Sign in to follow this  
Guest TonyPiech

FSX Real Weather vs. Weather Addon Programs

Guest TonyPiech

I like to fly in real weather conditions. Generally, what are the "extras" that I'm getting if I purchase a Weather Addon, e.g., ASA, etc. over using the "real-weather" settings in FSX. Will they give me similar weather results, or are there numerous adjustments/refinements when purchasing & installing addon weather programs? I'm just curious to know what are the positives in purchasing a weather addon?

Will they give me similar weather results, or are there numerous adjustments/refinements when purchasing & installing addon weather programs?
Right now you will get accuracy in using anything other than FSX's real weather. I don't know what has happened to the FSX weather servers recently, but they are generating complete b*ll*cks. Last night I set up a flight from my local airport, clicked to see what the FSX "real weather" was, and it came back with a temperature of 58 degrees fahrenheit.Fine, except that the UK and much of Europe is going through a legendary cold spell right now. The whole of the British Isles is under snow, and the temperature has been below freezing for the entire past week. :( So anything is going to be better than FSX "real weather" at the moment.

Petraeus

My recommendation would bei REX for clouds and sky textures, and Active Sky Advanced for weather. While REX has its own weather engine, I never use it - and use ASA instead. It has given me the most realistic weather depiction, way better (and more configurable) than REX. I know this might be a matter of personal taste, but I can only say what I experience.

My recommendation would bei REX for clouds and sky textures, and Active Sky Advanced for weather. While REX has its own weather engine, I never use it - and use ASA instead. It has given me the most realistic weather depiction, way better (and more configurable) than REX. I know this might be a matter of personal taste, but I can only say what I experience.
But I'm nearly totally uninterested in setting up my own weather. I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but do ASA and REX integrate with real weather so I can just load and go and fly in actual current conditions?

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

But I'm nearly totally uninterested in setting up my own weather. I hope this isn't too stupid a question, but do ASA and REX integrate with real weather so I can just load and go and fly in actual current conditions?
I'm using ASA, and as far as I can tell, yes - but I don't always fly close to where I live, so it can be difficult to compare conditions in the sim with the actual weather outside.I've used historical weather once or twice, to recreate specific flights that I've read about, but usually I just do what you describe - load and go.Tom

You simply launch REX, pick the ready-made theme that looks as if you'll like it, click "install", and wait 'till it's done - then close REX. You need only to do this once. Then: start ASA and launch the FS from ASA. ASA will download the real weather data for wherever you're flying, but the displayed cloud cover will be REX textures. That's it! You are now flying with pretty much the real weather for your area. Together, these two apps make for very good and realistic weather, plus support is great from both companies.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I like to fly in real weather conditions. Generally, what are the "extras" that I'm getting if I purchase a Weather Addon, e.g., ASA, etc. over using the "real-weather" settings in FSX. Will they give me similar weather results, or are there numerous adjustments/refinements when purchasing & installing addon weather programs? I'm just curious to know what are the positives in purchasing a weather addon?
I'm happiest with REX2 weather, instead of ASX. For some reason, ASX will generate too many sets of clouds that do not go together, which quite well may be a function of the cloud sets themselves, which are not from ASX. Even so, I don't get this with REX weather, regardless of if I use cloud sets from FEX (somewhat better than REX IMO), or REX. If I were to get one product alone on this, it would be REX2.Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Like many here I use REX for textures and ASA for weather.There are two reasons for this:Firstly ASA updates the weather every few minutes, whereas REX weather engine requires you to fly a certain number of miles.Bit of a pain if you're pottering about in a Cessna.Secondly when I fly a scheduled flight for a VA, I want the weather conditions at the time of my flight and not right now.ASA allows me to do that; I set it to "Force To Sim Time".In the rare case of the flight being in the future, ASA will then automatically just use the current weather.No other weather program that I know of will do that so easily. :(

Guest marquisor

is there a weather addon featuring moving/animated clouds??

Hi,Clouds move in FS no matter what, all you need is winds aloft. That is controlled by FSX, not by ANY add-on.

Guest marquisor
Hi,Clouds move in FS no matter what, all you need is winds aloft. That is controlled by FSX, not by ANY add-on.
hmmm unfortunately i don't see clouds moving or animated/morphing whatever. same goes with water. i got the REX addon.or i'm just stupid Straight%20Face.gif

I had nothing but problems with REX. It crashed my flights everytime I used it. I deleted it and lost the money. No support from their website.

I had nothing but problems with REX. It crashed my flights everytime I used it. I deleted it and lost the money. No support from their website.

Yeah, sure... great first post by the way.

NO support is left unanswered or resolved, period.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

Yeah, sure... great first post by the way.

NO support is left unanswered or resolved, period.

I hope you meant "unresolved"  :)