Sign in to follow this  
ryanbatc

Mouse cursor = lower fps

I am wondering why my mouse cursor lowers FPS by about 30% when its on the screen. Anyone know why this might be? I run in windowed mode about 90% of the time.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I am wondering why my mouse cursor lowers FPS by about 30% when its on the screen. Anyone know why this might be? I run in windowed mode about 90% of the time.
Ya know, I had the same problems on my older system. (Swapped out a Pentium D 945 for my signatrue.) Since that switch, the problems went away. I assume only because the newer proc.'s power over the Pentium D. Anyway, I was/am using a Logitech LX7 mouse. Perhaps that was part of the issue.What mouse are you using?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Yup, me, zach, and a few other people have talked about this issue a while ago on here...you can try searching for the thread. My problem has not went away, nor do i think its possible to fix it. What I do know is...I noticed that the fps drop only occurs when the mouse is over the VC area, so as i only fly VC, I open up a 2-d panel that I never use, make it as small as possible, and move it over so only a tiny bit is visible in the top right corner. When I'm done using hte mouse, i just rest it in that corner, so I dont have to wait those 5 seconds of low fps until the mouse disappears, and no more FPS drops when openning the ATC window, which automatically brings up the mouse.

Red's remedy was the same I used when I had the problem. Using Trackir, the issue was unbearable at heavy addon sceneries with AI. I'm just not sure what could cause this; GPU, CPU... Other.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

You may be able to make an impact on mouse cursor/fps by going into ControlPanel/Display/Settings/Advanced/TroubleShoot>Hardware Accel. Try retarding the slider there by TWO notches. If I recall,you will have to restart the computer for this change to take effect. If it does not help, you can always revert.Alex Reid

I use a laser mouse, the Logitech G5It's definitely noticeable - but doesn't last very long.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

RyanI had this problem also with a Logitech G5 mouse. After a lot of Googling, I found that there is a possible problem between some Logitech software/drivers and Windows OS and possibly more so with Intellitype/point? I uninstalled the drivers and used the "generic" settings but the fps drop persisted.Then I thought it could be a USB problem so I switched to a PS2 connection but that didn't seem to work.I switched back to a MS Mouse and that was Ok. Subsequently I have used a Logitech trackball in FSX plus a MS Keyboard and have had NO issues, no FPS drop in the VC. Its a real puzzle.Good luck with solving thisRegardsPeterH

I use a laser mouse, the Logitech G5It's definitely noticeable - but doesn't last very long.
I also have the G5, but I also tried an older PS2 mouse, and had the same problem. And the effect only lasts as long as the mouse is over the VC. As soon as it hovers over a 2D panel or disappears when not moving(takes a few seconds), the effect stops.

It may be necessary to uninstall the Logitech software and then reboot to correct the issue.I had a G5 way back in the day when it was new and it absolutely destroyed my performance in the game F.E.A.R.

It may be necessary to uninstall the Logitech software and then reboot to correct the issue.I had a G5 way back in the day when it was new and it absolutely destroyed my performance in the game F.E.A.R.
Well there are settings within the Softpoint software that affects CPU usage - such as the report rate. But I set that to minimum (125) and the problem persists.What do I lose if I disable/uninstall the software? Regardless, something is wacked up....grrr

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

The only really useful things the Logitech software allows you to do is setup custom dpi resolutions and reassign buttons. If I'm not mistaken the mouse has an on-the-fly resolution changer so the custom resolution thing isn't such a big deal unless none of the default options work well for you. Personally, I'd sacrifice the ability to customize my mouse buttons to have full performance on my PC.

Well even if I exit the program (its in the system tray) I still get low FPS. I'll have to think about removing it. I do use other FPS games such as BF2, which use the DPI settings....

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Just to add, I've never installed the logitech mouse software of drivers. I simply plugged it in and am using default drivers. so that can't be the problem. Anyways, I've tried all possibilities and to my knowledge, there is no association of this to anything.

Good to know thanks!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Sorry to revive this thread but sometimes the cursor does not disappear, with the Flight1 Mustang it won't go away unless I move it off screen.This is very annoying, since I fly vatsim most of the time, and am constantly clicking stuff or swapping back to the desktop for an approach plate etc.Anyone have ideas on how to fix it?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |