Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

Three things I did to rid computer of FSX freeze/hang

After two days of trying one thing, and everything...I did the following that has broken the hold...1. Installed the latest RealTek R243 High Definition Sound Driver2. Installed the UIAutomation.Dll in the root FSX folder3. Uninstalled FSPassengersX Program DemoOnly one, or the combination of all three FINALLY rid me of the FSX random freeze/hang syndrome.I'm presently enjoying a great flight from PNW's Portland Int, to Toronto, Can with REX2's 1024 textured clouds sets that is allowing me to have 100 percent full cloud coverage and still maintain 30 FPS!The dawn sky out of Portland is truly breathtaking with REX2 set up this way. I personally think the 1024 cloud sets look every bit as good as the 4096 texture set I had been running with. 100 percent cloud coverage on the slider is something to see....Main point though....take heart, if you do all of the above that I did, there is no reason that you should not also get rid of the freeze hang if you have that issue. Obviously SOMETHING to do with any of the above was the offending party. 'Nuff said, back to the flight...and thankfully once more uninterrupted.Cheers,Mitch

Thanks, Mitch: I found this post, which backs up your finding, so I will try it this morning.http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=203306

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

2. Installed the UIAutomation.Dll in the root FSX folder
Did you just drop the file in the root FSX folder or did you also install it into the register or something?

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

Guest Shockwave

Well, I tried before, maybe this time it will sink in. :( What Mitch fails to mention is that he had a driver conflict in the first instance. He has A Creative Soundcard (which does not use Realtek drivers) installed yet at the same time had the integrated sound enabled in his BIOS for the Motherboard (RealTek). That was one of his issues in the---> first place that a reinstall of the driver only reset a priority for and masked his awarness to it that allowed him to have a more succesful flight.Now that he has disabled the onboard integrated sound, windows is no longer loading the RealTek driver and there no longer is a -->hardware/driver conflict. :( Why he keeps mentioning to download a certain driver that he no longer uses and without mentioning the conflict thatwould make a mess of any windows system is beyond me and kind of a disservice to all who read his post and start looking for a driver they dont need. He should be just saying "I had a conflict, make sure you dont" and get rid of the whole "down-load this driver" section if his post.

He has A Creative Soundcard (which does not use Realtek drivers) installed yet at the same time had the integrated sound enabled in his BIOS for the Motherboard (RealTek). That was one of his issues in the---> first place that a reinstall of the driver only reset a priority for and masked his awarness to it that allowed him to have a more succesful flight.Now that he has disabled the onboard integrated sound, windows is no longer loading the RealTek driver and there no longer is a -->hardware/driver conflict.
Yes, I was wondering about too. Thanks for clearing that up, Shockwave. I have my onboard sound turned off in my Asus P6T BIOS because I have a Create XtremeGamer sound card so installing the RealTek driver that Sesquashtoo mentioned should have no effect. If you have a dedicated sound card, that is.I also will second Sesquashtoo's suggestion about installing the UIAutomation.Dll in your FSX home folder. I did have a couple of random FSX crashes, but after I placed the UIAutomation.Dll in FSX's home a few months ago, I've had no crashes since.

Did you just drop the file in the root FSX folder or did you also install it into the register or something?
I put it into the FSX root directory.Mitch

Well, I tried before, maybe this time it will sink in. :( What Mitch fails to mention is that he had a driver conflict in the first instance. He has A Creative Soundcard (which does not use Realtek drivers) installed yet at the same time had the integrated sound enabled in his BIOS for the Motherboard (RealTek). That was one of his issues in the---> first place that a reinstall of the driver only reset a priority for and masked his awarness to it that allowed him to have a more succesful flight.Now that he has disabled the onboard integrated sound, windows is no longer loading the RealTek driver and there no longer is a -->hardware/driver conflict. :( Why he keeps mentioning to download a certain driver that he no longer uses and without mentioning the conflict thatwould make a mess of any windows system is beyond me and kind of a disservice to all who read his post and start looking for a driver they dont need.He should be just saying "I had a conflict, make sure you dont" and get rid of the whole "down-load this driver" section if his post.
=================================================Ah no...I disagree. I very much disagree in fact! I had my system SHIPPED with that driver as enabled from the factory last July..and had no issues whatsoever with the sound or with FSX. This issue (freeze/hangup) has only come into play this last month or so. The first thing I did that was a positive effort to rid myself of this P.I.T.A. was to update the RealTek driver that seems to be left behind as your O.S. matures via M.S. updates and downloads. So...there was no issue with drivers that you mentioned even from the start. I might have stumbled upon something as per my due diligence of the last two full days. Putting in the new RealTek (latest driver) was part of my 3-punch attempt to end these freezes and hangs with sound playing still in the background, that for my effort as per my recent posts, was totally successful.Nobody that ever posted in this forum is seen as a pivotal 'expert'. I believe that EVERYTHING ....every avenue that causes all of us to raise our eyebrows..and perhaps 'check it out' has only been for the positive. I scoured the Net and found many posts that postulated there might be a 'sound' event/issue behind the latest bout of FSX freeze/hangs. It made me think that there could be an interaction with any of the updates that we alter our O.S. coding with on a monthly basis. I'm not saying that my installing the new and latest RealTek driver was the definitive answer to this growing FSX anomaly---but I will say that it certainly did not hinder my ultimately arriving with a 'clean slate'/no freeze hang FSX once more. For my part...if I read that in doing three things that would not harm my system in any way; got totally RID of this P.I.T.A. fault, I'd do all that the poster did in a heart-beat. But, that is myself, and all others act by different stimuli.Mitch

Guest Shockwave

I think we all get what you said Mitch. :( It doesn't take a "pivotal expert" to know that you should not ever run both pieces of hardware together, as well as that your system is no longer using the Realtek driver since you disabled onboard sound. The point is that not including the fact of your hardware conflict makes it seem that either you still don

Here are the key components to a successfull FSX install with Windows 7 64 in my experience:1. Turn off UAC2. Make sure all Windows 7 64 system updates are installed.2. Install all files as ADMINISTRATOR3. Follow NickN's FSX install guide EXACTLY (I installed SP1 and Acceleration) LINK: NickN's FSX Install Guide 4. Install the FSX SDK packs and activate the simconnect DLL's (SP1 and Acceleration, follow directions EXACTLY) LINK: FSX SDK Install Guide5. Make sure your Microsoft C++ Redistributable files are updated LINK: Microsoft C++ Redistributable download site6. Download and place a copy of msvcr71.dll in main FSX directory LINK: msvcr71.dll download site7. Download and place a copy of UIAutomationCore.dll in main FSX directory LINK: UIAutomationCore.dll download site8. Set FSX to run as ADMINISTRATOR (I also set it to run in XP SP3 compatibility mode, but not sure if this is required)9. If any of your FSX add-ons require access to the internet, make sure to allow them access past the Windows firewall. This includes FSX itself, and other programs like FSInn, Squawkbox, REX, etc.10. Update your video card and motherboard drivers if needed.11. I also recommend installing and registering the latest version of FSUIPC.