•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
- - - - -

FSX Real Weather vs. Weather Addon Programs

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Inactive Member_TonyPiech_***

Inactive Member_TonyPiech_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 7 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:55 PM

I like to fly in real weather conditions. Generally, what are the "extras" that I'm getting if I purchase a Weather Addon, e.g., ASA, etc. over using the "real-weather" settings in FSX. Will they give me similar weather results, or are there numerous adjustments/refinements when purchasing & installing addon weather programs? I'm just curious to know what are the positives in purchasing a weather addon?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 JSkorna

JSkorna

Member - 8,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 23,205 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 9 Months and 11 Days Ago.

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Hi Tony,I will post this link so that you can compare features:http://www2.hifisim.com/node/28After that I will leave the choice up to you and other members!
Thanks,

Jim
Posted Image
http://www.air-source.us/

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

#3 Petraeus

Petraeus

• Members
  • 416 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 9 Months and 26 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 05:12 AM

Will they give me similar weather results, or are there numerous adjustments/refinements when purchasing & installing addon weather programs?

Right now you will get accuracy in using anything other than FSX's real weather. I don't know what has happened to the FSX weather servers recently, but they are generating complete b*ll*cks. Last night I set up a flight from my local airport, clicked to see what the FSX "real weather" was, and it came back with a temperature of 58 degrees fahrenheit.Fine, except that the UK and much of Europe is going through a legendary cold spell right now. The whole of the British Isles is under snow, and the temperature has been below freezing for the entire past week. :( So anything is going to be better than FSX "real weather" at the moment.
Petraeus
Posted Image

#4 darem

darem

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • Joined 5 Years, 10 Months and 30 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 06:47 AM

My recommendation would bei REX for clouds and sky textures, and Active Sky Advanced for weather. While REX has its own weather engine, I never use it - and use ASA instead. It has given me the most realistic weather depiction, way better (and more configurable) than REX. I know this might be a matter of personal taste, but I can only say what I experience.

#5 FlyingsCool

FlyingsCool

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,793 posts
  • Joined 8 Years, 7 Months and 12 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:01 AM

My recommendation would bei REX for clouds and sky textures, and Active Sky Advanced for weather. While REX has its own weather engine, I never use it - and use ASA instead. It has given me the most realistic weather depiction, way better (and more configurable) than REX. I know this might be a matter of personal taste, but I can only say what I experience.

But I'm nearly totally uninterested in setting up my own weather. I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but do ASA and REX integrate with real weather so I can just load and go and fly in actual current conditions?
Tom Perry

Posted Image

#6 trisager

trisager

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,753 posts
  • Joined 6 Years, 7 Months and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

But I'm nearly totally uninterested in setting up my own weather. I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but do ASA and REX integrate with real weather so I can just load and go and fly in actual current conditions?

I'm using ASA, and as far as I can tell, yes - but I don't always fly close to where I live, so it can be difficult to compare conditions in the sim with the actual weather outside.I've used historical weather once or twice, to recreate specific flights that I've read about, but usually I just do what you describe - load and go.Tom
Tom Risager

NGX tutorial: http://library.avsim...ftp&DLID=162360
SIDs & STARs Worked Examples: LOWI-UUDD, KSEA-KLAX, EKCH-ENGM, YSCB-YPAD

#7 Paul J

Paul J

Member - 5,000+

• Members
  • 5,919 posts
  • Joined 9 Years and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:03 AM

You simply launch REX, pick the ready-made theme that looks as if you'll like it, click "install", and wait 'till it's done - then close REX. You need only to do this once. Then: start ASA and launch the FS from ASA. ASA will download the real weather data for wherever you're flying, but the displayed cloud cover will be REX textures. That's it! You are now flying with pretty much the real weather for your area. Together, these two apps make for very good and realistic weather, plus support is great from both companies.

i7-2600K@5.1-gig, using EK-Supreme HF waterblock, ASUS P8P67 B3 DL; EVGA GTX780; 8gig Corsair Vengeance C8@1600; Win 7-64; TH2G w/3x19" VA926; Homebuilt cockpit; MD-80-style throttle quadrant; TrackIR5: DX10 only.

#8 Noel

Noel

Member - 4,000+

• Donor
  • 4,452 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 21 Days Ago.

Donator

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:15 PM

I like to fly in real weather conditions. Generally, what are the "extras" that I'm getting if I purchase a Weather Addon, e.g., ASA, etc. over using the "real-weather" settings in FSX. Will they give me similar weather results, or are there numerous adjustments/refinements when purchasing & installing addon weather programs? I'm just curious to know what are the positives in purchasing a weather addon?

I'm happiest with REX2 weather, instead of ASX. For some reason, ASX will generate too many sets of clouds that do not go together, which quite well may be a function of the cloud sets themselves, which are not from ASX. Even so, I don't get this with REX weather, regardless of if I use cloud sets from FEX (somewhat better than REX IMO), or REX. If I were to get one product alone on this, it would be REX2.Noel
Noel

#9 deetee

deetee

• Members
  • 936 posts
  • Joined 7 Years, 6 Months and 24 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:14 PM

Like many here I use REX for textures and ASA for weather.There are two reasons for this:Firstly ASA updates the weather every few minutes, whereas REX weather engine requires you to fly a certain number of miles.Bit of a pain if you're pottering about in a Cessna.Secondly when I fly a scheduled flight for a VA, I want the weather conditions at the time of my flight and not right now.ASA allows me to do that; I set it to "Force To Sim Time".In the rare case of the flight being in the future, ASA will then automatically just use the current weather.No other weather program that I know of will do that so easily. :(
Dave

Looking for a friendly VA that provides the variety to keep you interested? Enjoyment is priority at Worldwide Virtual  B) 
2q1ulw7.jpg379304.png

#10 Inactive Member_marquisor_***

Inactive Member_marquisor_***
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:26 PM

is there a weather addon featuring moving/animated clouds??

#11 JSkorna

JSkorna

Member - 8,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 23,205 posts
  • Joined 11 Years, 9 Months and 11 Days Ago.

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:52 PM

Hi,Clouds move in FS no matter what, all you need is winds aloft. That is controlled by FSX, not by ANY add-on.
Thanks,

Jim
Posted Image
http://www.air-source.us/

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much

#12 Inactive Member_marquisor_***

Inactive Member_marquisor_***
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2010 - 07:54 PM

Hi,Clouds move in FS no matter what, all you need is winds aloft. That is controlled by FSX, not by ANY add-on.

hmmm unfortunately i don't see clouds moving or animated/morphing whatever. same goes with water. i got the REX addon.or i'm just stupid Posted Image

#13 kc49

kc49

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 1 Year, 1 Month and 20 Days Ago.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:00 PM

I had nothing but problems with REX. It crashed my flights everytime I used it. I deleted it and lost the money. No support from their website.

#14 timest

timest

Member - 2,000+

• Commercial Member
  • 2,518 posts
  • Joined 9 Years, 10 Months and 11 Days Ago.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

I had nothing but problems with REX. It crashed my flights everytime I used it. I deleted it and lost the money. No support from their website.

Yeah, sure... great first post by the way.

NO support is left unanswered or resolved, period.

Tim Fuchs - REX Games Studios - Developer

REX Support Forum

REX4 Direct

#15 FSMP

FSMP

Member - 1,000+

• Members
  • 1,293 posts
  • Joined 3 Years, 9 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Yeah, sure... great first post by the way.

NO support is left unanswered or resolved, period.

I hope you meant "unresolved"  :)

Geoff Ambrose