Sign in to follow this  
corkyo4

Flying the Maddog MD-80

Hi,I got the MD80 addon ages back and havenet really gotten off to a good start with it. I dont know whether it is me or the actual software itself but some advice would be good.I must admit i havent completed the tutorial flight but had flicked through the manual to familiarise myself with the setup.I will list the problems im having and perhaps you people could give me a solution1. When selecting the aircraft in FSX free flight setup, several sound effects seem to set them selves off, one of which being STALL.2. How do i switch on PD and ND, the manual suggests using the controls to the side of the gauge but they dont work.3. When taking off and pushing throttles to full power, just before i rotate one of the engines dies. (i am thinking this may be an accurate simulation of what might happen if you open throttles to full for problonged periods???? would seem strange that this would happen though)4. The liveries from the leonardon website install ok, but when i select a plane with a different livery, the panel wont load up.5. There seems to be a panel update on the leonardo website but when i go to install it says it cant install.I suppose i should post these questions on the leonardo forum, but i really dont want to have to register in another forum.ThanksTom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722

Hehehe! Hi Tom! Welcome to the Maddog. Best advice: Go over to the Maddog forum:-http://www.flythemaddog.com/forum/..... and do a search for the "Quick 'n' Dirty Guide" to flying the Maddog. There's too much involved to give you a blow-by-blow "how-to" in the time I have between now and leaving work. Just register and browse the forum. If you can do this you will be flying successfully - on two engines - within thirty minutes, and the other questions will be answered too.There are some very expert pilots - many r/w - who can help you with all phases of managing this aircraft, from the ground right up to shared cockpit, to any type of system management you have problems with. There's a lot to learn. OK?Regards,

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

OK - I'm home, Tom: here's the Quick n Dirty:-Have fun!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

3. When taking off and pushing throttles to full power, just before i rotate one of the engines dies. (i am thinking this may be an accurate simulation of what might happen if you open throttles to full for problonged periods???? would seem strange that this would happen though)
Here's a hint: Don't press F4! :( If while accelerating to TOGA thrust you see the EGT indicators blinking, abort the takeoff! Solution: Set manually 1.4 EPR, then with your engines stabilised (and the TOGA buttons pushed, FMA reads TAK OFF/TAK OFF) arm the Autothrottle, it will set it for you on the very limit. Don't exceed 10 mins in this thrust mode. You have to switch to CLB mode (on the TRP, right of the engine indications) at 800ft.If any question rises up with regard of this awesome bird, you can always contact me.Best regards

Guest hmstiger
Here's a hint: Don't press F4! :( If while accelerating to TOGA thrust you see the EGT indicators blinking, abort the takeoff! Solution: Set manually 1.4 EPR, then with your engines stabilised (and the TOGA buttons pushed, FMA reads TAK OFF/TAK OFF) arm the Autothrottle, it will set it for you on the very limit. Don't exceed 10 mins in this thrust mode. You have to switch to CLB mode (on the TRP, right of the engine indications) at 800ft.If any question rises up with regard of this awesome bird, you can always contact me.Best regards
The plane is not buggy - someone here said a while ago its a good representation of the transition aircraft between the steam engine VOR to VOR birds of the first generation of jet airliners to the full glass cockpits that emerged in the late 1980s. Things have to be done exactly the way the engineers in Long Beach intended, or you will end up with two smoldering cigars of molten metal on your tail and yourself likely watching the ground come up very, very fast. You will feel like you have accomplished something when you get the flows and the procedures down.

Thanks all.I'm going to take the time to get used to this bird. I don't think I gave it enough of a chance when I first tried it. Unlike alot of addons you can get away with not being fully upto speed with the systems and still fly.Seems this has caught me out and needs alot more respect.Tom

Tom

Why not read some useful tips and tricks - http://forum.avsim.n...22#entry1965722