Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Windows 7 experience

I ditched Acrobat months ago and switched to Foxit. Uses a third of your resources and doesn't have unnecessary background services running constantly.

I ditched Acrobat months ago and switched to Foxit. Uses a third of your resources and doesn't have unnecessary background services running constantly.
Thanks for the tip, Dean. Foxit (32 bit program) up and running in Vista 64. :(

Supporter.png

John

You're right Geof, and I am an accountant. But, I think Windows 7 was worth it.
Hi Howard...good to see another accountant posting here! BTW, i just installed Win 7 on my primary rig, still running the virus scan but I guess i have a week or so of reinstallation work to do!Pete

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Hi Howard...good to see another accountant posting here! BTW, i just installed Win 7 on my primary rig, still running the virus scan but I guess i have a week or so of reinstallation work to do!Pete
I just got past my week-everything working now-and beyond elated. I've never in my almost 30 years of simming had a sim that is screaming and looking like fsx on windows 7-simply amazing!

I just got past my week-everything working now-and beyond elated. I've never in my almost 30 years of simming had a sim that is screaming and looking like fsx on windows 7-simply amazing!
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy. As another old timer please give me chapter and verse on what I must do to attain this state of bliss. Which version of Windows 7 should I go for? I run XP Pro at the moment. I assume from your posts that I will have to do a completely new FS9 install in Windows 7. Did you install on a new HDD or a new/existing partition? I guess I need a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of my quad core CPU. OR, should I use this opportunity to install FSX? It's sitting in its box, unopened, because FS9 has been running soooo sweetly and I have umpteen addons. Thanks. John Intel 9650 Quad 3GHz; Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 DDR2; GeForce GTX260 "Core 216 Superclocked" 896 MB; 4GB DDR2

Supporter.png

John

Ah....the future looks good! Hoping to make some progress today (football and flightsim, what can be better than that?).

Pete Solov - Lake in the Hills 3CK

and Schaumburg Regional 06C
Proud AOPA Member - PPL 2001
Real World Piper Cherokee Pilot

Congratulations! I hope you enjoy. As another old timer please give me chapter and verse on what I must do to attain this state of bliss. Which version of Windows 7 should I go for? I run XP Pro at the moment. I assume from your posts that I will have to do a completely new FS9 install in Windows 7. Did you install on a new HDD or a new/existing partition? I guess I need a 64 bit OS to take full advantage of my quad core CPU. OR, should I use this opportunity to install FSX? It's sitting in its box, unopened, because FS9 has been running soooo sweetly and I have umpteen addons. Thanks. JohnIntel 9650 Quad 3GHz; Asus Rampage Formula Intel X48 DDR2; GeForce GTX260 "Core 216 Superclocked" 896 MB; 4GB DDR2
Well I can only speak of my experience. I ordered a extremely reasonably priced new computer:
  • <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l10 level1 lfo1; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; tab-stops: list .5in" class=MsoNormal>
http://www.live.intelus.webcollage.net/server/costco/intelus-showcase/standalone?wccgsite=costco' target="_blank">Intel

Well I can only speak of my experience. I ordered a extremely reasonably priced new computer:
  • <LI style="COLOR: black; mso-list: l10 level1 lfo1; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; tab-stops: list .5in" class=MsoNormal>
http://www.live.intelus.webcollage.net/server/costco/intelus-showcase/standalone?wccgsite=costco' target="_blank">Intel

Thanks, Geofa, gman. I have a GTX260 'Core 216' overclocked, and an Intel Q9560 Yorkfield 3 GHz. I have just 4GB low latency DDR2 though so I might need to beef that up for FSX.Looks like I might go for dual boot. XP Pro x32 is installed already, Windows 7 x64 and FSX to be added on separate partitions.

Supporter.png

John