browsed to & selected "My Computer\F on 'Office (Rogers)' (G:)\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9".29. Clicked the "OK" Checkmark for "FS9 Application Data Location Not Found!"30. Browsed to & selected "My Computer\C on 'Office (Rogers)'(:(\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9".Final result (Again).ASA in the FSX mode with FSX brings up ASA just fine with current weather, FSX shows only FSX default weather, not ASA.ASA in the FS9 mode with WideFS activated brings up ASA just fine with current weather in either FS9 or FSX.I believe you are becoming as puzzled as I am.Thanks for your patience.Respectfully:RTHEdit: I have no idiea why the smily faces are appearing in the paths for line 24 and 30 when I add this reply. That text should be the letter "B" in both spaces as the mapped letter chosen for my server "C" drive"Well you discovered, like other have that you can use ASA and FSX the way you got things working."

Hi,Everything is normal there.Do you really have FSX installed on Y and your operating system installed on X?Thanks,

Hi,No, you map the drives and the file folders on the server computer. Nothing on the client gets mapped or shared. You also do the mapping and sharing from the server not the client.Do you really have 2 computers or just one computer with different hard drives and drive partitions?Please go back to the Networking chapter to help you through this and then post back here!Thanks,

Good morning Jim:"No, you map the drives and the file folders on the server computer. Nothing on the client gets mapped or shared. You also do the mapping and sharing from the server not the client."I wonder if we are talking about the same thing. Edit: Immediately after right clicking "My Computer" and selecting "Map Network Drive..." the "Map Network Drive" opening instruction states: "Windows can help you connect to a shared network folder and assign a drive letter to the connection so that you can access the folder using My Computer." Note that what is being mapped is a "shared network folder" and the drive letter assignment is "to the connection". If it is a "shared network folder", this certainly implies to me that it is on the another computer in the network rather than the one currently being accessed.Sharing is no problem. I can open all files from the server on my client. For example, on my client computer I can select: "c on 'Office (Rogers}'(B:)" and access everything from my server's system directory on my client computer. The same is true of both the FSX and FS9 hard drives from my server.Relative to "map the drives and the file folders on the server computer." and/or "You also do the mapping......from the server not the client."On my server:1. Right Click "My Computer".2. Select "Map Network Drive..."3. For the "Drive:" select any letter, say "Z".4. For the "Folder:" browse to and select "c on Office (Rogers)" which is my system drive on my server.5. "OK" is grayed out and I cannot click it to map this drive or proceed any futher.The same is true of both my FSX and FS9 drive. However, if I wanted to, I could map the single hard drive from my client computer on my server. The same is true in reverse. I can map my server hard drives on my client computer as I detailed in my previous reply.On my Client:1. Right Click "My Computer"2. Select "Map Network Drive..."3. For the "Drive" select any letter, say "Z".4. For the "Folder:" browse to and select "c on Office (Rogers)".5. Click "OK" and "\\Rogers\c" will be automatically inserted as the "Folder".How can ASA/FS9 be working if this setup is not correct?If it is not correct, How can I get my "ok" where it is not grayed out so that I can map the server hard drives on my server rather than on the client?How is it that ASA/FSX seems to be working if ASA is in the FS9 mode?"Please go back to the Networking chapter to help you through this and then post back here!"The only thing I see in the "Networking chapter" that might apply to mapping is the opening statement: "Allowing this to work requires proper networking and security configuration on both computers." Downstream of this opening statement I have followed everything else to the letter step by step as I have detailed previously. Forgive me, but I don't know of anything else to try and cannot find a step that I have bypassed or overlooked. I have already listed these actions step by step in a previous reply.If you are correct in your opening statement, my problem is not being able to "OK" the mapping of my hard drives directly and exclusively on and from the server, again, assuming we are talking about the same thing, NOT sharing. They are shared with no problem, but I cannot get an "OK" downstream of the "Map Network Drive..." function within either computer. I can from the related alternate computer.I am beginning to think my only option is to either operate ASA for FSX in the FS9 mode, or delete ASA from my client computer and just install it on my server where FSX and FS9 reside."Do you really have 2 computers.........?"Server:ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel ATX MotherboardIntel Core i7-975 Extreme Quad Core CPUScythe SY124010L CPU Fam6GB (3x2GB) 240 Pin DDR3 1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK MemoryWinXP Pro 64 BitEGVA 01G-P3-1180-AR GeForce GTX 285 1GB 512 bigt DDR3 Video Graphics Card21

Well I thought I had found something.After going through the networking instructions in the pdf file for the sixth time and not being able to find anything that was setup incorrectly according to the instructions, I decided to double check my "IP Address". To find my IP Address, I have done a simple Google search for "Where do I find my IP Address?" The result was that all the sites that the search produced were some variation of "What is my IP Address?" Simply going to those websites gave a display of what mine was supposed to be.Whichever site I used when I setup ASA said that it was: "71.188.206.32"(So help me I did not make this up!).I just now checked all of the sites below:http://whatismyipaddress.com/http://www.ip-adress.com/http://www.ipaddressworld.com/http://whatismyipaddress.com/?gclid=CJb72f...CFcNB5godNQHcpQhttp://www.dslreports.com/whoishttp://aruljohn.com/All sites tell me that my IP Address is:"96.240.68.82"Is it possible for an IP Address to change unknowingly? Is there a better way to identify what my IP Address is?I edited my address in the "Simconnect.xml" file of my server FSX Application Data\Microsoft folder, and in my "SimConnect.cfg" file of My Documents on my Client. Unfortunately, I still have the same thing. ASA in the FS9 mode is fine with either FS9 or FSX.ASA in the FSX mode never updates to FSX.To be continued:RTH