•  

Where Flight Simulation Enthusiasts Gather from Around the World!

HOT SPOTS:
 rarrow.gif The 2014 Demographic Survey! - NEW!

rarrow.gif What's new in the Library

rarrow.gif Member Blogs

rarrow.gif Member Reviews - Contribute a Review!
rarrow.gif Bargain Hunters Forum
rarrow.gif Classified, Want, Swap Ads

rarrow.gif AVSIM Team Speak System

rarrow.gif Video Library
rarrow.gif Image Gallery
rarrow.gif Community Links Library
rarrow.gif Tutorials

rarrow.gif FS9. FSX & P3D CTD Guide

rarrow.gif FSX / P3D Configuration Guide

rarrow.gif AVSIM Publications 

Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight and simulation communities. Please help us keep it that way. Donate what you can today! Thank you for your support!

. . .
Photo
- - - - -

Jaggies in FSX

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,568 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 5 Months and 22 Days Ago.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 12:51 PM

Attached are screen shots showing the problem.Basically AA works fine in FS9 but not in FSX.Card is a Nvidia GF8800GT 512MB. Using nHancer with AA set to 8xS in both global and profile for FS9 & FSX. Have followed the NickN settings.AA seems to work initially in FSX windowed mode but 'fails' in less than a second!!!!Can anyone offer a solution or reason why this is happening?BTW Screen res is 1280x1024, native for my 17" LCD monitor.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

#2 McCrash

McCrash

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,484 posts
  • Joined 11 Years and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 18 March 2010 - 06:04 PM

I have no way to test this parameter because AA works for me, but you can try it and see if it helps your situtation.In the' fsx.cfg' file under the 'display' area add the line ForceFullScreenVSync=TRUEWhat nVidia driver release are you using?

#3 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:26 AM

I have no way to test this parameter because AA works for me, but you can try it and see if it helps your situtation.In the' fsx.cfg' file under the 'display' area add the line ForceFullScreenVSync=TRUEWhat nVidia driver release are you using?

Drivers are 174.74That VSync line has not made any difference but I think there may be other problems.I have had g3d.dll errors with FSX and switching between full screen and windowed mode often causes FSX to hang :(

#4 McCrash

McCrash

Member - 2,000+

• Members
  • 2,484 posts
  • Joined 11 Years and 6 Days Ago.

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

Drivers are 174.74That VSync line has not made any difference but I think there may be other problems.I have had g3d.dll errors with FSX and switching between full screen and windowed mode often causes FSX to hang :(

Try the 186.18 driver release. They seem to work best on my system. All the 195's seems to lack IQ on my system.

#5 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 12:10 PM

OK I'll try the 186.18s althouh in the past I have tried different drivers without any change.What gets me is why FS9 windowed mode is OK, the very first 'display' in FSX is OK and FSX under Vista is OK :(

#6 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:01 AM

This is bizarre!!I have uninstalled nHancer so only the Nvidia control panel is left to control graphics settings.Settings for both global and FSX are set to application control yet FSx, with its AA ticked, is showing no jaggies and, subjectively, is showing an image quality similar to that of 8xs with Nhancer!!!! Also the frame rates indicate strong AA is taking place..go figure???????

#7 Inactive Member_Shockwave_***

Inactive Member_Shockwave_***
  • Guests
  • Joined 44 Years, 7 Months and 29 Days Ago.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:54 AM

This is bizarre!!I have uninstalled nHancer so only the Nvidia control panel is left to control graphics settings.

That is why.The NV CP has been broken for some time, thats why we use the Nhancer, or Rvtuner or what ever else you want to use to hack the regestry and getting it working.Reinstall Nhancer and set it back up for FSX, dont forget to check the "allow override" box.

#8 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:45 PM

That is why.The NV CP has been broken for some time, thats why we use the Nhancer, or Rvtuner or what ever else you want to use to hack the regestry and getting it working.Reinstall Nhancer and set it back up for FSX, dont forget to check the "allow override" box.

Think you miss understood my post.The screen shots are WITH Nhancer running.After I uninstalled it and just used the Nvidia CP and ticked AA in FSX I get no jaggies, the buildings and aircraft look fine.

#9 w6kd

w6kd

Forum Moderator

• 4,584 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 22 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

If it were me, I'd uninstall nHancer and the driver, boot to safe mode and run Driver Cleaner to get rid of any lingering artifacts of old drivers, then reboot and install the nVidia 182.50 drivers and nHancer 2.5.7 and set it up again. If you're overclocking the GPU, I'd set it back down to stock speeds also while you do this.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)
ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

#10 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:21 PM

Hi Bob,I did the full uninstall/driver cleaner routine when I went from my existing 174.74 drivers to the 186.16 McCrash suggested.When that still didn't cure the problem I uninstalled nHancer and delected any extendedprofiles and then started FSX to see what the graphics were like with basically no settings, that's why I was surprised to see a perfectly clear, none jaggie display.FSX now looks like screen shot 1!I will try what you suggest Bob and reinstall nHancer but if the display goes back to jaggies then I will just run without nHnacer.BTW Neither graphics nor CPU are o/cd.Thanks for the help guys.

#11 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 23 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

Carried out your suggestions Bob an I still have the jaggies.Even installed 4GB RAM to see if that would help but no change.So I will uninstall nHancer and see if FS9 & FSX go back to a smooth display, fingers crossed.Ah. I've just been looking at the GPU info and see in 'Attached Displays' 'Adapter not implemented yet', wonder if that means nHancer is not affecting the video card?

#12 w6kd

w6kd

Forum Moderator

• 4,584 posts
  • Joined 12 Years, 1 Month and 5 Days Ago.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 03:03 AM

Is the nHancer version you're using appropriate for the driver version? For example, the latest (2.5.7 I think) nHancer requires nVidia driver 182.50 or later.RegardsBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott
Colonel, USAF (ret)
ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

#13 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 10:44 AM

Is the nHancer version you're using appropriate for the driver version? For example, the latest (2.5.7 I think) nHancer requires nVidia driver 182.50 or later.Regards

from the nHancer web site Bob driver 182 and higher requires nHancer 2.5.1 or higher so using your suggested 182.50 nHancer version was correct.I will have another 'play' when I can.RegardsDave

#14 Vulcan

Vulcan

Member - 2,000+

• Topic Starter
  • Members
  • 2,568 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 06:45 AM

Well I think I have cured the jaggie problem in FSX thanks to posts in the Flightsim Labs Concorde forum.It seems a number of people were having graphics problems withe the FSX Concorde and it was said that it was a memory issue even though you may not get a OOM error.I increased my RAM to 4GB and went back to 174 drivers and the earlier version of nHancer. I added the userva=2560 switch and that seems to have cured the problem.