Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

Global Express XRS - FSX Released!

An FSX-Native, freeware Global Express XRS has just been released, and is available at flightsim.com at the moment. As soon as the Library is restored here, it will be uploaded to AVSIM as well.globalexpressxrs_1009.zipThe Global Express is a growth from the Challanger 601 series. The Global Express cruises at an airspeed of 488 knots and has a maximum altitude of 51,000 feet. The aircraft is powered by two BMW/Rolls Royce BR700-710A2-20 turbofan engines, rated at 14,750 pounds takeoff thrust. The cockpit features the Primus 2000 system. This package contains both 4:3 and wide-screen 2D panels, as well as a fully interactive virtual cockpit. The gauge system was designed to use the freeware FMS by Garett Smith. By Richard Schwertfeger.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bill,Great news, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm hoping to have some time later today to test it, but in the mean time is there any chance it will work with fs2004? Do you have any teaser panel pics? Or do I really have to wait until later? :( Thanks!John

Bill,Great news, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm hoping to have some time later today to test it, but in the mean time is there any chance it will work with fs2004? Do you have any teaser panel pics? Or do I really have to wait until later? :(
Although the 2d panels and gauges will work well in FS9, the model is FSX only. I'm encouraging Richie to "downcovert" the FSX exterior and interior models to allow use in FS9, but that may well take several months.The only unfortunate think at this juncture is that Garett Smith's FMC is available only from AVSIM, and of course the Library here is still INOP... :(

Fr. Bill    

Thank You for the info,I installed it but can't get any gauges to show up,I did make sure to install/unzip the gauges to the FSX gauges folder.Anyone else have this problem?

Ok I have gauges, everything looks pretty good. (you need to extract the gauges into the FSX main gauges folder, NOT the acft's gauge folder)My question is regarding clickspots on the overhead panel. For instance, I see a "no takeoff" condition on the EICAS or MFD, so I'm trying to turn on the hydraulic pumps 1A, 2B etc, (whatever they are) but I can't find the clickspots in the VC on the overhead panel. There might be one clickspot available for pump 3B, but still I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn on the rest of the pumps.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Ok I have gauges, everything looks pretty good. (you need to extract the gauges into the FSX main gauges folder, NOT the acft's gauge folder)My question is regarding clickspots on the overhead panel. For instance, I see a "no takeoff" condition on the EICAS or MFD, so I'm trying to turn on the hydraulic pumps 1A, 2B etc, (whatever they are) but I can't find the clickspots in the VC on the overhead panel. There might be one clickspot available for pump 3B, but still I cannot for the life of me figure out how to turn on the rest of the pumps.
Many of the clickspots are "hidden" until certain conditions exist. This prevents mutually exlusive conditions from occuring. You really must read the manual, which explains this in detail. For example, you can only have at most two of the hydraulic pumps on at any given time.
B) Default to OFF. When switch is up (ON), clicking on B areas will turn Hyd Pump 1B OFF.C) Click on ON will set HYD 1B to ON. Turn ON only if L Eng fails.D) 3A is default to OFF and EICAS message will display caution with CAUTION on CWP. Click on switch center to turn OFF.E) Clicking on ON will set HYD 3A to ON.F) 3B is default to OFF. If 3A is ON none of the mouse areas on 3B can be displayed. Selecting 3A to Off will automatically turn 3B ON. When 3B is on, none of the mouse areas on 3A can be displayed. This prevents both systems to be turned on at the same time.G) Click on ON to turn 3B on, if 3A is OFF.H) 2B is default to OFF. This should only be turned ON if R Eng fails. Click on ON to turn 2B ON.
The "goal" is to have only "white advisory messages" left on the CAS display (and even those may be turned off).As for installation, all that is required is that one extract the entire .zip file to a hard drive, as a new folder will automatically be created:..\Global Express FSX Build FolderThen carefully copy/paste the contents* of the ..\Effects and ..\Gauges folders to the sim's folders of the same name.Then move the entire ..\Bombardier Global Express XRS folder to the sim's ..\Airplanes folder.*This is especially important since the landing and taxi lights both use custom .fx files, and won't illuminate unless those two .fx files are placed in the sim's ..\Effects folder.

Fr. Bill    

Guest Atomic_11

Uh..I can't get the gauges to work, I had unzip it into the FSX main Gauges folder. Any help?

Many of the clickspots are "hidden" until certain conditions exist. This prevents mutually exlusive conditions from occuring. You really must read the manual, which explains this in detail. For example, you can only have at most two of the hydraulic pumps on at any given time.The "goal" is to have only "white advisory messages" left on the CAS display (and even those may be turned off).As for installation, all that is required is that one extract the entire .zip file to the root folder of FSX! Everything will automatically be placed where it needs to be in the sim...This is especially important since the landing and taxi lights both use custom .fx files, and won't illuminate unless those two .fx files are placed in the sim's ..\Effects folder.
Well all the notices are white text but it still says "no takeoff" I will check out the manual (didn't know there was one lol)Also, if you use winzip it won't install right. I think he had the files placed in a "build" folder prior to compression. See pic:filepath.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yeah,I use Winzip and can confirm it won't work per install instructions,where do I place file id file?

Yeah,I use Winzip and can confirm it won't work per install instructions,where do I place file id file?
Oops! Sorry about that. I've edited the previous post with the correct steps for manual installation. :( You can delete the file_id.diz file. It was required by flightsim.com so their system can automatically generate the file listing in their Library.In any case, only copy or move the CONTENTS of the ..\Gauges folder of the GLX to the sim's ..\Gauges folder, and the CONTENTS of the ..\Effects folder of the GLX to the sim's ..\Effects folderI had originally set up this project to use the ClickTeam installer, so that's why the folders are structured the way they are. Then I discovered that the power supply on my "old" development machine has died, so I didn't have access to the ClickTeam install builder program... :(

Fr. Bill    

OH OH!! Does this mean I need to go into my FSX Gauges and Effects folder and delete everything I unzipped from the aircraft int them? Thanks for the info Bill!!

Guest 413X3

Can someone post screenshots of the virtual cockpit?

VC without the FMS freeware gauge, I've yet to get thatfsscr000-44.jpgfsscr001-40.jpg

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Unfortunately, Garett Smith's FMS was only ever uploaded here to AVSIM, so until the Library is fixed... :(NOTE: Since the Library is now online again, get it here: honeywellfmc.zip

Fr. Bill    

An FSX-Native, freeware Global Express XRS has just been released, and is available at flightsim.com at the moment. As soon as the Library is restored here, it will be uploaded to AVSIM as well.globalexpressxrs_1009.zipThe Global Express is a growth from the Challanger 601 series. The Global Express cruises at an airspeed of 488 knots and has a maximum altitude of 51,000 feet. The aircraft is powered by two BMW/Rolls Royce BR700-710A2-20 turbofan engines, rated at 14,750 pounds takeoff thrust. The cockpit features the Primus 2000 system. This package contains both 4:3 and wide-screen 2D panels, as well as a fully interactive virtual cockpit. The gauge system was designed to use the freeware FMS by Garett Smith. By Richard Schwertfeger.
Thanks for the heads up Bill!Looking at the specs makes me want to ask something I've always wondered. Many business jets have ceilings at or near 51K ft. How often do the business jets fly at such altitudes? The highest I've flown is at IRL FL 410 in a 767, so I imagine there's advantages to flying higher in terms of traffic avoidance. But how often are such altitudes achieved in the real world?Regards,John