Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Scenery Library - maximum number of entries?

My scenery.cfg file has 1106 areas. Not that I have more than a small percentage active at any one time (even so, some will think that excessive maybe?!) - I use a very neat little programme called Scenery Align (AVSIM) to activate/deactivate scenery blocks according to where I am flying - takes just a mouse-click.But it appears there's a limit to the number of areas that can appear in the Settings/Scenery Library within FS9. I searched the web on this, and people say there is a limit/there isn't a limit depending where you look (usual sort of story!). The last 6 entries in my scenery.cfg file (that is, the ones with highest priority, 1106, 1105 etc.) don't appear in the FS9 scenery library window - that starts at the top with my no.7. For instance my No.1 scenery is AES, then at No2. FS Genesis mesh (giving it low priority, as its a mesh database, of course). Neither of those appear in the Scenery Library, even though they are marked active in the scenery.cfg file.However, if I delete a dozen or so entries in the scenery.cfg file (I have a backed up 'master copy' of course), say from somewhere in the middle, and restart FS9, then all the entries at the top of the cfg file, like AES and FS Genesis, reappear in the FS9 file library. Reinstate the deleted sceneries, so that the total exceeds 1099 again, and they once again disappear in the FS9 library. Has anyone ever come across this 'magic' number of 1099 as the limit the FS9 File Library can show before? Looks as if it is the case - unless someone can say they get more than this number showing in their FS9 setup of course.As I use Scenery Align and the scenery.cfg file to install new sceneries, I hardly ever look at the File Library within FS9 - so was a bit shocked when I saw that some of my sceneries were missing there. I immediately checked that sceneries which are active in the cfg file, but not showing at all in the File Library are in fact working in the sim - and they are; so it's the cfg file that counts, not what you see in the settings/file library.Anyone already discovered this? A Google search came up with nothing..Martin

Martin, you have asked a question if 'anyone discovered this'.Let's say nobody knows the correct answer. Do you want people to make their entries like 'no, I didn't', or 'me either'?If so I can start: I don't know. :( My number of scenery entries usually stays between 100 and 200 (125 at the moment).I've never experienced any problems with that.

My comment was ironic, hence the smiley thing.. If no one has anything to contribute to the topic, no problem of course, but I sort of hoped someone with over 1099 scenery entries in the library may say whether they had the same problem or not.Whatever, I thought I'd just 'bump' the thread once, as after a few days, topics get 'lost' rather. (Would you have replied if I hadn't done so?)..Martin :(

My comment was ironic, hence the smiley thing.. If no one has anything to contribute to the topic, no problem of course, but I sort of hoped someone with over 1099 scenery entries in the library may say whether they had the same problem or not.Whatever, I thought I'd just 'bump' the thread once, as after a few days, topics get 'lost' rather. (Would you have replied if I hadn't done so?)..Martin :(
Just a few comments which may be of help..........FS2002 did have a maximum number (about 332) of scenery entries. When you exceeded that number, FS2002 would randomly (and without warning) remove a scenery entry to make way for a new one.In searching through the "error messages" which are stored in the FS2004 language.dll file, there is this warning message:"SCENERY.CFG has too many sections in it. The maximum number of sections is about 1000. Click ABORT to Exit Flight Simulator."I have never seen that message actually displayed - but the implication is that there indeed is a "limit" to the number of entries and the sim may do as FS2002 did when you exceed that limit.That is what my research has uncovered - for what it may be worth.

My comment was ironic, hence the smiley thing.. If no one has anything to contribute to the topic, no problem of course, but I sort of hoped someone with over 1099 scenery entries in the library may say whether they had the same problem or not.
Hi Martin,I can confirm that my setup runs without issues and is currently at 1130 entries. It may be that the comment about not seeing entries in the Scenery Library means that higher numbers are not displayed there, but I'm sure that doesn't stop them working. I always use the FS Navigator Database module to add sceneries as I find it much easier that way (you can do it without running Flight Simulator).(Just checked while writing this and yes, in the Scenery Library I do not see my highest layers in the scenery.cfg (1100-1130) but they definitely are active)Likewise, I think you will find that AFD files will not show in AFCAD2 at high-numbered levels, I guess Lee Swordy never expected FS2004 to last so long and get so many add-ons.I don't know what causes the error message David mentions but I haven't experienced it myself.Best wishes,John

My co-pilot's name is Sid and he's a star!

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org

I havent reached the limit yet, but this information has been good to know from what I have read so far.Thanks for the post!

Interesting. I've not seen the message David mentions either.. As I said, the sceneries start to be omitted from the File Library after 1099, but the 'missing' ones are all active anyway, so it's not really an issue - as long as sceneries do not start being deleted by FS from the scenery.cfg file!Not noticed any missing AFCADs in AFCAD2, I must say..MartinIncidentally, David, what programme do you use to open & read the dll file?Martin

Interesting. I've not seen the message David mentions either.. As I said, the sceneries start to be omitted from the File Library after 1099, but the 'missing' ones are all active anyway, so it's not really an issue - as long as sceneries do not start being deleted by FS from the scenery.cfg file!Not noticed any missing AFCADs in AFCAD2, I must say..MartinIncidentally, David, what programme do you use to open & read the dll file?Martin
The program is called Resource Hacker (terrible name but a great utility).You can find it here:http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/I have used it to modify the Brakes and other messages. You may be familar with this download:http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?CatID...amp;DLID=139493Resource Hacker is what I used to create that.

Ah yes, I remember that I downloaded Resource Hacker ages ago as part of a plan to change the colour of my XP Start button from that bright green to something a bit more 'tasteful' (never got it to work - it's remained bright green to this day!) - I assume it's the same programme. Same name anyway. The version you link to will be much more up to date I am sure. I'll have a look..Thanks,Martin

Ah yes, I remember that I downloaded Resource Hacker ages ago as part of a plan to change the colour of my XP Start button from that bright green to something a bit more 'tasteful' (never got it to work - it's remained bright green to this day!) - I assume it's the same programme. Same name anyway. The version you link to will be much more up to date I am sure. I'll have a look..Thanks,Martin
Now you have made me curious - what Bright Green XP Start button are you referring to?Got a screenshot of it?

The main Start button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen in XP.. :-)M.

The main Start button in the bottom left-hand corner of the screen in XP.. :-)M.
I guess mine is different as I have my XP setup in "Classic" mode.This what what my Start button looks like: