Sign in to follow this  
Bill_KA350

Here's the "apparent" fix to fsx crashing (Win 7 x64)

I've been searching in vein to find this fix, and seems to work, at least for me, and others who have tried it.For some reason, the core problem lies with the uiautomationcore.dll library in Windows 7. I can't speak for crash's in other OS versions, but from what I've read, its mostly with Win 7 (x64), where Vista and XP work fine.The trick is to use the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll and place it into the Flight Simulator X folder. Some said that you have to register it, but just dropping it in the main directory where fsx.exe resides seems to work fine. Also, registering it is probably NOT a good idea, because it would then force any program running under Win 7 to use that Vista version, and may cause a crash of its own. You only want fsx.exe to use it exclusively.To my understanding, when an executable file is run, it will first look for any dll's locally in the same folder, then through its sub folders, then if it can't find it, the program will then look at the "system path" for it. In this case, the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll would be in that local location, load that library, and ignore the Windows 7 version.Note that its very important to NOT delete or replace uiautomationcore.dll in the System folder.FYI, the Windows 7 version number of uiautomationcore.dll is 6.1.7600.16386 (733kb). The Vista version is 6.0.5840.16386 (155kb). Here's a link to the Vista uiautomationcore.dll DLL.Just to be sure I place the Vista verion in the Flight Simulator X folder, but temporary renamed it (*.dllx), and ran fsx until it crashed (almost a certainty). I then changed it back (*.dll), and of the half dozen times I've ran fsx, it hasn't crashed yet (see crossed fingers).Good luck, and hope this works for you.Bill

• Upvote 4

Would placing this .dll file in the FSX main folder also help with CTD's and Vista 64...I'm getting occasional random CTD's with my VISTA 64 system and FSX unfortunately.

Chris Camp

After following the advice about the uiautomationcore.dll I can confirm its worked very well for me I just dropped the file into the FSX folder and that was that. I am not sure why but I also seem to have gained some FPS lol. Im flying the PMDG J41 at 26fps. Ive been flying around doing touch and goes for 2 hours and trying my hardest to get the sim to crash, I cant do it lol. Now bear im mine my PC is not all that fast I think thats really good and is all I need to fly stutter free. I cant wait for the PMDG 737NG now hehe.PS im using a vista 32 bit and nvidia card.

Guest jahman
After following the advice about the uiautomationcore.dll I can confirm its worked very well for me I just dropped the file into the FSX folder and that was that. I am not sure why but I also seem to have gained some FPS lol. Im flying the PMDG J41 at 26fps. Ive been flying around doing touch and goes for 2 hours and trying my hardest to get the sim to crash, I cant do it lol. Now bear im mine my PC is not all that fast I think thats really good and is all I need to fly stutter free. I cant wait for the PMDG 737NG now hehe.PS im using a vista 32 bit and nvidia card.
This is very odd!The uiautomationcore.dll bug is for 64-bit versions of uiautomationcore.dll found in 64-bit versions of Windows (Vista and 7, I don't know about XP) and the fix consists in getting FSX to use the 32-bit version of uiautomationcore.dll rather than the 64-bit one.But if you are already using Vista-32, then you are not using the 64-bit version of uiautomationcore.dll anyway, so dropping the file into your FSX directory would do nothing at all for you, except get you to use a different version of uiautomationcore.dll (could be an older one or a newer one.)Please help by posting information on the version of uiautomationcore.dll in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 vs. the version of the uiautomationcore.dll you placed in your FSX directory. (You can check the versions by right-clickinng on the file name with the mouse, then clicking on "Properties" and "File Version".)Thanks!- jahman.

Guest jahman
For some reason, the core problem lies with the uiautomationcore.dll library in Windows 7. I can't speak for crash's in other OS versions, but from what I've read, its mostly with Win 7 (x64), where Vista and XP work fine.
Bill,My understanding was that the uiautomationcore.dll bug was with the 64-bit version of uiautomationcore.dll found in Vista and W7 (and perhaps also XP?) and that the fix was to replace the 64-bit version of uiautomationcore.dll with the 32-bit one.See: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1712856Cheers,- jahman.

