•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Reset Default Flight (FSX)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 russellj

russellj

• Members
  • 466 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 01:26 PM

Can somebody please advise how to reset the default flight in FSX.In my config it has been changed and I want it reset.RegardsRussell Jourdain

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 yellowjack

yellowjack

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • Joined 8 Years and 17 Days Ago.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 02:15 PM

Can somebody please advise how to reset the default flight in FSX.In my config it has been changed and I want it reset.RegardsRussell Jourdain

As far as I know the default flight itself cannot be changed. However, it is possible to save a flght called "Default" as I have one but it is no the same as the original default flight. IIRC the original default starts in the air with the Trike. Have a close look at the flights available in free flight. I remember that the original default flight has something different about its presentation and is represented by what looks like a drawing.
John

#3 Opa

Opa

FS Addict - No hope for recovery!

• DECEASED
  • 4,420 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 8 Months

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:08 PM

On my FSX setup, the original default flight was the Trike, in the air over Friday Harbor in Washington State.It is stored in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Flights\other - and it's name on the HD is FLTSIM.FLT. On the list seen in the Select a Flight menu I believe it is entitled Over Puget Sound.Once you have loaded this flight and are in Fly Now mode, you can save the flight and put a check mark in the "make this the default flight" box in the save dialogue. This does NOT change the FLTSIM.FLT file - it only tells FSX to use this flight upon startup.Hoe that helps.
David "Opa" Marshall

#4 J van E

J van E

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 7,261 posts
  • Joined 8 Years and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

If you can'f find the file Opa mentioned:1. In case you haven't done a lot of tweaking in the fsx.cfg, remove fsx.cfg and start FSX. A new fsx.cfg will be made and the default flight will be loaded. Set everything up the way you want to and you are done. 2. If you have done a lot of tweaking in the fsx.cfg, move (not copy) the cfg to a save location, start FSX and save the original default flight that has appeared again, then quit FSX and A. copy the tweaks from the copy of the cfg you made into the new cfg or B. copy back the fsx.cfg to the original location (overwriting the new one): then load that saved default flight and change all the settings to your liking, because with that default flight the default settings will be saved two.

With regards,

Jeroen

#5 Opa

Opa

• DECEASED
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:55 PM

I overlooked outlining the "easiest" method to restore your default flight - without loosing any tweaks you may have made.Make a backup of your FSX.cfg file first.Then open your FSX.cfg file (using Notepad) and find the line which starts with Situation=. It will be under the [USERINTERFACE] label. If you have changed the default flight, Situation= will be followed by a complete path to the name of the FLT flight file you currently have as the default.Example: SITUATION=C:\Documents and Settings\Opa\My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\Southwest at KDAL(That is my current default flight)Delete everything after Situation= (being very careful not to take anything from the next entry - which on my system is Map_Orientation=2)When you are done it should look something like this:[USERINTERFACE]PageID=1OpenATCOnCreate=0SHOW_MISSION_CAPTIONS=0PAUSE_ON_LOST_FOCUS=0PROMPT_ON_EXIT=1SITUATION=Map_Orientation=2Save your work.Now when you restart FSX, it will use the original default flight because the situation= line is empty.I believe that is the simplest way to get back to the default flight.This is based upon my FSX setup - with XP as the Operating System.
David "Opa" Marshall

#6 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,067 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 21 Days Ago.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 07:59 PM

Actually, whatever you choose for your startup flight and save with the "Make this flight the default flight" is written to this file:C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\default.fltThis is the a/c I've set up as the "default flight" as my preference, and the position is saved as well in that file, which is KDAY at one of the G/A Ramps... :)[quote][Sim.0]Sim=Cessna Skyhawk 172SP Paint1[SimVars.0]Latitude=N39

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

"It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading." (Shin'a'in Proverb)

avsim_logo_small-100x50.png

#7 Opa

Opa

• DECEASED
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:47 PM

Actually, whatever you choose for your startup flight and save with the "Make this flight the default flight" is written to this file:C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\default.fltThis is the a/c I've set up as the "default flight" as my preference, and the position is saved as well in that file, which is KDAY at one of the G/A Ramps... :)If you have not saved a "custom default.flt" then the default.flt from the ..\Flights\other folder will be used.

That may be the way it works with your Operating System Bill, but on my FSX - XP setup, the path is different (as expected) and it does not save to a FLT file name default.flt as you say yours does - unless I give it that name when I save it (and make it the default flight).It simply saves it under whatever name I gave it and writes that info the the situation= line in the FSX.cfg file.Perhaps I just mis-understood your post.
David "Opa" Marshall

#8 Paul J

Paul J

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 5,918 posts
  • Joined 9 Years and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:07 AM

That may be the way it works with your Operating System Bill, but on my FSX - XP setup, the path is different (as expected) and it does not save to a FLT file name default.flt as you say yours does - unless I give it that name when I save it (and make it the default flight).It simply saves it under whatever name I gave it and writes that info the the situation= line in the FSX.cfg file.Perhaps I just mis-understood your post.

Bill's description is how it is on my system, Opa - Windows 7, so perhaps he's also using that. Sorry - (old age) - I don't remember what it was in XP. :(

#9 Opa

Opa

• DECEASED
  • 4,420 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 09:27 AM

Bill's description is how it is on my system, Opa - Windows 7, so perhaps he's also using that. Sorry - (old age) - I don't remember what it was in XP. http://forum.avsim.net/public/style_emot...

That explains it then -It may be a "change for the better" but somehow it strikes me as "change just for the sake of change".A bit like road construction here in Texas (and other places too I suspect). Seems they cannot widen a road without changing all the elevations also - which ups the cost of course.Think they must teach that at engineering schools..........lol.
David "Opa" Marshall

#10 n4gix

n4gix

Forum Moderator

• 12,067 posts
  • Joined 10 Years, 7 Months and 21 Days Ago.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 10:53 AM

Actually, the name is the recipie for success. When (re)setting your "default.flt" you actually name the file "default" -and- check off the option to "Make this flight the default flight..." :( As it happens, this works irrespective of your operating system, aside from the actual ..\path\foldername. I've done this using every OS from Win98SE through Win7 x 64. :(

Fr. Bill     us.png

Global Moderator

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Interests: Gauge Programming - 3d Modeling for Milviz

"It is not wise to contest forum moderators; they have more ways to admonish than you have of evading." (Shin'a'in Proverb)

avsim_logo_small-100x50.png

#11 russellj

russellj

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 466 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 04 January 2010 - 02:18 PM

Thanks all for your help.Removing the path after SITUATION = resolved my problem.RegardsRussell Jourdain

#12 Eckhart

Eckhart

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 4 Years, 3 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:14 PM

Same as Russell! Thanks Opa!!!