Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Windows 7 experience

I am also seeing a 5-10 FPS DECREASE with W7 Pro 64 vs Vista Ultimate 64 in FSX DX9. I'll try the 190.07 drivers and see what happens. I thought performance would at least be the same, if not slightly better than Vista. It certainly isn't the truth so far.On the other hand, I'm loving the boot time of W7. I estimate it to be about half as long as my old Vista boot.

13900K | MSI RTX 4090 | 64 GB 3600 MHz | 4x SSD + 1x HDD | ASUS 42" 3840x2160 120Hz OLED
VirtualFly TQ6+ | Virpil WarBRD + Constellation Alpha | MFG Crosswind V2 | RealSimGear GNS530/430

spacer.png

I'm also seeing a marked decrease in FPS from W7x64 Ultimate RC to the newly installed W7x64 Pro retail version.I don't know what they changed but it's done nothing to help FSX.

Initially I had a bunch of blurries in FSX with Win7 that I did not have with Vista. I worked at shutting down a bunch of non-essential things and got my performance to improve considerably. Now, I flew over KLAX and had much better FPS. In Vista, even with no traffic LAX would drop my fps into the low 20s. Now I maintain closer to 30.
I, too, initially had blurries when I switched...only to find that NHancer didn't retain my settings. That, in turn, controlled my Nvidia card settings. After going through the NHancer tabs (per NICK), and re-setting everything, the sim has never been clearer or faster. NHancer works well for me on my system. Stan

HI Stan-I just got a new "puter with Win7 64 bit.Love the operating system.Have lots of troubles with fsx-the biggest for me that realityxp 430 crashes now-along with flightsim hardware I have bought not working.I went from a system where Vista hosed my whole computer but fsx worked fine-to one who's system works great but fsx no longer does.Grrrrr.....
Hi, Geofa. Great to hear from you. I'm not using the realityXp 430. I had Vista 64 installed on my new Jetline system, and just converted to Win7 (per free upgrade) version 64. I (crossing my fingers) am extremely pleased so far with what I have installed. I hope that a fix is in the future for the Reality xp430 so that you can really enjoy FSX again. What other troubles are you having with FSX besides the realityxp problem?Stan

Hi, Geofa. Great to hear from you. I'm not using the realityXp 430. I had Vista 64 installed on my new Jetline system, and just converted to Win7 (per free upgrade) version 64. I (crossing my fingers) am extremely pleased so far with what I have installed. I hope that a fix is in the future for the Reality xp430 so that you can really enjoy FSX again. What other troubles are you having with FSX besides the realityxp problem?Stan
I haven't had time yet to tell-it has taken me 4 days all day long to get my 100 or so add ons back-well most of them.... I wish there was an easier way-this is as bad as doing taxes!

I haven't had time yet to tell-it has taken me 4 days all day long to get my 100 or so add ons back-well most of them.... I wish there was an easier way-this is as bad as doing taxes!
Well I have a wierd one-no matter what I set my setting on the fps counter reports the same 12-15 and I know I am doing much better on my new rig. Doesn't matter if I set the sliders all the way to the left or right. Perhaps making the fps counter malfunction is a good thing?-cause the flight is smooth no matter what.Now my biggest disapointment (along with loss of some significant hardware).The reality xp waas gps. I know there is a way to get it to work. First any plane that used it crashed fsx. Now I have the unit displayed without a crash but the screen is transparent. Anyone have any idea what one does to get it to work. This is the one fs add on I can't live without!

Guest Greystone

Haven't seen this addressed here yet, but perhaps I missed it: My free upgrade to Win 7-64 is, ahem, in the mail so I want to do some preliminary prep to make sure I get it right.I hate the idea of a clean install instead of upgrade from my Vista-64, but the prevailing wisdom seems to indicate this is the best way to go. That said, I have a gazillion extra Missions, SimObjects, Rewards, and other stuff I'd like to keep. All were initally loaded on a removable 500GB hard drive first and then loaded into the sim. That shouldn't be a tough issue to deal with, albeit time consuming, and it would be a lot easier if I could just copy the whole FSX folder onto another drive and then drag it over to the C: drive when Win 7 is up and running. I guess my concern is that Vista installed FSX in a different directory path than XP, and I don't know if the path for Win 7 will totally dick things up without a complete reinstall of FSX. I realize I can keep my fsx.cfg for reference, but it may have issues if just patched into my user directory.Any gouge is appreciated.

You're right Geof, and I am an accountant. But, I think Windows 7 was worth it.

Howard

Jetline Systems: Intel 8th Gen Core i7 8700K (4.8GHz Overclock); GTX 1080 Ti; LG Curved UltraWide 3440x1440 Monitor

You're right Geof, and I am an accountant. But, I think Windows 7 was worth it.
I agree Howard-especially after two years with a trashed Vista that even Microsoft techs couldn't fix.I am 99% done after 4 full days-but there are some odd troubles with certain add ons, and one I am going to post another thread on if I don't find the answer here already.

Does anyone know if I have to actually install the dreaded Vista in order to get the free Windows 7 update? I have an un-opened fully licensed UK copy of Vista Ultimate sitting in front of me. What to do?

Supporter.png

John

Guest Greystone
Does anyone know if I have to actually install the dreaded Vista in order to get the free Windows 7 update? I have an un-opened fully licensed UK copy of Vista Ultimate sitting in front of me. What to do?
Far as I know, and I am a mediocre dweeb at best, you will need to install the Vista version purchased after June 30, 2009, register it with Mother MS, and then using the upgrade code (black pamphlet in the box) along with the original activation code, you then go through the latticework of websites and phone calls to Mujbar in India to get the free upgrade. I did so two weeks ago and am still waiting for the postman. Not holding my breath for a Christmas present. Good luck.

Far as I know, and I am a mediocre dweeb at best, you will need to install the Vista version purchased after June 30, 2009, register it with Mother MS, and then using the upgrade code (black pamphlet in the box) along with the original activation code, you then go through the latticework of websites and phone calls to Mujbar in India to get the free upgrade. I did so two weeks ago and am still waiting for the postman. Not holding my breath for a Christmas present. Good luck.
Hehe! I was given my Vista 64 Ultimate as a Christmas box last year but never installed it. So I miss out on the 'free' upgrade. Since my first post on this thread I have found out that Windows 7 64 (like Vista 64) does not support Adobe Reader. As I use .pdf files a lot in my work, I will have to re-think Windows 7. (Why use a 64 bit OS? Because I have a quad core processor and 6 GB RAM.). So, my solution is to stick with XP for FS programs. A little bird has promised me an iMAC for Christmas to make up for last year's disappointment. Snow Leopard knocks spots off (gettit?) any of the MS products according to very well-informed sources in my Uni IT department.Anyone want a free upgrade to Vista 64 - legal, licensed in an unopened box? I thought not.

Supporter.png

John

I'm using Adobe Reader V7 on Win7 x64 with no problems.Cheers, SLuggy

Hehe! I was given my Vista 64 Ultimate as a Christmas box last year but never installed it. So I miss out on the 'free' upgrade. Since my first post on this thread I have found out that Windows 7 64 (like Vista 64) does not support Adobe Reader. As I use .pdf files a lot in my work, I will have to re-think Windows 7. (Why use a 64 bit OS? Because I have a quad core processor and 6 GB RAM.). So, my solution is to stick with XP for FS programs. A little bird has promised me an iMAC for Christmas to make up for last year's disappointment. Snow Leopard knocks spots off (gettit?) any of the MS products according to very well-informed sources in my Uni IT department.Anyone want a free upgrade to Vista 64 - legal, licensed in an unopened box? I thought not.
If any major OS did not support PDF there would be a major problem for businessmen and people that user the computer at home. PDF is used to display simple documents to emailing/printing/viewing professional documents. Its also used for magazines!Adobe Reader works perfect on my pc just like Vista, and I'm running 64-bit. Make sure to download adobe reader from this website and also remember that 32 bit software still works on 64 bithttp://get.adobe.com/reader/

Adobe Reader works perfect on my pc just like Vista, and I'm running 64-bit. Make sure to download adobe reader from this website and also remember that 32 bit software still works on 64 bithttp://get.adobe.com/reader/
Yes, of course, I know that 32 bit software can run on a 64 bit system but not all 32 bit programs will run, including, Adobe Reader 9.2. It doesn't work on my 64 bit system and I am not alone. When I attempt to install it the OS crashes and I get a BSD with error message. Check these and other similar threads. http://forums.adobe.com/thread/429900http://www.techsupportforum.com/microsoft-...tml#post2195344

Supporter.png

John