Sign in to follow this  
niyoko

Bombardier Dash 8 Recommendations

I was looking at ANA's fleet and I see that they have a few Dash 8 300/400s in operation. So I'm curious to see what is out there for this plane. I did a search in the FS9 forum and didn't come up with any suggestions.Do you guys have any recommendations for a good Dash 8 300/400 airplane for FS9? Things I'd like to have: >>high detail VC >>accurate simulation >>good library of liveriesPayware or Freeware are both ok.

There is no perfect Dash-8 for MFS unfortunately.If you care about system realism, you can go for Majestc Software Dash 8-300 (and Q-400 soon). It is a very complex addon.However it is very expensive, doesn't have many liveries and the visual quality of the panel (including VC) may not be what you like.Other options would be:- payware PSS Dash 8-300 - it has a VC but not fully operational, and generally the product is quite old these days- freeware DreamWings combined with a freeware panel and ISG for current navdata (there are ready full packages around) - no VC here though- Premier Aircraft Design - this is free and comes with a VC but, briefly, don't expect too much hereNo more good news about Dash. It's a pity, I'd love one of LVLD/PMDG/LH/DA quality myself.

No more good news about Dash. It's a pity, I'd love one of LVLD/PMDG/LH/DA quality myself.
I agree. Quite a few smaller European airlines are switching to Q400s for short routes e.g. Mal

Supporter.png

John

You could do a search (probably here) for the Frolov Dash 8. It is the foreruner to the Majestic Dash 8, which is quite expensive as mentioned above. It models systems pretty well, has an impressive sound package, and comes with maybe four liveries. Main thing is- it's free! PSS thing doesn't come close to matching this one, but then again, most of their stuf doesn't.db.

Cool thanks everyone.I looked at the Majestic Software one and I agree that it is expensive. The price is going to keep me away from it for now.I think I will look at the DreamWings Dash 8 right now. It is free and might be the best first step. I did some searching and they even have an A-Net livery for it as well. That is a big pro to me. Thanks for putting that one up there Rafal.And thanks betelgeuse for posting what you are using for the DreamWings Dash 8. I've seen a lot of things about what is a good panel. I think I will also grab a sound package. I heard that it uses the Cessna sound. I'll also look into the FMC add on that you suggested. Since the Q400s are not long route flyers for A-Net I might get away with no FMC for now.Thanks again everyone for all the input. :)

Having just (about 4-6 weeks ago) bought the MJS Dash 8I can only say go for it.Yes,It was expensive,but it is a really neat piece of kit,and I have yet to experience strange things with it,It is for me the first plane that does not ctd or do weird things when flying.I'm agreeing on the somewhat shabby cockpit graphics,but the flying makes up for it,imho.It's just really well simulated and I haven't found a bug as of yet.And the sound ... it's gotta be heard to be believed.Then again,I do only fly 2d.For me,it's the best purchase I made,I've been flying the thing almost every day,it is that nice to play with.Even better is that there is a good working merge available for the dreamwingsdash 8-100 which is just as much fun to fly into the small Norwegian airports.I love it to death,honestly,haven't flown anything else.then again,I always liked the Dash 8 better,so I'm not really objective.cheersJP.

Having just (about 4-6 weeks ago) bought the MJS Dash 8I can only say go for it.Yes,It was expensive,but it is a really neat piece of kit,and I have yet to experience strange things with it,It is for me the first plane that does not ctd or do weird things when flying.I'm agreeing on the somewhat shabby cockpit graphics,but the flying makes up for it,imho.It's just really well simulated and I haven't found a bug as of yet.And the sound ... it's gotta be heard to be believed.Then again,I do only fly 2d.For me,it's the best purchase I made,I've been flying the thing almost every day,it is that nice to play with.Even better is that there is a good working merge available for the dreamwingsdash 8-100 which is just as much fun to fly into the small Norwegian airports.I love it to death,honestly,haven't flown anything else.then again,I always liked the Dash 8 better,so I'm not really objective.cheersJP.
hmm, yeah the shabby VC dissapointed me, but if the aircraft dynamics are well simulated, then i'll have to look at it after dreamwings.

hmm, yeah the shabby VC dissapointed me, but if the aircraft dynamics are well simulated, then i'll have to look at it after dreamwings.
The shabby VC maybe there,but do remember that the VC was last built about 4 years ago.Then again,there's a -400 coming,maybe that'll have e better VC :)and secondly,it just flies like the real thing,I couldn't care less about the visuals,it does what it has to doand when it has to do it,and all the time it makes thisreally really satisfying sound ..oh,I'm sorry,I just love that thing to death since buying,have flown the one mandatory flight for my VA in a 737 andI'm all over europe now with the Dash 8,it's just great.Just when I thought I was losing the addiction.

I've been spending a lot of time flying around in the Dreamwings Dash 8 Q400. I really like the model and the panel that I have for it. The experience is good so far. I do have some complaints that I'm working through: The throttle feels like it is not responsive. I throttle up, but get a very hardly any more thrust. Also the auto pilot is hard to get use to with the panel i'm using. I resets itself when activated. I set the ALT, HDG, and IAS before taking off, but when I get airborne and activate the AP it resets them all. I find myself having to mess with them for a little while till the AP "settles" into the settings.I have a question though, How does prop trim work? How does it work with the throttle?I'm overall happy with the Dreamwings Q400. But I'm now more curious about the payware one in the future.