Sign in to follow this  
EngineRoom

How to make night time darker?

Are there any addons available that make night time in FSX truly dark? Usually when flying at night I can still clearly see the ground and horizon, and I'd really like to make night time inky black, with no horizon reference outside.Short of turning the brightness on my laptop display down, is there any other way I can achieve this?Thanks,Nick

Are there any addons available that make night time in FSX truly dark? Usually when flying at night I can still clearly see the ground and horizon, and I'd really like to make night time inky black, with no horizon reference outside.Short of turning the brightness on my laptop display down, is there any other way I can achieve this?Thanks,Nick
Yes there is for example you can use a plugin called ENBR series which you can change the darkness of the night to a more realistic value and based on your own hardware / software / and preference.Do a search here we discussed that one a lot lolcheers,

André

Hi FolksNick -Time of year, latitude, moonlight, and cloudless weather, will all affect terrain night illumination.Is it still too bright at midnight in cloudy & moonless conditions ?Before changing your shaders,it might be worth trying Phil Taylor's posted tweaks.Before starting,ensure your videocard's Gamma Correction is zeroed,then adjust your monitor's brightness & contrast.Use a test utility e.g. CheckScreen, (works on XP), etc.Whilst the following relates to transitions,it may affect the "full night" state.IIRC, this will also affect terrain full-illumination to shadow-area contrast.

For the dusk/dawn textures some people feel, subjectively, the result is too dark or too light. There are 2 items that allow the transition time to be changed:[GRAPHICS]DAY_THRESHOLDNIGHT_THRESHOLDacceptible values are 0 to 65535. Defaults:DAY: 32768NIGHT: 4096These represent the amount of 'ambient' light at the ends of the day/night blend threshold. Zero is perfect dark, 65535 is full day sun at noon in the summer.
HTHATBPaul

Before changing your shaders,it might be worth trying Phil Taylor's posted tweaks.
Has anyone ever played with those day_threshold and night_threshold settings? I keep wanting to but never get around to it.scott s..

Guest Nick_N

I would NOT mess with the DAY_THRESHOLDNIGHT_THRESHOLDas those will NOT make nights or dusk/dawn darker ! It only changes WHEN that time occurs based on night lighting being enabled/disabled and the terminator filter (red) being shown... It changes the sim 'globally' and not just in one location which those settings may screw up one location and tweak another.The problem is not in that setting, its in the way Aces designed NIGHT ambient and the texturesGEX USCAN and Europe fixes the ground textures themselves but the ambient lighting is still not right and needs to be adjustedread the entire threadhttp://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=32482the last post deals with night driver settings for the monitor without the ENB modAlthough not perfect, the ENB mod settings I posted, dusk/dawn are much more realistic.. nights are far darker, but some may like more intensity to city and star light where the mod can be disabled and the driver control can be adjusted as posted.. you get the stars and city lights without the milkyway and other night sky illuminations

Thanks for the replies gents, I'll give them a try.
I just did it today. Followed Nicks thread and installed. I lowered his DarkeningAmountNight=35 to DarkeningAmountNight=30 and for me its just right. Nights, especially nights with no moon are so dark that you cant see a visible horizon and its easy to become disoriented. Also landing looks a lot more like it does in real life when you land on a runway with no center lights. Looks like your flying into a black hole in the ground.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator