Sign in to follow this  
duckbilled

Bouncing aircraft, ground vehicles...

Hello,I am noticing an increase in bouncing ui aircraft and ground vehicles. The most recent add on has been GEX Europe.I know that some of the FS9 Aircraft (POSKY) need work on their contact points so they would push back with AES without bouncing (737 and CRJ700). If anybody has some good contact points for those aircraft that would be appreciated.On a more disturbing not, I have noticed ground vehicles bouncing when switching views. Has anybody experienced this and do you know how to fix it?Everything just keeps bouncing around my sim and it is starting to annoy me. Airport or aircraft doesn't matter. I do not have any add on mesh. I let a POSKY CRJ700 sit at a gate at KTVC today for about three hours with the engines off. When I cam back to the sim, the aircraft had moved all the way in to the terminal - probably 100ft.

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Bump.I think I can figure out the AES thing but everything seems to be bouncing at a number of airports with different aircraft.When I switch views, my aircraft and all of the ground vehicles hop about 5ft in to the air. Any ideas?

MSFS Premium Deluxe Edition; Windows 11 Pro, I9-9900k; Asus Maximus XI Hero; Asus TUF RTX3080TI; 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw DDR4 3600; 2X Samsung 1TB 970EVO; NZXT Kraken X63; Seasonic Prime PX-1000, LG 48" C1 Series OLED, Honeycomb Yoke & TQ, CH Rudder Pedals, Logitech G13 Gamepad 

Yes, and it has nothing to do with AES (except that it adds more vehicles to bounce) or GEX. It's the MESH setting that is causing the problem. You could have set the mesh level to a point where it is `averaging` the lines between trig points. As the sim recalculates, the effective altitude of the ground changes, even by only a few centimetres, and stuff bounces.Just adjust the mesh setting to a slightly lower or slightly higher level, and the problem should go away. If you are using addon mesh then the problem is always exacerbated when using higher detail mesh as the differences in the calculations are more pronounced, leading to a larger altitude change as the sim calculates.

Thanks. I forgot about this thread.I did have the mesh resolution set to 1m because the Fly Tampa Grenadines suggested settings. IMHO, their recommended settings are absurdly high and they should have designed the product to run at more moderate settings. I love Fly Tampa and always will but this release isn't my favorite.Anyway, back to the central issue - I also started having issues with disappearing buildings/terrain/aircraft textures... Basically the sim started to go haywire. After dialing the mesh resolution back to 10m the problems went away. I changed a couple other settings at that time as well so I can't definitively blame it on the 1m mesh but...I also did a flight last night when the lower mesh setting and I don't recall seeing the bouncing vehicles so it seems like everything is once again kosher.

Thanks. I forgot about this thread.I did have the mesh resolution set to 1m because the Fly Tampa Grenadines suggested settings. IMHO, their recommended settings are absurdly high and they should have designed the product to run at more moderate settings. I love Fly Tampa and always will but this release isn't my favorite.Anyway, back to the central issue - I also started having issues with disappearing buildings/terrain/aircraft textures... Basically the sim started to go haywire. After dialing the mesh resolution back to 10m the problems went away. I changed a couple other settings at that time as well so I can't definitively blame it on the 1m mesh but...I also did a flight last night when the lower mesh setting and I don't recall seeing the bouncing vehicles so it seems like everything is once again kosher.
Hopefully this will show others how to fix this problem, which has a different cause to the one which caused the same effect in FS9. Why ANY developer would recommend 1m mesh settings when no-one - not anyone - supplies a mesh to that resolution is daft and beyond comprehension. One might charitably offer that it is the result of mistranslation and what they are referring to are TEXTURE resolution settings, which DO benefit hi-detail scenery addons designed for it. But if that is the case that is also erroneous as the `best` resolution setting is 60cm - as well as making better use of the higher resolution texture it also allows the vector roads to display at their true resolution and can even offer BETTER average frame rates. In either case then the competence of the developer MUST be called into question.

Well I wouldn't question FT as a whole based on the fact they have consistently delivered some of the best add on scenery for FS over a period of several years. I would, however, question their decision to design the Grenadines using such incredibly high settings. BTW, it wasn't a misunderstanding - they actually have a screenshot of their settings in the manual. Of course they are "recommended" settings that seem to produce reasonable FPS in an island environment. I would assume that they were expecting people to change their settings specifically for their Grenadines scenery and switch them back when flying in other places. I have never liked that approach because I fly to a specific scenery from someone else's scenery. If everyone has different recommended settings, you have to choose something in the middle which are exactly the type of settings developers should design their products for to begin with.Anyway, thanks for the help. I think that 1m setting created a bunch of issues with my system and I am glad to have things running nice and smooth again.