•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
- - - - -

DX10 Runway/Taxiway flickering FIX !

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

Inactive Member_james_2k_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 8 Months and 1 Day

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:47 PM

Hi guys, Im using DX10 mode because of the quadruple framerate it gives me. but the texture flicker was highly annoying, i noticed when i was doing up my local airport (dundee - on the library now) that the flicker stopped and after a few modifications, came back. i didnt know why this was.then i found out if i added a taxiway with a concrete texture, the flickering wouldnt happen.tested at egpt. stock airport - flicker. added a concrete taxiway (by itself) in ADE. no flicker. removed that taxiway. flicker!same result with glasgow. with that small concrete taxiway there was no flickering.Tested also at KPLDso could someone test this on an airport they know flickers with dx10 on?load it up in fsx, check for flickers.if it has them then load it up in Airport Design Editor, check what taxiways are used (the examples above use asphalt) then add a concrete one just a small one with 2 nodes, doesnt need to connect to anything.then boot up fsx and check for the flickering.if its fixed then you can try removing that taxiway and they should come back.---Also please try this in the ones that worked for me: EGPN - EGPT - EGPF - KPLD.---If you dont have ADE:it wont let me attach a zip to this post but my uploaded EGPN doesnt flicker. so you can test if you like if you dont have ADE installed. so load up egpn, see if its flickering, then put this file in /addon scenery/scenery. and let me know if it worked :)sorry if this is old news :Saddons:Gex, Rex, UTXAddenum:lookie here for info on how to improve your rain/snow effects in DX10. just found it myself and its insanely awesome

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 Illegitimi non carborundum

Illegitimi non carborundum

AVSIM Staff Reviewer

• Reviewer
  • 1,025 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 3 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:56 PM

JamesGood tip will try and report back!! :( I couldn't Gizmo's fx file to fix the rain and snow in the link you provided. Have you found it yet?ThanksPeterH

#3 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:39 AM

i didnt use his file i just made the changes to the shader file in the fsx folder. but if you pm me your email address ill send the .fx file to you. 100% credit to cbuchner1 of courseit goes inF:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\miscyou replace the existing file there (backing up of course)Then you have to delete the file: Rain40.fx_0-...in the :F:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\miscreplacing james with your username of course :) assuming withdows 7 or vista as you cant do it on xp anyway. once you load fsx it recompiles the file and sticks a fresh copy into that appdata folder.And thanks for looking into it, it certainly has fixed my flickering (just need to edit any flickery airports i come across though)

#4 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

had a couple of PMs about the rain/snow fix so rather than have to email everyone ill upload the .txt file.with this, open it in notepad, select ALL the text, then cut/copyopen the 'rain40.fx' file (in X:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\misc) (not the .fxh one) with notepad and delete its contents, then paste in the text you just cut/copied from the text file and save. (remember to backup before you do this of course).now as i said above, go to X:\Users\James\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10\ShadersHLSL\misc replacing my name with your username.and delete the file beginning with rain40 (theres only one)then load up fsx. done.then come and tell us how much better it is, because it really is :)DX10 only.if you get no rain, the text wasnt all copied, just run through the steps again.[attachment=11134:Rain40.txt]

#5 David Roch

David Roch

• Members
  • 6,086 posts
  • Joined 11 Years and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:25 AM

James, I suggest that you open another thread with the rain fix.This one was about the DX10 Runway/Taxiway flickering...BTW the solution to avoid flickering is to replace the asphalt apron surface with a concrete one.The flickering appears where the asphalt apron meets the asphalt (or concrete) taxiway or runway.This trick works in any place.
David Roch
Administrator

Welcome To Avsim's French Forum
Posted Image

AOPA Member#: 06953886

#6 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:41 AM

all the airports i listed above have asphalt runways linking to asphalt taxiways in asphalt aprons. with no flickering (unless i remove the small concrete taxiway). so i dont think thats correct, not directly anyway.feel free to split the topic into two if you like. was just supposed to be a 'ps'

#7 David Roch

David Roch

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

all the airports i listed above have asphalt runways linking to asphalt taxiways in asphalt aprons. with no flickering (unless i remove the small concrete taxiway). so i dont think thats correct, not directly anyway.

You're maybe right.I'm gonna give a try and report.
David Roch
Administrator

Posted Image

#8 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

thanks! the airports above at stock are confirmed flickerers :) -strange that one little concrete taxiway anywhere on the airport would fix it.

#9 David Roch

David Roch

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

thanks! the airports above at stock are confirmed flickerers :) -strange that one little concrete taxiway anywhere on the airport would fix it.

James, it works as well!So both the solutions are OK:Yours, adding a small concrete taxiway anywhere.Mine, replacing one of the asphalt aprons with a concrete one.:--))
David Roch
Administrator

Posted Image

#10 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

nice one. i was very happy to find any solution! :)

#11 Qatsi58

Qatsi58

• Members
  • 488 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 1 Month and 8 Days Ago.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

Isn't adding a ADE afcad enough to solve the flickering (without changing any of the surfaces)? Just a thought. I remember i had flickering surfaces in DX9 with Afcad tool #1, while with Afcad tool #2 the surface was solid (just as an example).Gerrit

Gerrit

#12 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

i thought so too initially but this isnt true.you can test by removing the 'fix' from the ade bgl. you will get the flickers back.

#13 Gridley

Gridley

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 4 Days Ago.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:32 PM

Will also test tonight. KORH default is a terrrrrible flickerer.

#14 Inactive Member_Hardwater_***

Inactive Member_Hardwater_***
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:18 PM

I'm lost with how to fix DX10 mode. Can someone do a quick run through of what I need to do. And what about the rain fix is this for everyone? Or just the people that were experiencing problems? Thanks

#15 Inactive Member_james_2k_***

• Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:00 PM

ill write a quick guide in a bit.about the rain: its not for the flickers. but it is for dx10 which this thread is about. and it makes it look way better :)

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!