Brilliant solution to a very annoying problem. I don't know how someone figured this out, but I'm glad they did.

Guest firehawk44
Please help by posting information on the version of uiautomationcore.dll in your C:\WINDOWS\system32 vs. the version of the uiautomationcore.dll you placed in your FSX directory. (You can check the versions by right-clickinng on the file name with the mouse, then clicking on "Properties" and "File Version".)
I have never suffered this CTD and I have Win 7, 64 bit version installed as well as FSX/Acceleration.My Windows 7 version of the UIautomationCore.dll is 6.1.7600.16385 dated 7/13/2009 (this differs from the one posted above by Bill_KA350). I have the Windows 7 Home Premium Edition installed. It sits in my System32 folder.I do not have this .dll installed in any FSX directory.Best regards,Jim

Guest bratonabike
Bill,My understanding was that the uiautomationcore.dll bug was with the 64-bit version of uiautomationcore.dll found in Vista and W7 (and perhaps also XP?) and that the fix was to replace the 64-bit version of uiautomationcore.dll with the 32-bit one.See: http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtop...p;#entry1712856Cheers,- jahman.
but then if you switched the 64 bit dll with the 32 bit dll, what about the other things you want to run? (vegas pro 9 for example)

I have this exact same problem and i have windows 7. i have searched for the windows 7 .dll on the website with the windows vista .dll but cannot find it. could someone please direct me to it? Thank you so much

Guest firehawk44
Where is the FSX.exe located?
Normally at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/fsx.exeBest regards,Jim

Normally at C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Microsoft Flight Simulator X/fsx.exe Best regards,Jim
I've been searching in vein to find this fix, and seems to work, at least for me, and others who have tried it. For some reason, the core problem lies with the uiautomationcore.dll library in Windows 7. I can't speak for crash's in other OS versions, but from what I've read, its mostly with Win 7 (x64), where Vista and XP work fine. The trick is to use the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll and place it into the Flight Simulator X folder. Some said that you have to register it, but just dropping it in the main directory where fsx.exe resides seems to work fine. Also, registering it is probably NOT a good idea, because it would then force any program running under Win 7 to use that Vista version, and may cause a crash of its own. You only want fsx.exe to use it exclusively. To my understanding, when an executable file is run, it will first look for any dll's locally in the same folder, then through its sub folders, then if it can't find it, the program will then look at the "system path" for it. In this case, the Vista version of uiautomationcore.dll would be in that local location, load that library, and ignore the Windows 7 version. Note that its very important to NOT delete or replace uiautomationcore.dll in the System folder. FYI, the Windows 7 version number of uiautomationcore.dll is 6.1.7600.16386 (733kb). The Vista version is 6.0.5840.16386 (155kb). Here's a link to the Vista uiautomationcore.dll DLL. Just to be sure I place the Vista verion in the Flight Simulator X folder, but temporary renamed it (*.dllx), and ran fsx until it crashed (almost a certainty). I then changed it back (*.dll), and of the half dozen times I've ran fsx, it hasn't crashed yet (see crossed fingers). Good luck, and hope this works for you. Bill
Do you literally just paste it into the list of things like "autogen" and "addon sceenery" in >Microsoft Flight Simulator X or is there something more to it than that? Someone said in another forum post about shift right clicking "open command prompt here"

Do you literally just paste it into the list of things like "autogen" and "addon sceenery" in >Microsoft Flight Simulator X or is there something more to it than that? Someone said in another forum post about shift right clicking "open command prompt here"
If this file is not already in your Windows system folder, the UIAutomationCore.dll file would then be located under the core FSX folder (the same folder that fsx.exe is in). My suggestion is (if it already exists in FSX) to just rename the origional UIAutomationCore.dll file to something like UIAutomationCore.dll.orig, then copy the Vista version in the same folder. Remember, if this dll exists in your Windows system folder, do not delete, copy, or rename the existing UIAutomationCore.dll file.